Gibson Brands Forums

who's your favourate "no longer with us" guitarist?

S t e v e

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was gonna mention Eddie Van Halen, just as a reference to his career.

Looks like a suicide to me...

[blink]#-o

Yeah, looks like we pretty much have it covered.

The "other guys" from the Stones are worth mentioning.

I'll throw in Rory Gallagher for good measure

You guys are all hitting rockers. Nothing against rockers 'cuz I lost friends who were rockers over the past 40+ years, but...

Segovia.

If there's a #2, probably Chet Atkins who wasn't called "Mr. Guitar" for nothing.

After that... a bunch ranging from a lotta the old bluesmen to Roy Buchanan to Bloomfield to.... well, you get the picture. Carlos Montoya...

m

Milod- I would agree, Segovia is an amazing guitar player who really expanded the idea of a guitar.

Of course everyone is gonna say rockers, popular vote. I would have to say SRV, probably my favorite guitarist period. The only guy (other than classical stuff) that I can listen to his instrumental stuff.

Yeah, Chet doing that in D may make me rethink doing it it C.

Edit... First time I heard Stars and Stripes Forever on guitar was Gary Davis back in the more or less early 60s. Whew. That made a huge impression. Chet's version is a lot fancier. Either way, it's something else.

Edit 2 - I think Davis did Stars in C, the way I ended up doing it stedda Chet's A. Hmmmm. I think Chet figured different keys because he got a more full sound. I dunno. What can anyone say about "Mr. Guitar" but ... "Mr. Guitar?"

m

Yeah, Chet doing that in D may make me rethink doing it it C.

Edit... First time I heard Stars and Stripes Forever on guitar was Gary Davis back in the more or less early 60s. Whew. That made a huge impression. Chet's version is a lot fancier. Either way, it's something else.

m

if it gives you chills, it's good. [biggrin]

chet was unreal.

Archived