Gibson Brands Forums

Better than the original

Shnate McDuanus

O.K. ; No, the Beatles aren't sacred; The drums are great...the bass is great...even the vocals are, uh, so so O.K......The guitar playing is among the worst I've ever heard.....Bad notes, bad tone, just plain poorly done.....Elenor Rigby, must be spinning around in her grave, 'cause metal ain't saved.....by this version....

I played in one metal band.....We literaly cracked the brick walls of our practice place.....from shear dbs, to shear talent........

Bad cover, IMHO...............TOOL covered the Beatles..and well....

They would do much better at Maiden covers........

Leave the Beatles covers to Oasis.

As for "better than the origional" Def Lepard did an entire CD of that on "YEAH!" their covers of the late 60s early 70s Brit invasion.....the only song they didn't improve on was Thin Lizzys "Dont Believe a Word".

And their lead guitarist Phil Colen sounds AMAZINGLY like Rod (the bod) Stewart on "Stay with me".

It's always interesting to hear a different take on something well known.

My question would be 'What of any value do you think you brought, new, to the song?".

In a preverse twist of logic the extra 'attitude' and volume it posesses completely robs the song of it's inherent emotional power. And it is a powerful composition.

IMHO, of course.

As I said at the start; Interesting take on it, nonetheless.

P.

The whole point is to play different kind of song in different kind of style. It is funny to see how it always divides opinions in general... which usually are strong opinions too. Anyway for me, these kind of experiments are kind of funny in wierd way and that makes them very intresting. This cover reminds me one melodic death metal band which is called Diablo... They made cover from ABBA's Dancing Queen song with very hard and very masculine vocals. It is very cool in very weird way. [smile]

With respect; why not, Big Bill?

The Beatles themselves messed with a whole lot of other folks' songs before they made it big themselves...no?

P.

I say this more in jest than anything else. I have listened to some Beatle covers that complemented the original very well. These examples, although entertaining, didn't do anything for me. Just my opinion, and my opinion is not worth much at market. [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z67IqrmygZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsS811o21-k

I say this more in jest than anything else. I have listened to some Beatle covers that complemented the original very well. These examples, although entertaining, didn't do anything for me. Just my opinion, and my opinion is not worth much at market. [biggrin]

LOL! You've just got to hand it to Pat Boone for having the nerve to put that version of 'Enter Sandman' out!

I, for one, like reading your opinions. Keep 'em coming, please, Big Bill. After all; opinions are what makes this place interesting.

And without you I'd never have heard Pat's version...

QED! LOL!

P.

O.K. ; No, the Beatles aren't sacred; The drums are great...the bass is great...even the vocals are, uh, so so O.K......The guitar playing is among the worst I've ever heard.....Bad notes, bad tone, just plain poorly done.....Elenor Rigby, must be spinning around in her grave, 'cause metal ain't saved.....by this version....

I played in one metal band.....We literaly cracked the brick walls of our practice place.....from shear dbs, to shear talent........

Bad cover, IMHO...............TOOL covered the Beatles..and well....

I thought I was aware of just about everything Tool's ever done, and I wasn't aware of a Beatles cover. What am I forgetting?

Drawing a blank here.

EDIT: Unless you're thinking of A Perfect Circle covering Imagine, by Lennon. The only cover I can think of by Tool was No Quarter by Zeppelin and You Lied by Peach.

I don't think anyone can do a Cover "Better" than the original, it's unfair to both parties. That's not to say that the quality of the cover is unable to be surpassed, just that the comparison will never be fair. The original is what made all the covers or renditions possible and the Cover Artist will never be able to overcome that hurdle, and the Original recording is an example of the song when it was just a couple months old. It hadn't had the chance to mature and be as tight an intuitive as it will be when it's been played on a tour or two. The Cover artist has had their whole life to perfect their take on the song. Making it an unfair comparison.

You can't compare today's light bulbs to the ones Thomas Edison invented. His were far inferior to any subsequent marketed model but his came from Nothing! Same with a cover. I really like Johnny Winters version of "Highway 61" and never cared for Dylans original. But that doesn't make the cover "Better" because it wouldn't exsist without the original, it's like saying "I love grapes, but I don't like the vine."

Hendrix, for example. But SRV's "Come On Part III" is better IMO than Jimi's "Come On Part II" but neither can be compared to Earl King's original because his came from nothing.

Archived