Gibson Brands Forums

guitar string cleaning

simka6

Hey guys, Happy new year and all that jazz!

I'm wondering what you all use to clean your guitar strings??

I've tried fast-fret and it was too oily for me, tried 'the string cleaner' but found that it was going to scratch my fretboard. Then i came across 'the swipe' which is a micro-fibre cloth coating a high memory virgin PVC card, with a ridge on one end that gets under and around every string, cleaning the fretboard without having to remove the strings and without having to over stretch them.

Its light, easy to use and only £4.99, best i've found so far!

Check it out or tell me of something better :)

www.the-swipe.com

personally i jst wip the strings with a rag after each use. as long as you use good strings they wont rust anyway. i didnt even need to change strings last year( apart from the hig e, but that was because i snapped it) the strings didnt rust at all and didnt sound dull at all. they still sounded brand spanking new.

First off;

Keep your hands reasonably clean.

Second;

Wipe your strings down with a dry cloth after you play.

Third;

Use strings with high nickel content.

Fourth;

Change them as needed.

You'll be fine.

[thumbup]

My oldest is not allowed to play my guitars.

He leaves behind what a buddy of mine calls CFS - crusty fxcking sh!t.

I swear to God, he plays my guitar for a minute and it's like he rubbed cheese all over the neck.

Some people's chemistry just works that way I guess.

First off;

Keep your hands reasonably clean.

Second;

Wipe your strings down with a dry cloth after you play.

Third;

Use strings with high nickel content.

Fourth;

Change them as needed.

You'll be fine.

[thumbup]

+1. I've tried a few different string cleaners, and they always left the strings feeling greasy(IMO)

Some people have more naturally acidic sweat and clog strings up pretty quick. I'd prefer to just keep new ones on it. I also agree with the person who mentioned bass, bass strings aren't cheap so I'd go ahead and clean those. But guitar strings aren't a big deal to change often.

On the bass strings, sometimes it's not always the price of a set of nickel bass strings, It's the time it takes for them to stretch and to take set. The nickel rounds do seem to hold pretty darn good.

My oldest is not allowed to play my guitars.

He leaves behind what a buddy of mine calls CFS - crusty fxcking sh!t.

I swear to God, he plays my guitar for a minute and it's like he rubbed cheese all over the neck.

Some people's chemistry just works that way I guess.

Dude that's happened to me a couple of times, I used to have a student in here that did that to any guitar he played, it didn't matter the strings were brand new just installed, he used them for half an hour and all of them were covered in a real crusty dirty thing... it was disgusting.

I'm really interested in this product, as I've posted here before, most young people come to my place asking for fastfret so they can have oily slipery strings, I think it's not healthy (I know some guys here use it but I don't like it at all and don't think it's good to mix sharp metalic stuff with anything that leaves residues and mixes with dirt and sweat and skin residues). So, I'm thinking this product could be a good replacement for that gunky stuff [thumbup]

What do you guys think?

Good conversation started by a spammer trying to sell a product. :)

Look he hasn't even come back to post!

It's 'she' darling and i was actually waiting to see if anyone had anything to say other than just change the strings!

Which is great but short on cash and if i'm honest i haven't quite mastered the changing of strings yet.

Also prefer them a bit more worn in 8-[

As for spamming- well i guess gone are the days of free speech! I forgot its not politically correct to give something that you like credit huh [-X

Thanks guys for all your input- impressed at the amount of replies! I'll be back with more q's =D>

Archived