Gibson Brands Forums

What strings do you use for your sound?

leewilson78

Hi all,

I'm a week into using my epi gold top, I was wondering if anyone knows what strings they fit on there as new?

Also, what strings do people here use, what type of guage and what type of music do they play.

Guitarists I like = Nice McCabe (The Verve), Mark Potter (Elbow), Stone Roses (John Squire) The Edge....

Thanks

Lee

Cheers for that.

....don't know what I left Jimi off some of my favourite guitarists, his music made me pick up a guitar in the first place.

I'm teaching my slide guitar too, so listening to a bit of Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson... probably for another post, but anyone here use a slide, is there a particular one that suits the les paul or particular strings etc. I have a metal slide, seems a little too tinny, or maybe I've not learnt enough yet.

Lee

The Epi factory strings are usually not very good and that's being nice! I've had really good luck with D'addario .010-.046 110 set as well. It seems like they settle in faster than Slinky's and they are a very good low priced string to buy in bulk in the 10 packs!

They (D'Addario's) tend to last a long time...without going "dead," too...at least in my experience.

Great strings, for a decent price!

CB

I use different strings & guages for different guitars.

D' addario .010's as an overall

Thomastik-Infeld either 11's or 12's for one jazz box guitar

GHS Bright Flats in 12's or 13's for one strat - tuned down 1/2 step

Elixers for acoustic guitars

I'm still searching for a great classical string that is not expensive.

I use different strings & guages for different guitars.

D' addario .010's as an overall

Thomastik-Infeld either 11's or 12's for one jazz box guitar

GHS Bright Flats in 12's or 13's for one strat - tuned down 1/2 step

Elixers for acoustic guitars

I'm still searching for a great classical string that is not expensive.

Try Áddario Pro-Arte's, i use the EJ46 Hard Tension set and like them very much.

Peter

D'Addario EXL110's for most of the electrics (bought a boatload of them cheap). Light Martin Marquis for my acoustics. I've found that the Martins sound the best for the longest time, out of all the strings I've tried.

I use a glass slide on both acoustics and electrics. I just like the sound better than metal slides.

Dont know what i use i just ask for a set of 9's or 10's!!!

Been playing a few years but only 5 months on the LP so still learning what i like. Think ive got ernie ball slinkys on there at the min as thats what they sell most of in the shop and they recommended them.

Havent noticed much difference in sound yet. The 10's have a slight more tone than the 9's but are slightly harder to bend so its weighing up the good with the bad.

Is there a sort of specific string advisable to use for classic rock?

D'Addario EXL110's for most of the electrics (bought a boatload of them cheap). Light Martin Marquis for my acoustics. I've found that the Martins sound the best for the longest time' date=' out of all the strings I've tried.

I use a glass slide on both acoustics and electrics. I just like the sound better than metal slides.[/quote']

Me too, on all of your points.

I have been using D'Addario .009s on my solid bodies and D'Addario .010s on my semis. But after playing my Dot with .010s for about 2 weeks straight, I'm gonna change and start using .010s on all my electrics. I have been using D'Addarios for a long time and have been completely satisfied.

I've been using Martin Marquis .012s on my D-19 for years. They are fairly inexpensive, and a very good sounding string.

I also love a thick glass slide on all my guitars.

BB King mentioned that he uses light gauge strings for the high three, and very heavy gauge string for the lower three. In retrospect, I guess this makes sense in that he can really bend the high strings while still getting a lot of volume and power from the lower three. It must feel sort of strange.

D'Addario EXL110 nickel wound regular light gauge .010-.046 bright round wound

on all my electric guitars. I play blues' date=' blues rock, rock, latin and jazz.

Don't know what type of strings Epiphone uses on their guitars.

Peter[/quote']

Ditto, although I have 11's (not sure what brand) on my WildKat and I have a pack of D'Addario 11's that will be replacing the ones that are on there.

I started out with 9's but keep breaking the high e string.

Been using Ernie Ball since the 80's .10 - .46

Never had a problem with them.

I play mostly blues and rock. Mainly Rush, Black Sabbath type stuff.

Sometimes with a bit of southern rock and folk thrown in the mix.

I'd been using D'Addario EJ-16's (12 gauge) on my acoustics for what seems like forever. Within the past year though, I tried the EXP's (same gauge) and really like them. On my electrics, I was using Gibby Bright Wires (10's) but over the past few months have been trying Cleartones (10's) and really like the sound they give off. The two exceptions to that are 1) my PRS Custom SE which came setup for 9's (again using Cleartones) 2) recently bought a Gretsch 5122 hollow body and my setup guy highly recommended the D'Addario XL's (11 gauge). Just got it back so the jury is still out on that one.

Archived