Gibson Brands Forums

What's your cheapest playable guitar??

maniak

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cheapest one is a Squire Esprit I bought for $200USD.

With upgrades being;

SD JB pu

Dimarzio PAF Joe pu

US pots&switch

Gotoh bridge

Grovers

nut

Brought the cost up to ~ $350.00USD. It's a beautifully made, killer guitar.

I paid $145 USD for this Matsumoko 6832 bolt-on acoustic in January:

69epi1.jpg

And $150 for this MIC Dot in February:

P1000546.jpg

Put new bridge pins in the 6832, and an Earvana nut on the Dot. Other than new strings, not much else. Both play and sound great.

My cheapest is my Squier Strat purchased new for $300NZ. Not overly cheap really. I'm yet to come accross that guitar that is an absolute bargain and just blows me away. And to be honest I haven't really been feeling the Strat love lately, it just doesn't feel the same as it used to, even though nothing has changed about it. I guess I'm just more in love with the feel of my Les Paul and SG. I'm wondering whether to sell it to fund fixing up my Les Paul It's mostly the neck I have a problem with. It's not a horrible neck, but the frets don't feel as nice as as my Epi's and the enck just isn't as smooth, even though there's nothing at all wrong with the finish. I guess I'll play it a bit and see how I feel.

I had this "Tree of life" Electra SG for a while, got it in '88 for $175, put in a Dimarzio distortion bridge p'up,

sold it for about $300, then found the very same guitar online almost 20 years later (I know it's the same one

because of repair work shown in the back view, not shown here)

elecoak1.jpg

The next cheapest is my old "beater" Washburn D-10 SB acoustic, got it new for $200

5 yrs or so ago......still play it a couple times a week........ after installing ebony bridgepins, it's

still the best serious"entry level" acoustic on the market.

GarysCam035.jpg

Bargains for me have to be the following

Squier Affinity 1998. Got for £50, now modded into an E-Squire. Love these late 90s squiers, with thicker bodies, thru stringing, and hotter p/ups

ButterscotchEsqAmpandCab.jpg

Also this one.

Simon and Patrick Dreadnought. I was asked to fix this one up for someone,but then he didnt have the money to pay for the repairs. Let me have it for the cost of my time spent on it. One nice dreadnought for £60!!!

SPfrontshot.jpg

Not a cheapy, but a cheap price

• 3 years later...

My cheapest guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Junior (Alpine White).

I actually bought it recently (just for a beater guitar), and quite frankly I love it.

It's simple, light weight, Action was perfect on arrival.

I was surprised. I've literally done nothing to it (except change out the strings).

It's not as good as either of my Gibsons obviously, but it's got a lot of punch for $100 guitar.

You certainly dug far back for this thread.My cheapest guitars were: Acoustic-1966 Harmony Archtone that cost either $39.95 or $49.95 new. Electric: circa 1964 Hagstrom II that I paid just $60 for in 1972.Both guitars are worth considerably more these days-especially the Hagstrom II which is worth well over a grand.

BTW there was a guy a few posts back who posted a Guild S-100 that he paid around $85 for,they are now worth about $2,000 in good condition and even more for the S-100-NB which has the mahogany body engraved.I have a '74 S-100-NB and the pups are way hotter than Les Paul or SG pups and the Guild humbuckers were so good that Bernardo Rico used them on the earliest BC Rich models before settling on DiMarzio's.

I have a Johnson Tele copy that sounds and plays great, when I'm home recording its usually the guitar I go to first. It has some cool vibes and mojo and very comfortable to play, it was $65 at a going out of business sale in the early 2000s.

It had an ugly arrowhead headstock that looked like those cheap Fender Strat Starcasters-I sawed it into a more attractive shape and play it most of the time theses days.

Red Tele-

RedTele1.jpg

original headstock-

Headstockoriginally.jpg

reshaped headstock-

RedTeleheadstockmod-1.jpg

I have a few to add to this thread.

I just pick this up a couple weeks ago at the swap meet. It's a company called Brownsville. I can't find too much on them other then they are a house brand for Sam Ash or something like that. I thought for $80 bucks it was worth it for all the nice features it had.

DSC06929.jpg

It sounds good, but I can never leave anything alone, so I know at some point I'll be swapping the pick ups and putting some Grover tuners on it.

I got this Squier Precision bass the week before for $60 bucks from the same swap meet. It was originally covered in stickers and for some reason it had some scotch tape X's on it, those were the hardest to get off, but after about an hour of clean up, a new set of strings, and last week I put some Quarter-Pound Baselines in it that I had laying around, I have a awesome sounding/playing bass.

DSC06903.jpg

I just picked up a great deal on a LTD Viper yesterday, I'll post some pics once I put it down.

I bought this POS off of eBay for $49, with an Epi HSC.

oldgit1.jpg

New electronics and an awful lot of elbow grease and I ended up with this, set up for slide and a hoot to play, for less than $100 total.

IMG_3633.jpg

Here's a couple more that I pick up cheap. I just got this one yesterday for $125. I've never owned a ESP/LTD, but I've always kinda like the Viper's SG look. I haven't been able to put it down since I got it.

DSC07034.jpg

This was one of my first cheap finds, it was sold as a project, all the pots were shot, the shafts pulled completely out. After so clean up, new pots and strings it's definitely worth more than the $20 bucks I paid for it.

017-2.jpg020.jpg

Cheapest is probably my Axl Player Bass which I picked up on Ebay for £40 including a rather nice Ritter padded gig bag.

Needed a good clean and a nut for the tone pot and that was it.

It's got a nice pair of passive EMG's too.

Untitled.jpg

DSCF0825.jpg

I paid $60 in 1972 for a 1964-5 Hagstrom II,it has 2 single coil pickups and a Harmony vibrato.The guitar is a bright lipstick red and has an SG like shape. The guitar sounds like you'd imagine a 2 pup Strat would,and the neck-like those of all Hagstroms-is extremely slim with incredibly close action so you can pull off some pretty fast licks.I used the guitar for years as a backup to my '65 Strat when I was gigging and it always sounded huge through the uber-loud Peavey Deuce that I used back then.The guitar is worth about $1,000 these days-not a bad return on my initial investment,but that point is moot as I will never part with it and it's being willed to my nephew who has several successful CDs under his belt or to my cousin's grandson-the prodigy I've mentioned several times before.

Archived