Gibson Brands Forums

Chuck Berry's Guitar

rlajack1217

I just had the pleasure of seeing Chuck Berry in concert. The man is 84 and still touring although he maybe could start thinking about retiring. As he forgot words to songs like Johnny B Good, ended a couple of songs while the band was still going strong and he actually left the stage at one point I believe he thought the show was over.

None the less I'm glad I can say I saw him in concert. Now for the question. On Chuck's guitar was a 1/2 inch pipe bracket. Screwed in just below the bridge. Does anyone know why that's there?

Chuck.jpg

I just had the pleasure of seeing Chuck Berry in concert. The man is 84 and still touring although he maybe could start thinking about retiring. As he forgot words to songs like Johnny B Good, ended a couple of songs while the band was still going strong and he actually left the stage at one point I believe he thought the show was over.

None the less I'm glad I can say I saw him in concert. Now for the question. On Chuck's guitar was a 1/2 inch pipe bracket. Screwed in just below the bridge. Does anyone know why that's there?

Chuck.jpg

the song Let There Be Rock said the black man had the blues, but not the OLD black man lol. he forgot words to songs??? hilarious. and then he thought the show was over? poor old man

Yes the show was a bit of a train wreck.

As for the bracket. I don't blieve Chuck plays slide. But I could be wrong.

And I do agree there should be a Chuck Berry Model. One you can throw into the trunk of you car while driving young girl across state lines. :rolleyes:

Yes the show was a bit of a train wreck.

As for the bracket. I don't blieve Chuck plays slide. But I could be wrong.

And I do agree there should be a Chuck Berry Model. One you can throw into the trunk of you car while driving young girl across state lines. :rolleyes:

That bracket is to support his colostomy bag while on stage. [wink]

Yes that is a electrical conduit mounting strap, available at any Home Depot. Didn't know Home Depot sold Gibson guitar parts did you.

The bracket is there for him to hook his little finger into while "duck walking". I haven't seen Chuck in a few years, but I doubt at his age he does much duck walking anymore.

The 355 pictured is one of his older guitars. If I'm not mistaken, it is also missing a knob or two, and maybe the switch tip.

The "newer" guitars he plays are off-the-rack red "Lucilles". I would think that one of the reasons Gibson has never issued a "Chuck Berry Model", it that for the last 40+ years Chuck has played a "B.B. King Model", whether it be a 355 or the newer "Lucille" model. I'm sure another reason there has never been a "Chuck" model is that he is a little hard to deal with (to put it nicely).

I'm sure another reason there has never been a "Chuck" model is that he is a little hard to deal with (to put it nicely).

Yeah, I read somewhere a few years ago that he does the "deals" himself, demands full payment up front in cash before he takes his guitar out of the case, uses local pickup bands with little to no rehearsal and is just in general a nasty old man. That said, the article also said he'd been screwed over so many times in his career by others that he almost deserves to be that way. In any event, a once great talent reduced to a shadow of his former self. Shame.

In any event, a once great talent reduced to a shadow of his former self.

in some ways, that's all of us, eventually...

you have to admire the guy for at least doing what he loves late into life: we should all be so lucky in that respect. "do not go gentle into that good night..."

-Don

Well this has been an interesting topic. I'm glad I started it. I didn't mention that the reason I saw him was becasue zztop back out for some reason. The concert orginally was zztop opening for Tom Petty. The day of the concert it got postponed due to illness. Of course they never said you was ill. Probably a money issue. None the less. I paid 130 bucks for front row seats to see ZZ and Tom. What I got was Chuck and Tom.

Not complaining like I said it was kind of cool to see Chuck.

in some ways, that's all of us, eventually...

you have to admire the guy for at least doing what he loves late into life: we should all be so lucky in that respect. "do not go gentle into that good night..."

-Don

Well put, Don.

Steve

Yes that is a electrical conduit mounting strap, available at any Home Depot. Didn't know Home Depot sold Gibson guitar parts did you.

The bracket is there for him to hook his little finger into while "duck walking". I haven't seen Chuck in a few years, but I doubt at his age he does much duck walking anymore.

The 355 pictured is one of his older guitars. If I'm not mistaken, it is also missing a knob or two, and maybe the switch tip.

The "newer" guitars he plays are off-the-rack red "Lucilles". I would think that one of the reasons Gibson has never issued a "Chuck Berry Model", it that for the last 40+ years Chuck has played a "B.B. King Model", whether it be a 355 or the newer "Lucille" model. I'm sure another reason there has never been a "Chuck" model is that he is a little hard to deal with (to put it nicely).

In other words, if you work for him, get paid before the show...or at least before he leaves....

As long as I can fog a mirror, I'll play music.

And as long as there is an audience for me, I'll play in public.

I have no intention of quitting when I'm 65. A musician is not what I do, a musician is what I am.

I read an interview with a local pickup band for Chuck. When they asked him what they were going to play, he answered, "Chuck Berry Songs". And with no rehearsal, no set list, no instructions of any kind, they took the stage and simply followed him. (not the best way to run a show)

Chuck is one of the pioneers of what we call rock and roll. He gave us the first rock and roll hero "Johnny B. Goode" and the first rock and roll sweetheart "Sweet Little Sixteen", the first car songs, "No Money Down" and "No Particular Place To Go" was one of the first rock and roll guitar heroes himself, and he may be way past his prime, but deserves our appreciation for his contribution to our American art form.

At least that's my opinion.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

As long as I can fog a mirror, I'll play music.

And as long as there is an audience for me, I'll play in public.

I have no intention of quitting when I'm 65. A musician is not what I do, a musician is what I am.

I read an interview with a local pickup band for Chuck. When they asked him what they were going to play, he answered, "Chuck Berry Songs". And with no rehearsal, no set list, no instructions of any kind, they took the stage and simply followed him. (not the best way to run a show)

Chuck is one of the pioneers of what we call rock and roll. He gave us the first rock and roll hero "Johnny B. Goode" and the first rock and roll sweetheart "Sweet Little Sixteen", the first car songs, "No Money Down" and "No Particular Place To Go" was one of the first rock and roll guitar heroes himself, and he may be way past his prime, but deserves our appreciation for his contribution to our American art form.

At least that's my opinion.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

[thumbup]

Archived