Gibson Brands Forums

Which amp to buy ?¡?¡...

Paul J...

Greetings forum members !!!... I am writing to ask what would be the best option of an amp at maximum price of $ 200 ... I have recommended the Vox Valvetronix ... but recently vox has brought to market a new line of Valvetronix + that have more features that the past version ... and if anyone has tried one i will like your opinion ... the best option would be a tube amp .. to play guns n roses, metallica,AC/DC, etc etc ... american or classic rock in general haha! I hope your views of any brand and if there is any marshall that worthwhile in this price range would be exellent ...

Thank you very much to everyone in advance !!...

Hi Paul,

I bought a VT20+ a couple of weeks ago, after borrowing my brothers VT15. The VT15 is good, but I was shocked at how much better the 20+ is, and it does have valves in the circuit so yes it sounds as you would expect a valve amp to sound.

Regards,

Ian.

Cant go wrong with the Vox VT range. Very versatile and excellent value.

However, if you want something very special, I would push the budget and look for a valve amp like the Marshall Class 5 or Orange Tiny Terror. The tone you can get from these small all valve amps is in a different league and you will most probably keep for life, opposed to using the Vox as a stepping stone.

All the best.

Try the Jet city line. ranging from a $300 20

watt all tube combo to a $900 100 watt 2 channel

head. Im sold on the 20 watt combo.

guitar center

musician's friend

Jet City

A smidge over his budget, but arguably worth it. I just ordered one of these combos from Musician's Friend (giving 15% off to match a GC Coupon, free shipping, no sales tax in MI) for a delivered cost of $254.15. Hard to beat at that price I think, and I'm sure I'll like it. Check out Bluesguitar65's demo/thread on this amp here. That thread is what sold me on the amp, and got me to order one sight unseen. At this price, it's nearly as big a bargain as the Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute! In fact that combo at just north of $1100 has got to be the best bang for the buck out there for a budget minded Les Paul fan.

So, did they refer to it as a "competitor's" coupon or honor it as their own? [rolleyes]

Neither. Guessing they called it price matching internally, but he didn't really say. I asked if they honored GC Coupons (they are owned by the same corporation as I understand it), and he said no. Then he said "But I can give you 15% off". [confused]

Neither. Guessing they called it price matching internally, but he didn't really say. I asked if they honored GC Coupons (they are owned by the same corporation as I understand it), and he said no. Then he said "But I can give you 15% off". [confused]

Haha, "Yeah buddy but I tell ya what I'll cut you a deal, though, but don't tell anyone!"

As far as the limited budget on an amp, keep an eye on the used market and you could probably score a killer deal on a second hand Marshall or Orange.

Just make sure you get something with enough gain. You really do not be stuck with a blues amp when you're trying to play Metallica.

Peavey Bandit or Vypyr comes to mind. Any of the Jet City offerings would be perfect also.

Yup - if you're playing high gain stuff, you need an amp with a master volume. The Marshall Class 5 won't do it.

Yup - if you're playing high gain stuff, you need an amp with a master volume. The Marshall Class 5 won't do it.

It would with a pedal, but point taken, matching the amp with the music type intended is always a good idea. Besides, the Class 5 (LOVE mine!) is way over his budget (double) which makes even less sense if it's not intrinsically suited to the music genre he intends to play.

I don't know if this helps but I picked up the Jet City 20 watt combo two weeks ago, from a local Music and Arts retailer. The tolex had a small tear in it, (about the size of a pencil eraser, 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch). They took and extra 75 bucks off the price. It was originally $250, down to $175. It sounds great, and for the price you can't beat it. Maybe you could check the scratch and dent sales. It can't hurt.

I know this isn't really in keeping with the spirit/intent of the thread, but...

In my opinion, the best option of an amp at maximum price of $200 - is to keep saving your money.

If you can afford $200, you can afford to save another few hundred and get something more suited to your needs.

I think you will be much happier with an amp you'll wanna keep long after you've bought others, eh?

In my experience the Valvetronix amps are decent but not great. Even with all the effects and modeling, I'd rather have one "real" tube amp. And I'm not a blues player..

I'm with the others... Save up and get a nice tube amp. If you need more gain, get a good distortion pedal. We can help you out on that too.

Well understanding the money and investment part of what you are looking to do...seeing as how I just went through the same thing...I actually ended up with the Vox VT15 myself. I actually really like mine. I use it just in my living room and not really at any crazy high volumes. It fit right withing what I wanted for my budget...161.00 at GC to be exact. I do think everyone is right when they say save up for a true full tube...but I also understand wanting to get into something within the budget you have set up. Either way I do really like mine and for what I am doing it was a pretty good choice.

thank you all for the opinions.... NeoConMan,guitarest I agree with you guys... but I have a maximun of $2,500 and I need a new guitar and amp... i´m thinkin on a les paul traditional plus is one of the few non-chambered gibson... they have Kluson-style tuners...etc etc.. and with the price of this guitar I wouldn´t have to much money for the amp... really do not know how to spend but I'm open to suggestions ....

Thank you all !!!.

While a Studio is a great guitar (I have 3, 50s Tributes), if that's not what he wants, lets not steer him there. What he may wish to do though is shop well to save $ on the Les Paul he does want. I've seen NOS Historics go for $2250, which would still leave him $250 for an amp. And if he wanted a Trad for sure, one could certainly be had for less. And lets not forget the potential for used (I bought my Classic Antique "used", mint condition, and yes, at 3 years old, I could not tell it or the case from new- not a mark on either, and zero signs of play wear- I paid $1503 with shipping- and I only started looking a few days before I bought it). He can do better and save some, it just depends on what he really wants. But let's not pin him to a Studio if it's not what he wants. There are more differences than just the binding and faded finish (again, I love my 50's Tributes!).

I just gave him advice on what I would do in his situation. To be honest its sounding like he is rather new to playing electrics and wanting to put all of his eggs in one basket. At the end of the day its his money and he should spend it how he wants to, he asked for advice on what to do and we gave it to him.

Archived