Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Straps...

metalhed717

just curious what kind of straps you guys have, i think it says almost as much about the player as the guitar. i really like the over-the-top almost too metal straps. my new prophecy has a levy's leather bullet strap. my other SG has a studded leather one. how about you guys?

I use Levy's straps they are cheap and are good with construction. i have 5 guitars 4 of them i have Levys strap and one i have a DiMarzio. I have seen the Levys (i think) straps that are made of wood. I am told they have the feel of one of those wooden seat covers for a car so i don't know. This is the site for the wooden straps. I think they look cool. http://www.levysleathers.com/2008%20Straps%20And%20Bags%20Catalog/Product%20Catalog.html

to get the wooden straps you have to go to straps, then special materials, then heartwoods.

All leather' date=' I make all my straps. I did custom leather work for motorcycles for years so I still have my all leather tools, dyes, etc, and just order the leather online.[/quote']

That's cool, John...I used to do "leatherwork," too...in high school. It was fun! I'm afraid my tools

are long gone. But I think about getting some more...just to make straps and

wallets, belts, etc. Nothing to serious...more for fun.

CB

L&M.

2 1/2" black leather is what I've used for years.

I've got some nice ones though.. softer leather, double thick, padded, different colors.

I don't like 'em wider.. uncomfortable for me.

I had a Levys from MF with studs.. pretty cool.. but the studs were poorly put in and stuck through catching my shirt.

Had to rework the whole strap.

just curious what kind of straps you guys have' date=' i think it says almost as much about the player as the guitar. i really like the over-the-top almost [i']too[/i] metal straps. my new prophecy has a levy's leather bullet strap. my other SG has a studded leather one. how about you guys?

I have a couple of stock nylon "name of the music store on 'em" straps...but I don't typically use those.

Most of my regular straps are Levi's. I've got a nice, thick fabric one with leather underneath that has the double hole profile...(looks great with any guitar)...and I've got a really nice one that's made out of some sort of nylon composite with an eagle on it (eagle on the back, solid black on the front). I've also got a solid brown leather one, and an ancient 20 year old strap that has some designs on it that might have looked right on a persian carpet (I only use that one for my woodgrained 68 reissue...)

I'm pretty boring with my straps though. All of my Epiphones have straplocks, and I'm using 2 straps between 3 guitars. And yeah, mostly brown or black. I've never been one for the guady or overtly figured straps...

Remember the leather watch bands' date=' that every "Freak" had to have?! LOL!

To to with their fringe jackets or vests, and mocs! ;>)

CB[/quote']

Ahhh another child of the 70's......in Rockport ,MA there was a guy named Walter Dyer and he made those cool moc's and beautiful jackets and stuff! I had several pairs of those mocs wore em all through high school......man were they comfy and cool! If you didn't have a pair of those and a belt with the 2 ring buckle thing you just weren't happening man!](*,)

Never used a strap as i only play sitting down! :-

If i was to learn to play standing up as i know its completely different feel and all i'd prob use a plain black leather strap with my LP just so it looks classy.

With my Kramer i'd prob go for something crazy tho as its vinage looking at the min, well till tonight as im gonna respray again and finally get it to a 5150 type lookalike. So prob for this something stripped or studded or with slashes in ect

I use a small variety of straps for different guitars, collected over the years and including some more recent purchases. I have Schaller strap locks on the majority of them.

For guitars with the strap pin behind the neck joint (G400, etc.) I use a specific strap, with the front strap lock mounted backwards, of course. It's one of my more recent straps, a Levy's 4" woven cotton with leather ends. Marvel strap locks are attached, because the front one won't poke me in the gut like the Schallers do. I find the wider strap helps keep the "neck dive" problems in check. I also use an all leather 4" strap on my Jazz bass.

I use an old 3" strap (with Schallers) for most of my other guitars. It has a woven design on the top over a leather base. 3" is just about right for me. I have a couple more 2-1/2" straps, including a Levy's blue "sun" design one that gets a lot of use.

A skinny (3/4") Silver Eagle leather strap with a moveable shoulder pad is used on my lighter weight guitars and "Beatle" bass. It's comfortable, and has a nice retro look. No strap locks on that one.

My only fancy (expensive) strap is a Vox Python. It has Schallers mounted on it, and I only use it occasionally for "flash", as it has a lot of metal attached to it making it somewhat heavy. It does have a nice solid feel on my shoulder, however. I think it looks pretty freakin' cool, especially attached to a Rickenbacker!

Guitars_and_amps.jpg

Ahhh another child of the 70's......in Rockport ' date='MA there was a guy named Walter Dyer and he made those cool moc's and beautiful jackets and stuff! I had several pairs of those mocs wore em all through high school......man were they comfy and cool! If you didn't have a pair of those and a belt with the 2 ring buckle thing you just weren't happening man!:- [/quote']

I used to make all that stuff too, like the watchbands that Charlie is talking about, and the cigarette cases....you are talking about the knee high fringed mocs aren't you....like anyone cool wore the regular ones.

I'm using 2 1|2" plain black leather straps that I ordered from California. I need 61" strap to be comfortable. ( My nick name is not BIG Norm for nothing...Lolll ) They are the only company I've found on ebay that are doing those long straps. If you have any other address to suggest that would do longer ones, I woould be please to have a look.

I'm using 2 1|2" plain black leather straps that I ordered from California. I need 61" strap to be comfortable. ( My nick name is not BIG Norm for nothing...Lolll ) They are the only company I've found on ebay that are doing those long straps. If you have any other address to suggest that would do longer ones' date=' I woould be please to have a look.[/quote']

Levy's make longer extensions but you have to buy the strap, then the extension.

Archived