Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Young?

Silenced Fred

I didn't know he had something new out. I need to listen to it. I don't think he's ever released a bad album.

(And, I still think he's underrated as a guitar player.)

I have to agree with you. Neil's Acoustic guitar playing is great. His Electric guitar playing is a style of it's own, but that's what makes him great.

In a recent band I was in we played "Powder Finger" from his "Rust Never Sleeps" album. I had the lead guitar part nailed spot on. The other guitar player

in the band said, "Man that really sucks!" I said, "That's the reason you can't play it like I can. Because you don't suck as good as Neil Young."

Many years ago I was proud to be able to pull off his rusty style lead on "Down By the River." There's no in-between...You either love Neil Young or you hate

him. "Long May You Run" Mr. Neil Young. [cool][thumbup]

I don't care about his geetar playing. What I really like about NY are his melodies and his lyrics.

Yep. I don't generally care for his singing voice either, yet I love listening to his stuff - especially the early albums. Why? As indicated above: melody and lyric. He's the perfect example of how songs actually matter.

Another thing he does really well is capture the sound of an acoustic guitar. He doesn't go in for that plinky plinky piezo sound. He uses mics and his acoustic sound is always rich and full. Little things like that make me happy.

I do love me some Neil Young!

The new album is fantastic, I must say, but my favorite one is still Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

Every song on that one is just a classic and is utterly listenable. They all just have this remarkable forward momentum and this wonderful synthesis of intense personal expression and really wonderful instrumentation. One thing that I've always felt about Neil Young is that in the vast majority of his music, everything just fits, instrumentally--but not in an overproduced (i.e. "Motown, Phil Spector, string-sections-and-close-harmonies") sort of sense. Just very tight and tasteful. One of my favorites is "Running Dry (Requiem For the Rockets)." It's just such a very touching song, and it's very intense without being preachy--and there's also a very haunting (and completely fitting) violin part by Bobby Notkoff.

First solo album wasn't bad either.

I'll say! What a crop of great songs. I read where he had a terrible fever and in one night or day wrote "Cowgirl in the Sand" and "Down by the River". He joked that he'd been trying to get that sick again for the rest of his career! [biggrin]

I was lucky enough to meet Neal at the farmers market in Hollywood. He was with this blond number. What got me was he saw us drinking with leathers on etc. Obviously heard our accents, and just walked over from his table, said Hi to Al and was just a freakin NICE BLOKE. He has ou r last CD and a t-shirt, Al's got his mail address somewhere so I'll pick this cd up.

Archived