Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG VS Gibson SG

acdcman2345

hey there everyone...

i now own a Faded Epi G400 and love it. im going to be buying a new guitar soon. i was looking at the 1966 Epi G400 and a Gibson SG Standard. either way im going to put angus young signiture humbucker and a 57' humbucker into them. i only play at home for a hobbie. is it worth spending the extra 800 on just the guitar? im playing through a vox VT20+. i would love a gibson but just cant see the 800 dollar differents in the guitar shop. hope to hear back soon.

-Shaine-

when i was looking for an SG my first port of call was looking at second hand gibbys followed by g400's followed by copies. what i found was that 2 identical gibbys felt different to play as did 2 identical g400's not to mention the different SG models available. I ended up just trying every SG in the shop followed by every solid body hard tail 24.75 scale guitar in the whole shop that suited my price range, and chose the one that felt best regardless of brand name or colour.

I ended up with an Ibanez. [biggrin] but i was blessed because i saw a second had g400 for sale a few days later which felt great which i bought for £100.

Like yourself I only play at home for a hobby. I couldn't see myself justifying the extra expense for a Gibby so I picked up two Epis, you can see them in my sig picture, for much less than a Gibson would have cost me. I'm more than happy with the sound I get and unless the money is really no object to you I can't see any reason to buy a Gibson other than the name on the headstock. I don't think it will make you any happier in the end.

Sure, the Gibsons are better guitars and would most definitely sound better when played at high volume though a quality high powered tube amp. But at apartment volume levels, I don't see the point. Besides...the money I've saved can be put towards another guitar in the future when I come across something I can't resist.

And if Randy Bachman can play an Epi Slash goldtop in concert, I figure they're more than good enough for me! [biggrin]

I would go for the Gibby. You never know, you may grow into music more and want to perform.

then you'll already have a quality instrument. Ive owned the G400 and it was okay. Definitely not a Gibson though.

seeing as you already have the G400 I would even consider the '66 G400 because the only differences are a higher gloss

and a full pickguard. IMO go for the Gibson [thumbup]

Beastie [biggrin]

i had everything you guys said running through my head too. i just cant decide. lol i mean i deff get what your saying about getting the 66' its just to look like a real SG from gibson. i mean either way im going to get the pickups i said before...but its hard to justify 1100 hundred bucks. i mean im going to be playing with my friends and its just a hobby. just not sure hope to hear some more feedback

thanks guys

-Shaine-

If you are going to mod your new SG anyways, and you only play mostly for fun, I say go with the Epi SG...Why ??? Modding a Gibson SG is great; modding a Gibson SG is expensive, and doing so is moddifing an expensive Gibson in order to have a hobby guitar...SGs are much different than LPs in far as the Gibson vs Epi debate...I own both Epi LPs and Gibson LPs. I love them both, but Gibson LPs are Gibby LPs.....SGs are slab guitars; There are going to be differences in the quality of the mahogany used, but the proftit margin built into a slab Gibson SG is not worth it unless you have no problem in spending $$$ just to own a slab Gibson SG...I own both Epi and Gibson SGs. I don't care much for the SG shape, but I collect guitars, lots of them.....This thread caught my attention because I want a new SG myself even though I don't need one...I want an SG with P-90s, and I will not spend $3000.00 dollars on a slab Gibson SG with P-90s; for that money I could upgrade my woodshop and build me one from scratch...If you want to go Gibson SG, why not go with the Gibby SG faded from M.F. for $699.00 and mod it to your specs ??? ( PM me for pricing advice )...I myself am going to get an Epi 1966 G-400 SG and mod it up nicely with new hardware, custom drop in P-90s, and custom inlays; it is going to be a monster beauty in tone and beauty...Many Gibby collectors frown upon Epis, many don't.....I love both...I say go Epi and mod it to your specs.....PM me if you want....Damian.....

Epi and Gibson aren't your only choices. There a several Japanese brands that do an excellent SG impersonation, Tokai, Burny and Yamaha among the better of them. You'll get better quality electronics, pups and better build quaility than an Epi at not much more cost. I'm not dissing Epi, just in the current markert there's better deals to be found in SGs.

hey there everyone...

i now own a Faded Epi G400 and love it. im going to be buying a new guitar soon. i was looking at the 1966 Epi G400 and a Gibson SG Standard. either way im going to put angus young signiture humbucker and a 57' humbucker into them. i only play at home for a hobbie. is it worth spending the extra 800 on just the guitar? im playing through a vox VT20+. i would love a gibson but just cant see the 800 dollar differents in the guitar shop. hope to hear back soon.

-Shaine-

I bought both my Epiphone G400s used. The back standard model in mint condition cost me $225 with a hard shell case.

The 1966 reissue had a minor ding on the bottom and cost me $175.

BTW - I put tonrider Alnico IIs in the black one and GFS Mean 90s in the 66. Happy on both counts.

BTW2 - I also own a gibson sg special with Alnico IIs - I like that guitar a lot too but it doesn't cause me to like the Epiphone's any less.

This thread caught my attention because I want a new SG myself even though I don't need one...I want an SG with P-90s, and I will not spend $3000.00 dollars on a slab Gibson SG with P-90s

Sorry, I know this doesn't have much to with the thread but I thought Damian might be interested in this:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=p90-pickup-installation

Acdcman,

Good luck with your decision.

Willy

i just cant decide.

Shaine, as I already said in the Gibson SG forum ... why do you really want to buy a new one, when you say you're happy with the one you already have? Only because of the desired PUs? And what do you really need besides the new PUs?

If I were in your situation, I would see two possible options at first sight:

1. Buy a Gibson SG, which convinces me sound and playability wise after playing it and DON'T mod it.

2. Put the desired new PUs in the SG you already have and invest the saved money in nice effect pedals or maybe a high end headphone.

But if you don't mind the higher weight, think about getting the Epi Les Paul Tribute 1960, that I got in black, which has the same slim neck as the SG and Gibson 57 Classic PUs. Combined with the single coil simulation switch you get a huge range of different clean sounds and even when playing distorted, it sounds great.

I would definitly go to a shop and try the LP Tribute 60 and compare it to a Gibson SG, which might help to find out, what you REALLY need/want.

And yes, buying a second Epi SG wouldn't be an option for ME.

There is no real answer......

No, we can't give an answer. He should first find out, what he really wants and needs. And visiting guitar shops again might help here.

Maybe he'll play a different Gibson SG as before and says: "That's my dream guitar!" Or maybe he'll try out the LP Tribute 60 and he says: "Yeah, that's exactly the sound I was looking for and even more!"

Who knows ... this decision is a matter of taste, so we can only tell our opinions, but he has to decide for himself.

Senor Willy - GREAT LINK!!!! Guess where the link is headed? [drool][drool]

EDIT/EDIT: It's IN! DIY Guitar Pickup Info Section, Pickup Mod Sub-section.

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

ACTUALLY, the LAST FEW videos that show him SOLDERING the electronics are

EXCELLENT Tutorials for ANYONE, regardless of WHAT kind of Guitar. Must

remember that for FUTURE use!!!!!!!!

Beating_A_Dead_Horse.gif VS BeatDeadHorse.gifyes-no.gif

Shall ALWAYS be an ongoing argument. [biggrin]

There's no doubt that the Gibby is the better instrument but there's also no doubt that an SG standard costs a lot of money for the average home player.

If you want to collect guitars of several different styles, buying Epis is a great way to get good quality instruments without breaking the bank. However, if you only want one or two guitars in your stable, the cost of a Gibson or two may be justifiable.

...............If you want to go half way house, what about the Gibby SG faded? It's on equal par with the standard, quality wise..............but, being no frills, it won't break the bank.

I love my Gibby SG faded.

Alan

Ah sorry but the Gibby does need a mod, the nut is no good and as for depreciation, I don't know where you live but here in Toronto, you can't get close to what you paid when you re-sell a Gibby faded SG.

I bought mine new for £425 three years ago. A quick check on eBay completed listings reveals they currently go used for anywhere between £375 to £450. If you buy new you will 'break even' a few years down the line and if you buy used, as suggested above, you can't lose (unless it's fake or broken).

I agree that getting a properly cut nut on Gibsons is the luck of the draw but they're sold over-raised so they can be filed down at the base to suit the player's fretting style.

Archived