Gibson Brands Forums

Sports

cookieman15061

I know all of us here are "musicians" but what about sports? Football, baseball, soccer maybe?

Did ya play in high school or college?

Do we have any musical athletes in the house?

I'll go first

I played football, baseball and basketball growing up but concentrated on football once I got to HS. Ended up playing couple years of college ball but music began calling louder than football. A lot less aches and pains too.

Here I am getting a big sack against one of out rivals.

olddays004.jpg

I'm # 75 and watching a good game in this one. lol

olddays005.jpg

Being Welsh, I grew up playing Rugby Union all through my school years. Still spectate regularly.

I played squash for a few years and have hacked my way round a few golf courses in my time.

I then took up road running - completed a few 10Ks and half-marathons - as a way of keeping fit, until my achilles tendon gave up the ghost during a half-marathon.

Now I cycle a bit (not competitively) to keep fit, and also play Petanque for my local Club (of which I'm Secretary) - www.wenvoepetanqueclub.org. I've been fortunate to play for my national team in a number of International matches.

I played baseball through high school back when the bats were wooden, the balls were still covered with horsehide, the helmets didn't have ears, and the spikes had plain, black leather uppers. THOSE were the days....

Now, I'm a recently retired softball player and my golf game is an incredible embarrassment.

Yes; did the sports thing...Usually got the cheerleaders when their preppy arrogant ' boyfriends' were hugging each other in sweaty win loves. And nine months later the sports stars all had beautiful kids that looked just like their moms, and me. And the dumb preppy guys spent thousands of dollars raising and putting their beautiful children who looked just like their moms, and me, through college. And it didn't cost me a whole lot. Musicians always get the girls, and that is being good at sports....................

Yes; did the sports thing...Usually got the cheerleaders when their preppy arrogant ' boyfriends' were hugging each other in sweaty win loves. And nine months later the sports stars all had beautiful kids that looked just like their moms, and me. And the dumb preppy guys spent thousands of dollars raising and putting their beautiful children who looked just like their moms, and me, through college. And it didn't cost me a whole lot. Musicians always get the girls, and that is being good at sports....................

:blink:

So basically, they were preppy and arrogant, and you were just an asshole... cool story bro

I was always a big basketball player...I'm 6'3 and have always been tall for my age so I usually played center I was also very heavy as a child, but lost 70 lbs in 8th grade over the course of three months.( NEVER starve yourself to lose weight, or not eat nutritionally, I'm still paying for it as an adult. ..Played a bit in Highschool but mostly just recreational..Good time...I also swam for a year in HS as well...Swimming for a sport is the best exercise you'll ever get....Waking up at 4 am in the dead of winter and doing 500 laps sure makes you feel good for the rest of day...( well until you gotta do it all over again after school). That's the one thing I really miss about highschool, is getting all that exercise EVERYDAY...oh I'm a ping-pong champ as well..? that count?

I played hockey for many years, mostly growing up thru H.S. A little more around 20 -22 years old.... I was a goalie... Nobody else wanted to, I was the only knuckle head who would when I was about 5 or so..

I have bowled all my life with some 300's to my credit ( abc ), accredited, stopped about 5 years ago when my father had a stroke, I had to take more care of him at that point,till he died on my B- day 3 years ago, but never took it back up...

Probably cuz I broke my ring finger on bowling hand and never had it looked at, and it healed crooked and bent, so it's hard to try anymore...

HS football and basketball. D III Football in college for my small Liberal Arts school. We ran the option when every other team in our division ran shotgun. We got beat most of the time, but it was a blast. Hurt my right shoulder as a junior, and retired from football as a Senior because my grades were slipping. Competed in flag football for a couple years after college. Being from Lincoln, NE, I spent many fall Saturdays crowded in Memorial Stadium watching the Huskers, but I never competed at that level.

Football from 7th grade through 9th, skipped 10th and played 11th grade again.

Fencing from about 8th grade with parents, then last two years of high school. School letter, beginner class coach, intramural coach. (Career highlight, competing vs Yale Freshmen at Yale while in high school.)

Shooting sports informally until two years of great fun in Cowboy Action Shooting club. Some informal and very low quality tennis when I was a kid up to maybe age 30. A few low-end trailer sailer regattas, if that counts. A bit of running of various sorts when I was a kid.

Various martial arts from age 12 to current. Involvement for all or part of my income for roughly 30 years. Yes, I still train for myself or given other factors of my current lifestyle (as in "stress") I'd likely have had a heart attack and dropped dead. Guitar and kick-punch style "forms" make a wonderful combination for relaxation both physical and mental.

m

Did lots of competition stuff from my early teens; 100m & 200m sprints on the Scottish 'Highland Games' circuit.

I loved rock climbing but I had to give that up after I started to play the guitar - my ragged-edged fingers could cope with one or other discipline; not both.

Lots of cycling. Two racing clubs and one touring club meant that I was out with one or other club every day of the week except Monday.

On Mondays I played badminton for my school in the Scottish league; both as a student and then afterwards for their 'Former Pupil' team.

Then, the day after my graduation, I badly twisted my right ankle tearing three tendons and three ligaments. That changed things. No more competitive sports since and It'll never be strong enough to cope with the necessary stress-levels again. Which is a shame.

I still cycle a bit for fun and walk loads. I've done a little bit of karting which I absolutely love. I once spent a morning driving a friend's spare Championship-prepped kart and it managed to scare me sh!tless every time I left the pits. I've occasionally walked round the odd 18-hole course whacking a ball (or ten) but would stop some way short of calling my exploits 'Golf'...

P.

Played hockey from age 5 till my mid 20's. Got sore knees, started playing softball and continued for about 20 years. Up to 60 games a season at one point. Blew out a knee and haven't played in about 5 or 6 years.

Did a little martial arts for a while. Tried riding horses a few times but never cared for it. Man, those are big animals. My daughter got into English saddle style riding and jumping. I'm a big chicken. I wouldn't even get into the stall after one of the beasts put the squeeze on me.

Now its golf and fishing when I get the chance.

Dave

Archived