Gibson Brands Forums

Does He Really Need a 56 Reissue Gold Top? P90s

Folkestone

Hi All:

My friend has: a Custom Shop 54 Custom VOS (Alnico 5 in the neck position and P90 in the bridge); a Custom Shop VOS 68 Custom; Custom Shop 58 Standard VOS and original 1979 Standard.

He's thinking about picking-up a 56 Reissue Gold Top P90s. He doesn't gig and only plays at home. I told him to forget about the Gold Top and give the $$$ to the Santa Claus Fund for the needy instead. I think he's well covered already.

I'd appreciate your opinions. I don't want to come across as a Scrooge for my friends Christmas hopes of a brand new Gold Top under the Christmas Tree.

Thanks,

Jeff

Wow.

This is so ripe with possibilities.

Um, you know you're on a Gibson forum - right?

[blink]

The answer is a resounding YES!

Gotta have some P-90s, and the Tune O Matic bridge beats the hell outta the one on his '54.

It's HIS money (what exactly is your role here?) and I see no reason not to buy it if he has the cash.

Credit cards are a different story - he can't afford it if it's not paid off by February.

And, define "needy" for us.

I've done plenty of Christmas stuff with our church over the years, gifts for the "needy" and such.

I had to give it up, and go back to celebrating Christmas as it was first conceived - for Christ, not Santa.

Gotta tell ya, your idea of Scrooge and mine are MUCH different... Santa Claus Fund my butt.

[woot][biggrin][thumbup]

I'm fully with Neo on this....Gibson Custom Shop Guitars are the cream of what they make.....If he earned the money through hard work, you should buy himself the guitar......

Giving money to charity is noble; but if you do the research you would be shocked and dismayed at the percentage of donated funds that never make it to the needy......

It is more practical to donate TIME and SUPPORT to the needy....( IMO )......

Owning a collection of fine Gibbies; sweet...Getting a new 56 Re-issue LP Goldtop; awesome...Giving and sharing time with the needy; Priceless.......

Wow.

This is so ripe with possibilities.

Um, you know you're on a Gibson forum - right?

[blink]

The answer is a resounding YES!

Gotta have some P-90s, and the Tune O Matic bridge beats the hell outta the one on his '54.

It's HIS money (what exactly is your role here?) and I see no reason not to buy it if he has the cash.

Credit cards are a different story - he can't afford it if it's not paid off by February.

And, define "needy" for us.

I've done plenty of Christmas stuff with our church over the years, gifts for the "needy" and such.

I had to give it up, and go back to celebrating Christmas as it was first conceived - for Christ, not Santa.

Gotta tell ya, your idea of Scrooge and mine are MUCH different... Santa Claus Fund my butt.

[woot][biggrin][thumbup]

+1

So your friend wants to spend his own money on a guitar that he feels he needs or at least wants that will last him for his whole life. and you want him to donate his money to a christmas fund.

Here's and idea let your friends do what they want instead of trying to guilt them into what you believe is right and you donate whatever you want to the christmas fund and quit trying to pass your needs on others.

In China, each family is permited to only have one Gibson, yet alas, most only have one Epi LP, this the nature of things...

In America, we are permited to own as many LPs as we can...

A real friend would cover for his friend's alleged transgressions by quietly donating funds on his behalf, and quietly enjoying his selflessness, and then reveling in his friend's joy at his new Gibby...

Wish I had a "friend" that felt entitled to tell me how to spend my money.......(thats SARCHASM folks!!)

Whether he wants to buy a guitar, or use it for kindling, it's HIS money, right? Did you help him earn it?

I've been around the "needy" most of my life, my own family is full of "needy" people, that are ALL alcoholics and/or drug addicts.

I've observed that the few that truly CAN'T help themselves have several government/social programs available to help them.

Some of these live better than I do, and I've made good money with the same employer for 26 yrs.

The vast majority of "needy" people simply WON'T help themselves, and abuse these programs designed for the truly needy...

Sitting at home making babies, drinking, and smoking meth while you wait for your monthly gov't. check to come in, instead of cleaning up and getting a job, just doesn't qualify to me.

Happy Holidays Everyone! ](*,)

... Santa Claus Fund my butt.

No disrespect intended but what gives you any right to have a say in what your friend should and shouldn't do with HIS money? If he has the money it is his to do with as he pleases!

If a "friend" of mine tried to tell me how to spend my hard earned money..... well I bet you know what I'd say.

Archived