Gibson Brands Forums

The ultimate question.... SG or Les Paul

blambo1223

Which gives more for its dollar, has the great sound and can be played for anything ( rock, blues etc. )

When I say SG or Les paul, that counts as standard and gibson.

Price is not a matter, but like I said, what gives more for its money

Which feels better playing, easier, makes you feel like a man, tastes better, looks better etc.

its more about playing style/preferences than bang for the buck!

both guitars will last forever...give you more than what you put in and make you super happy!

im more partial to les pauls myself but that is based more on looks and feel than anything else...

there are tons of people that love SG's and i dont blame them...

watch Santana at woodstock...case in point!

go for whatever your heart desires!

you can easily get a gibson les paul or sg for under 800 bucks...so pick which one you like better!

If looks are not a factor I'd go with a SG.

They are confortable, sound great and will do for most genres. They also are cheaper, so you can get 2 of them for the price of a LP standard, and I don't mean 2 SG standards, you could get a SG standard and a SG classic (with p90s) plenty of tones to cover anything.

But that is kind of like saying if I can buy and apple and an orange for the same price' date=' which is fruitier....[cool] [/quote']

[blink]

Im gonna vote for the SG,, better clearance on the upper frets for leads, will rock the house or play the blues, its lighter and easier on the shoulders AND looks BAD *** too !! not taking anything away from the Les Pauls though,, you really should go play both and see what speaks to you the most, its a matter of personal preference [confused]

Alright, I am going to change the question around a bit since some people understand, and some people dont...

Which feels better playing, easier, makes you feel like a man, tastes better, looks better, see what i am trying to say now?

Alright' date=' I am going to change the question around a bit since some people understand, and some people dont...

Which feels better playing, easier, makes you feel like a man, tastes better, looks better, see what i am trying to say now?[/quote']

Les Paul for everything

Ultimately, they're both great guitars. From personal experience, though: I use an SG and I love it--you'd have to use a crowbar to pry it from my hands. I play rock, blues, jazz (it handles intricate chord voicings very nicely, and I can get that classic "warmth, depth and punch" with it,) and some metal, and it handles all of those styles nicely. The neck also feels great and, while some people don't care for the looks, I think the SG is a great looking guitar. Oh sure, I'd love a Les Paul--but it would have to be one hell of a Les Paul for me to make it my "go-to" guitar. Also, the pricing for SGs is pretty good.

That's because you listen to Gary Moore [lol]

haha' date=' i do like to be a bit contraversial with my comments...as i'm sure you know [biggrin

oh yea back to the thread, i prefer the LP but am gassing for an SG...if that helps? [lol]

My vote is for the Les Paul, but I wouldn't kick an SG out of bed for eating crackers, LOL old joke...

Either one is good for everything you said. The SG has better upper fret access, but that is not an issue with me. I like the carved top, beefier body of the Les Paul.

Play a few and make your own decision. The only way you can get a Les Paul for around the same cost as a SG is to go with the Studio model. For me, I like the extra frills of the more expensive LP Models. JMHO...

That will always be the typical answer. But is that surprising? They bought whatever they're playing because they like it.

Naturally I am going to say SG. I love Les Pauls but the SG is what does it for me.

I will most likely have a couple Les Pauls eventually.

Archived