Gibson Brands Forums

West Coast or East Coast or Somewhere in Middle America

Californiaman

East Coast - specifically the (oft forgotten) oldest city (by which we mean continuously

occupied European settlement) in the U.S. -- Saint Augustine, FL on NE Florida's Atlantic

coast.

the-old-fortress-overlooking.jpg

Cool tidbit! Never knew that. Wish I was in Florida now. It is freezing here in the mid Atlantic region!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Home Boy couldn't have said it better:

"You should realize that the community with which you deal is not the one of 42nd Street and Broadway, or Hollywood and Vine. These are the crusts on the great American sandwich. The meat is in between." --- Fulton J. Sheen.

Bravo!!! [thumbup]

Thanks...

What kinda work are you doing?

Computer administration on specialized types of systems.

I always hated Houston, but I could always find work there.

(Crane operator)

All the chemical plants and refineries along the ship channel were my home for nearly 15 years.

Doesn't look all that different from the NJ Meadowlands and the landscape along NJ Turnpike. Rotten egg smell is about the same too.

I'm working in an office building in Downtown. I got a kick out of two women in the office complaining about the "cold" weather. (It's in the low teens in NJ with just a hint of Blizzard in the air for Wednesday).

I'm sure you will find taxes cheaper, the food incredible, the humidity unbearable, and mosquitoes year-round.

No state income tax either. B)

Cost of everything (so far) is cheaper. Food-- (I don't see some of my Italian and Portuguese favorites) haven't had much of a chance to sample only been in town since Friday.

I don't mind the heat (I hate being #$%^ing cold and paying astronomical heating bills),

I left my cats at home, Kinda' miss 'em, if the mosquitos are big enough I'll just give them names a dish of milk and some friskies.

As for the state income tax.. I took a 20k salary cut to come down here, AND I STILL GET A RAISE without the taxes in NJ. Over $8500 in state income tax; $13,000 in real estate taxes; $7.60 a pack of smokes; Gas tax is "lower" in NJ, but somehow or other gas prices are the same here at Exxon/Shell as they are in NJ at Costco (cheapest around); Apartments even in Downtown are half what they were in my area of NJ...Etc

My ex-wife is in Alvin.

If you run into her, back up and run into her again.

What kind of car does she drive.. I'll keep a NYC taxi driver's eye out for her!!

Born in Lebanon Pa.. But my dad was a serviceman (Lifer). Seen most of Europe, Japan, And all over the U.S. before I was 16. When my dad retired moved to Virginia, Hampton Roads. Graduated here and Now I live in Portsmouth and been working Navy ships in a Employed Owned shipyard for 27 years. I love the East coast. For a person that loves history I live in the Place to be James Town,Norfolk, Yorktown, and most places from the Civil and Revalutionery Wars are a couple hours drive away. I love it here. [thumbup]

I've lived a number of places. Mostly the northern plains. For 15 years traveled all over the U.S. and forays overseas. Memphis a bit over 8 years but in Little Rock on average at least a day a week for work. Everywhere I've been I've found nice folks.

Right now? The literal geographical center of the U.S. For a cupla years and an appropriate paycheck would I move elsewhere? Yeah, probably. Almost anywhere except for jungle-type places. But at my age it probably ain't likely to get an appropriate offer.

If somebody gave me $1-10 million and said, live anywhere you want... It'd probably be where I am, more or less. In fact, probably within a dozen miles north, east or west. Cold winters kill the bugs. Hot summers make you appreciate spring and fall. The neighbors mostly are nice, and they're spread out a bit. It would be great fun to host a "retreat center" with some instructors of philosophy, music and martial arts - or just a place to be away from it all and have good meals or lose weight or...

All kidding aside, I've a theory that a lot of our perspective on far more than how to get to work is affected by the spot we call "home." For example, if I moved to London, I'd think of rodeo as something far, far away in time and space, and I'd be considering Scotland or northern Germany for summer holidays. Were I living in Seoul, I'd enjoy the unique Korean cultural experience that adds a city of over 13 million to what's essentially a traditionally agrarian culture. America would be a million miles away.

A lot of what we consider important, both at macro and micro level, seems to come from where we are perched in geographical terms...

m

"You should realize that the community with which you deal is not the one of 42nd Street and Broadway, or Hollywood and Vine. These are the crusts on the great American sandwich. The meat is in between." --- Fulton J. Sheen.

What was the context of that comment?

Pleasantly aphoristic though it may be, it does seem awfully dismissive of the coasts. Then again, I've never been one to heed the words of public indoctrinators like Fulton Sheen.

I've lived in Maryland all my life, except for about 3 months I lived in Wilmington Delaware.

I'm about halfway between Baltimore and Annapolis. I'm sure it's not the greatest place in the world, but there is always something to do if you want and you usually don't have to go to far for anything you need.

Pleasantly aphoristic though it may be, it does seem awfully dismissive of the coasts. Then again, I've never been one to heed the words of public indoctrinators like Fulton Sheen.

Fulton was being a D!ck. D!cks often target the coasts.

Please pardon my huge ignorance, but where are you?

Some people in northeast Ohio refer to this area as the "North Coast" because of Lake Erie. Hasn't caught on nationally, but a lot of people around here use it quite a bit as a second name for Cleveland.cool.gif

Some people in northeast Ohio refer to this area as the "North Coast" because of Lake Erie. Hasn't caught on nationally, but a lot of people around here use it quite a bit as a second name for Cleveland.cool.gif

word. I love all of the Great Lakes coasts. I hear Lake Erie has cleaned up a lot in the past fifteen years. Well, at least the sludge has settled to the bottom.

I enjoy reading where people are from.

Growing up in the shadows of the Magic Kingdom in Orange County during the '60s through the early '90s was great.

I can say I've lived in three area codes during my life, the 714, the 760, and the 805.

Can't even begin to compare one to the other. They're all so different from each other.

I'll be in the OC soon, if just for one day, to see Joe Bonamassa in Anaheim.

It's always nice to get back home for a visit.

I can't believe how nice it is here on the Central Coast today. It's 65 as I write this.

The sun's out. Could reach 70 today. Lots of sunshine.

I got to put down my guitar and get outside.

It's just I've been playing the explicative out of my Fulltone Plimsoul pedal this morning.

I really love this pedal.

The great American legal system is like a **** sandwich: the more bread you have, the less **** you have to eat. Anyway I'm from New Orleans, living in Los Angeles now and loving it.

I think the context was that the audience had only Hollyweird and New York to use as examples of what the United States was like. I don't think he was being dismissive of the coasts I think he was puting those tiny two areas of an entire country in to their proper perspective.

I enjoy reading where people are from.

Growing up in the shadows of the Magic Kingdom in Orange County during the '60s through the early '90s was great.

I can say I've lived in three area codes during my life, the 714, the 760, and the 805.

Can't even begin to compare one to the other. They're all so different from each other.

I'll be in the OC soon, if just for one day, to see Joe Bonamassa in Anaheim.

It's always nice to get back home for a visit.

I can't believe how nice it is here on the Central Coast today. It's 65 as I write this.

The sun's out. Could reach 70 today. Lots of sunshine.

I got to put down my guitar and get outside.

It's just I've been playing the explicative out of my Fulltone Plimsoul pedal this morning.

I really love this pedal.

You're right, I just took a walk for lunch. Couldn't be any nicer here on the Central coast.

I was born at Travis Air Force Base in the Bay Area, California and then moved to Air Force Bases in Italy, France, then Arkansas where I was until 87. Then Texas (Galveston), then Santa Barbara for a year, the Bay Area for nearly 20 years, Portland OR for 1.5 then Santa Barbara where I'd like to stay for the rest of my life.

When I was doing some work in Paris a thousand years ago or so, a French guy I was working with asked me what I thought of the place.

I told him there were many beautiful places to go and many interesting things to do and the foods even in blue collar neighborhoods was wonderful - but the people were not very friendly.

His response was that he understood... then added, "But it's a big city. Do you want me to judge America by New York and Chicago and Los Angeles?"

Nope.

m

A lot of what we consider important, both at macro and micro level, seems to come from where we are perched in geographical terms...

I agree Milod.

If I lived back in June Lake, CA I'd be skiing. Unless of course the lakes were open for fishing. And that would be sufficient for the day.

If I wasn't doing that, it would be some chore around the house.

OR I'd be planning my next trip out.

word. I love all of the Great Lakes coasts. I hear Lake Erie has cleaned up a lot in the past fifteen years. Well, at least the sludge has settled to the bottom.

Yeah, Lake Erie's cleaned up quite a bit from what it used to be. I remember it was pretty bad years ago, back when the Cuyahoga River caught fire . . .

Archived