Gibson Brands Forums

I Feel Old

Rocky4

Most of my guitar heroes are at least 10 years older than me and still sound good, so I'm good.

And Daryl, I didn't think it would ever happen, but some of those moms are starting to look pretty good.

I'm 64 but my balls don't reach my knees and I take a dump just fine. I may not always know of some rock group or another but that doesn't make me feel old. I realize I can't keep up with all the stuff that comes out even though I try not to stay stuck in some old stuff from the past. That helps to not feel old.

Bull****!!!

"Most"- new music sucks ***...

Edit.. Most new bands...

I can not listen to much of the new stuff, what ever they call this rap mixed with voice synthesizers, it stinks..That is not to say there are no talented musicians out there.

Whenever I hear a statement that this or that new music sucks or is somehow not music, I'm remended of my youth when some of the "older" folks would lament, "You call that music?!" I resolved that no matter I would not make a blanket condemnation like that. It keeps me young.

Whenever I hear a statement that this or that new music sucks or is somehow not music' date=' I'm remended of my youth when some of the "older" folks would lament, "You call that music?!" I resolved that no matter I would not make a blanket condemnation like that. It keeps me young.[/quote']

You got it gramps! To me, rap is not music, but it definitely should be considered a legitimate art form. Just 'cuz I don't like doesn't mean it's illegitimate.

The reason "New Music" seems to suck worse than old music is because the bad is still mixed with the good. By the time stuff gets "Old" the crap has died and flaked off.

I was a kid in the 80's, so here's an 80's example. A lot of young guitarists love Iron Maiden, Dio, Scorpions, Metallica, G&R, and so many of the great 80's bands that they think the 80's kicked ***.

The reality of the 80's was Bulletboys, Docken, White Lion, Autograph, WASP, Europe, LA Gunns, Warrant, Slaughter, Firehouse, Faster *****cat....the list of Crap goes on for pages longer than the list of good stuff.

I'm stuck in the past' date=' alright. I'm just too lazy to listen to all the stuff I should.

[/quote']

It's not like that for me - although I do love Humble Pie - I listen to lots of "new" stuff that I do like.

Some of the examples posted just do not happen to be on the list... but I try.

I guess that doesn't count.

I'm almost 19 years old and can't stand to listen to a lot of today's music. Modern progressive rock bands like Coheed and Cambria are ok, but anything metal will drive me nuts. I grew up around my parents who listened to stuff from the 30s-60s. So I'm hooked on rock n roll. Sure, There's still a lot of bands from those days i haven't heard of yet, but the ones I have just really blew my mind.

I listened to AC/DC for the longest time, and then i discovered The White Stripes. I started listening to a lot of Jack White stuff, and that introduced me to even older stuff like Sam "Lightnin" Hopkins, T-Bone Walker, and Son House, just to name a few. And I'm still looking for old artists like that today.

For me, it's not so much rather it's NEW or not. GOOD music is timeless.

Bad guitar tones stuffed with F-bombs just for the sake of it are not entertaining to me. I guess if you have a 14 year old mentality it's cool.

The same goes for random chord changes with no thought (or knowledge) of theory.

I dislike mediocre music/musicians quite a lot and on average there are far more mediocre acts being signed than there were a few decades ago, which explains a lot.

Whenever I hear a statement that this or that new music sucks or is somehow not music' date=' I'm remended of my youth when some of the "older" folks would lament, "You call that music?!" I resolved that no matter I would not make a blanket condemnation like that. It keeps me young.[/quote']

But at least what we listened to was music....Rap is about as close to being music as Cheerleading is to dancing.

But at least what we listened to was music....Rap is about as close to being music as Cheerleading is to dancing.

Cheerleading is very close to dancing and rap is no less music than some of the noise passed as music from groups with names like Satan's Killers or Slaughter with singers who seem to want to sound like a horror movie monster.

If there are any bands or songs you want to listen to, but don't want to buy the cd, or download the song, you can go to youtube and listen and see them there. People post entire tracks from albums and cds. With a little bit more know how, you can actually rip the sound from the youtube video straight to an mp3 file...

Don't be afraid to check out the newer bands you've never heard of, you might find something you really like.

It sounds like you're more out of touch with that genre of Rock than getting old. You have different preferences...

Yeah' date=' you're just out of touch.

I'm 41 and know of and listen to most of those bands you mentioned.

CANDLEMASS!

Vocals like Jack Bruce (Cream) and melodic doom metal.

The new stuff with Robert Lowe from Solitude Aeturnus is great too but I'm still a fan of Marcolin.

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

Cheerleading is very close to dancing and rap is no less music than some of the noise passed as music from groups with names like Satan's Killers or Slaughter with singers who seem to want to sound like a horror movie monster.

The US Supreme Court just ruled cheer leading isn't a sport. So I'll change the comparison....Rap is as close to music as cheer leading is to sports. And the Supreme's agree...[cool]

according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary music requires rhythm, melody and harmony.

Say's nothing about a fake drum machine or a manipulated record player....I'm not saying everything recorded pre rap was good....

Sorry to butt in, however, Slaughter is the last name of the Singer Rhythm Guitar Player, Mark Slaughter. They were a very commercial pop version of hard rock. Almost Easy Listening. He has a pretty good voice, not one of the "Cookie Monster with Roid Rage" singers.

I got some 'splaining to do.

First, I'm not real familiar with the names of the "hard rock" bands so Slaughter was just trying to come up with a name that fit.

Second, the Supreme Court did not say cheerleading wasn't dancing, just doesn't qualify as a recognized competitive "sport".

I don't care much for the hard stuff or rap but I can't say either is not music, I just don't care for either about the same.

Seeing the great second albums thread' date=' I realized I didn't recognize half the bands mentioned.

In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Mastodon, Candlemass, etc. Never heard of 'em, and judging by their names, I have no intention of giving them a listen. I'm 46 and wonder what would have been the equivalent to these bands when I was younger. Motorhead? Some of the obscure punk bands from the 70s like X?

[/quote']

Heh Im 35 and havent heard of any of those bands either, nor care too lol.

Archived