Gibson Brands Forums

Settling a bet

jnstrom

The bit that I found interesting and surprising, was when talking about the slim neck!

I think he was asked: Dose the slim neck suit your style? And he said: It is what it is and I had to work with it (or similar)

You would think the neck would be a key design requirement, but not Mr Page.

Makes you question the point of buying a signature model. I think in most cases, individual guitars are irreplaceable because of the memory attached, opposed to tone or feel.

Curious, what is the full subject of the bet? You said Page has it, he said he doesn't, or does he say it is somewhere specific.

I don't think Page has it (I'd guess it is in a museum somewhere, but to settle it, you may want to try contacting the Estate of Les Paul if nothing more conclusive presents itself).

Jimmy Page doesn't own the first Les Paul ever. In fact he looks uncertain in that video how he got Grover tuners on his guitar. I suspect he brought it like that and didn't notice it straight away. I like the interviewer asking would he part with it. The guitar is worth a million as a starting bid lol.

But Les Paul on the other hand used to receive a lot of the first runs.

He showed some of his guitar collection in the documentary about him made just before his death. It think it was called "Chasing Sound". If it wasn't mentioned when he was talking about all his guitars then I suspect he never had it as he was going into a fair bit of gear detail.

Jimmy Page doesn't own the first Les Paul ever. In fact he looks uncertain in that video how he got Grover tuners on his guitar. I suspect he brought it like that and didn't notice it straight away. I like the interviewer asking would he part with it. The guitar is worth a million as a starting bid lol.

But Les Paul on the other hand used to receive a lot of the first runs.

He showed some of his guitar collection in the documentary about him made just before his death. It think it was called "Chasing Sound". If it wasn't mentioned when he was talking about all his guitars then I suspect he never had it as he was going into a fair bit of gear detail.

Chasing Sound is THE best documentary I have seen in recent years.

It Documents the humble beginnings of legend, music, and analogue multi track recording as we know it today.

msp_thumbup.gif

Well none of those Townshend LPs are the first, that's for sure. The first was a goldtop with a trapezoid tailpiece.

The Gibson Electric Guitar Book says this about the subject:

Ted McCarty brough the finished prototype to Paul (...) The guitar did have Paul's combination tailpiece (...) the tailpiece was installed upside-down. The strings wrapped around the crossbar that acted as a bridge, and they were supposed to wrap over the top of the bar. (...) it was a perfectly playable guitar, but to a guitarist, it felt as if something was fundamentally wrong. (...) Paul fixed the problem immediately by heating up a screwdriver on his stove and using the hot blade to gouge out a channel in the top of the guitar to accept the bridge crosspiece. With the bridge essentially embedded in the top, the strings could now go over the bridge. That was good enough for Paul, at least for the moment.

That seems to indicate that Les Paul walked away with the "first" Les Paul (which would be the prototype). What happened to it after that, I've seen no mention of, nor do I know who has the first shipped Les Paul. By all accounts, it should be a goldtop with the trapezoid tailpiece however.

Anyone agree with me that the first Les Paul would be what was called "The Log"? Since it was designed and built by Les Paul himself, I'd consider It to be the first. I believe that one is in the Paul estate, but could very well be in the Gibson collection.

Didn't Paul Kossoff claim to have the first production Les Paul? That one got passed around a bit, if I recall correctly. Might check Rick Nielsen's vaults for it....

Anyone agree with me that the first Les Paul would be what was called "The Log"? Since it was designed and built by Les Paul himself, I'd consider It to be the first. I believe that one is in the Paul estate, but could very well be in the Gibson collection.

Didn't Paul Kossoff claim to have the first production Les Paul? That one got passed around a bit, if I recall correctly. Might check Rick Nielsen's vaults for it....

Nice shout! It was the first Les Paul for sure, but it wasn't really a Gibson. Well partly, the neck was. But the pickups were home-made and the detachable parts of the hollowbody on it were from an Epiphone. It's housed in the Country Music Hall of Fame these days, I believe.

Well none of those Townshend LPs are the first, that's for sure. The first was a goldtop with a trapezoid tailpiece.

The Gibson Electric Guitar Book says this about the subject:

Quote;

Ted McCarty brough the finished prototype to Paul (...) The guitar did have Paul's combination tailpiece (...) the tailpiece was installed upside-down. The strings wrapped around the crossbar that acted as a bridge, and they were supposed to wrap over the top of the bar. (...) it was a perfectly playable guitar, but to a guitarist, it felt as if something was fundamentally wrong. (...) Paul fixed the problem immediately by heating up a screwdriver on his stove and using the hot blade to gouge out a channel in the top of the guitar to accept the bridge crosspiece. With the bridge essentially embedded in the top, the strings could now go over the bridge. That was good enough for Paul, at least for the moment.

That seems to indicate that Les Paul walked away with the "first" Les Paul (which would be the prototype). What happened to it after that, I've seen no mention of, nor do I know who has the first shipped Les Paul. By all accounts, it should be a goldtop with the trapezoid tailpiece however.

There seems to be quite a few different stories of what the 'prototype' was actually like....

The first prototype as shown to Les Paul was finished in Gibson's then current two-tone sunburst (which is now called 'Vintage Sunburst').

According to Ted McCarty, in conversation with the writer and historian Gil Hembree (from 'Gibson Guitars - Ted McCarty's Golden Era 1948 - 66') this was his account of the Delaware Watergap meeting;

About the intended colour of the Les Paul guitar;

"From the start it would have had Gibson's trademark sunburst finish (as the prototype built for Les Paul did)..."

As far as the playability of the prototype;

Ted McCarty; "...I handed (the prototype) to him. He played it for a little bit, and then he played it some more. He was happy with it. Then he said; "I want Mary to hear this."......Les then handed Mary the guitar and said...."What do you think of it?".

She played it and said "I like the way it feels. It's easy to handle, it's very comfortable and has beautiful tone. It's a great guitar."

As far as the trapeze bridge/tailpiece is concerned, it is also most likely that this prototype had a normal Gibson tailpiece of the era with a separate bridge;

From the same book;

Then Les said; "I have one of my Epiphones with a round-bar tailpiece, that the strings come down and wrap around that. I think it's better." So I said "Okay. We'll put it on the guitar and replace that one.""

P.

Ummm.... I think the guy was asking about Jimmy Page's #1 Les Paul, not Gibson's first Les Paul. :unsure:

Yep. Some guys number their guitars instead of giving them names - that's what I was posting about with Townsend. Same with Page.

Still some interesting info has been posted.

Ummm.... I think the guy was asking about Jimmy Page's #1 Les Paul, not Gibson's first Les Paul. :unsure:

HaHa!

Yes, of course. You know that and I know that but does his friend know that?

Quite obviously the OP is talking about Jimmy Page's #1 but is that what his friend is betting on?

The OP clearly states "...the Gibson LP #1...". No mention of JP at all. Such inaccuracy deserves punishment........a 12-pack as a forfeit, say?

Pedants of the World Unite ! ! !

LOL!

P.

Yep. Some guys number their guitars instead of giving them names - that's what I was posting about with Townsend. Same with Page.

Still some interesting info has been posted.

That's what I thought as well...

Now the color of his double neck.. wasn't that a natural color, instead a red one??

Sparky -

av-16744.jpg. . Not sure what you mean by "natural", because your avatar pictures the double neck and it looks like it's stained cherry.

You're talking about this post I made - . . . . . . . (thread - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/61915-epiphone-g-1275-vs-gibson-eds-1275/ )

... if you've got a spare $52K - http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/6281/Gibson-Custom-Signed-Jimmy-Page-Double-Neck---Used/

Gibson Custom Shop Jimmy Page Double Neck, #15 of 25, signed and played by Jimmy Page. It is an exact recreation of Jimmy's original 1971 model-

Jimmy_Page_Double_Neck_Signed_15_a.jpg

Jimmy_Page_Double_Neck_Signed_15_e.jpg

Well actually B.K., I do believe he had 2 of these as well.

I paid a lot of attention to this color thing.

Like I said, some concert video footage shows that the double neck appears to have different grain of wood, that is very noticeable.

Being the footage isn't that great that is out there, on 1 of them the color looked like natural color, with no spraying of color at all, alias, natural or neutral..

Maybe a hint of gloss over the body?? I have noticed that on several occasions..

412px-Jimmy_Page_1983.jpg Not a real good pic. of it..

I do know he had a 1971 double neck we all know,

• Another Gibson doubleneck guitar was given to him after he agreed to allow the company to reproduce his original EDS-1275. The guitar was picked by Page out of numerous others after he struck one chord. Page declared "This is it, this is the one!" The guitar was marked (beforehand) #1.
  • I do believe that was what picture you had on there..

Archived