Gibson Brands Forums

Anthems at ball games...

Riverside

I've seen it written that folks get upset over certain things regarding a rendition of the National Anthem before a ball game.

Some don't like it when the singer butchers it, some don't like it when applause happens before it's over.

Hymns aren't supposed to be applauded, anyway.

Harrumph.

I'm in the camp that thinks that maybe it shouldn't happen at all.

I particularly dislike the new "tradition" of playing "God Bless America" during the seventh inning stretch.

This:

I've seen it written that folks get upset over certain things regarding a rendition of the National Anthem before a ball game.

Some don't like it when the singer butchers it, some don't like it when applause happens before it's over.

Hymns aren't supposed to be applauded, anyway.

Harrumph.

I'm in the camp that thinks that maybe it shouldn't happen at all.

I particularly dislike the new "tradition" of playing "God Bless America" during the seventh inning stretch.

This:

I agree but leave it to SF to make it interesting.

Yeah, it's evolved into what I can best describe as a "pearls before swine" exercise in futility.

I used to get bent out of shape when people "stylized" or "personalized" the national anthem.

Enough people seemed to think it was okay to butcher it, and pay their money to see it in person . . .

Capitalism wins.

I decided I'm okay with it.

No place for reverence in our society anymore.

Even church has become a Romper Room with clueless kids having kids of their own.

Of course, I no longer attend pro sports events.

I used to go only if the tickets were free, now I accept free tickets with a smile and stay home.

Guess my opinion counts for less that way . . .

I am a traditionalist, so I dig the National Anthem sung before the game. What I don't like is a singer turning it into a voice exercise, going crazy with every possible twist and turn their voice can do. I mean, come on. How about a little taste here... ](*,)

Because of my military back ground, I take great pride in the National Anthem. However, I don't think it is needed at ball games. Thank god they don't play the anthem at stadium concerts, that would go over like a dead fart in church.

If you suggested that the National Anthems were not sung before English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish Rugby Union internationals, I think you would be politely asked to leave the ground.

Just watch the passion in many of the players' eyes, which in many cases reduces them and much of the crowd to tears. It's a huge part of the game.

124englandRWC_468x317.jpg

If you suggested that the National Anthems were not sung before English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish Rugby Union internationals, I think you would be politely asked to leave the ground.

Just watch the passion in many of the players' eyes, which in many cases reduces them and much of the crowd to tears. It's a huge part of the game.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_02/124englandRWC_468x317.jpg

Yeah, but being proud or thankful to live in your country hasn't been cool in the USA since sometime in the 60's. [glare]

I like the National Anthem at the beginning of every sporting event. I hope no one thought Lyle Lovett did a bad job, I though he sang it better than I could remember!

And I agree, Ray Charles' version of "America The Beautiful" should become the Official version.... every other version pales in comparison.

During the 7th Inning stretch they should play "Wooly Bully"!!

Valid point made by Albertjohn.

In the UK, about the only time you'll hear any of the National Anthems at sporting events would be at International games - where it does become a matter of national identity and pride - patriotism, even.

You'd never get it at "club" games - even when it's 2 clubs from different countries.

If I'm honest, I can't see the point of playing an anthem at the start of a "club" game where the 2 sides are from the same country (or any club game come to that).

Mind you, I know there are many Americans who never miss an opportunity to sing their anthem. Nothing wrong with that, of course, when it's sung properly - as Daryl M says, there are far too many times when when the singer seems to treat it as a vocal exercise and cram as many warbles in as they can.

I was in Florida in May and had the privilidge to attend a memorial service to the local Law Enforcement officers killed or injured in the line of duty. The anthem was sung by a girl (I'd guess around 15-16 years old), and she just sang it "straight". It was an extremely moving finale to a fascinating 2 hours of "Americana". I'm glad we went. It was the kind of event I think Amercians "do" very well.

Sorry wavered off topic there, but still a bit relevant, I think (hope?).

I say dispense with the big star Anthem Singer. The "Pros" that do it aren't that good singing live, in a venue with deplorable acoustics. While a nice idea, it has turned sports enthusiasts from participatory Anthemists to spectator athemists. Like the sport spectator they are, they rail and hoot and holler about what's going on down on the field, but only have a vague clue as to what is really going on.

Let's forget the anthem singer and just have the organist play the tune. Then... we ALL can sing it. Print the words on the back of the program if you have to... and you have to. [blush] Maybe that is why I like HS and College sports. We all sing The National Anthem. We all will have something invested and will respect it.

If Harry Carey can get the masses to sing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game," surely they can get the masses to sing our National Anthem.

I say Yay, to the 7th inning stretch "God Bless America". If we don't, who will? [-o< If He doesn't, who will?

I love it a Red Sox games when I'm home in Boston and the play Sweet Caroline and everyone sings along... Also when ever the Red Sox win a game at home they play Dirty Water at the Standells at the end of the game... Very cool... [thumbup]

Drummer's having a good time NOT looking into camera. Can you say ,"Noobie"?

Archived