Gibson Brands Forums

The misspelling of the brand Squier

Riffster

Drives me nuts, looking at the posts on Henry's forum and everywhere matter a fact.

it is Squier not Squire.

This month Vintage Guitar magazine has a small article with John 5 and they talk about how there is a Squire version of his signature guitar.

They spell it Squire twice in the article...and this is a well respected Magazine...

Mini rant over....;)

Drives me nuts' date=' looking at the posts on Henry's forum and everywhere matter a fact.

it is Squier not Squire.

This month Vintage Guitar magazine has a small article with John 5 and they talk about how there is a Squire version of his signature guitar.

They spell it Squire twice in the article...and this is a well respected Magazine...

Mini rant over....[biggrin

I'm sure that was me.

I'm guilty of not looking it up.

Just to stir it a little...

I've had more than one Squier piece that excels - a '51 that is all that, and a fretless J-bass that is more than all that.

(FWIW - my Mac spell checker wants me to "correct" the spelling of "S Q U I E R"... that might be part of the "problem")

I'm a horrible speller. All I can say is thank God for spell correctors' date=' I love technology....[biggrin']

Yes, but a spell corrector probably wouldn't catch it since squire is a correctly spelled word. In fact it would probably suggest squire to correct squier.[biggrin]

Squier was a string company before Fender bought it - and I assume it was named after its founder' date=' since "Squier" is a surname, though not incredibly common.[/quote']

I've learned something new today!

Thanks for that, pohatu!

Drives me nuts' date=' looking at the posts on Henry's forum and everywhere matter a fact.

it is Squier not Squire.

Mini rant over....:) [/quote']

That's what happens when you rely too much on spell check.

I just heard a story about a book publisher that had to recall millions of copies of a recipe book. Apparently, in one recipe, which should have called for "ground black pepper", called for "ground black people."

[biggrin]

Drives me nuts' date=' looking at the posts on Henry's forum and everywhere as a matter of fact.

It is Squier not Squire.

They spell it Squire twice in the article...and this is a well respected magazine...

Mini rant over....:-k

Sorry Stiffhand... I know it's likely just a pet peeve for you, but the inner humorist in me just can't resist when someone is busting on improper spelling or grammar.....

From someone who is a Squire, but owns no Squiers......

Well, I am busted. Frankly if I had read my own post I would have caught that.

I do well considering English is a second language to me. I can give you a run for the money on Portuguese and Spanish spelling.

Squier is a brand though and Vintage Guitar Magazine does not really have an excuse.

it is Squier not Squire.

Mini rant over....:-# [/quote']

I agree and I can't believe these people get paid to write!:-k[angry]

I can never spelled convenience, even there I don't know if that's right.

What drives me crazy is the "your" and "you're" tenses but it doesn't matter how many times you correct someone if they just don't care so I try to let it go. Don't want to end up in an early grave over grammar.

I can never spelled convenience' date=' even there I don't know if that's right.

What drives me crazy is the "your" and "you're" tenses but it doesn't matter how many times you correct someone if they just don't care so I try to let it go. Don't want to end up in an early grave over grammar. [/quote']

Just like they're, their, and there.

Archived