Gibson Brands Forums

Songs that give you the shivers

Kiwi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've posted a version elsewhere, I think, but one that tightens my throat most every time I hear it is "Desperadoes waiting for a train." Jerry Jeff Walker has a good version on Youtube, but the "Highwaymen" (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Chris Christopherson) have one you might prefer. Look 'em up.

Another 2, Johnny Cash: His version of "Hurt" and "Ain't no grave."

On a much lighter note: Chris Ledoux "A five dollar fine for whining." Garth Brooks' song about Chris after his death, "Good ride, Cowboy."

Now to get really strange... Wagner, Liebestodt from Tristan and Isolde. In the right/wrong mood, Ride of the Valkyries.

Angry... Le Boudin instrumental especially. Or any bagpipe march...

m

Songs that give you the shivers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc

Neal Youngs songs for me also he pretty much wrote the soundtrack of my generation in some ways.

One of the truly great acoustic songs - instantly recognizable and I would bet it takes most of us back to a earlier time. Speaking of songs that give shivers his song "The Needle and the Damage Done" reminds me of a very close friend I lost

Funny thing about Ashokan Farewell is that it's "new," not of that era.

I like it too, btw.

Milod #1 played a fife at the time. I have no idea how he learned, but he was enlisted as a musician regardless.

He wasn't at Antietem. Bypassed it as far as I can tell in '64 or '65. However a memorial service I once wrote has been used there . <grin>

m

Funny thing about Ashokan Farewell is that it's "new," not of that era.

I like it too, btw.

Milod #1 played a fife at the time. I have no idea how he learned, but he was enlisted as a musician regardless.

He wasn't at Antietem. Bypassed it as far as I can tell in '64 or '65. However a memorial service I once wrote has been used there . <grin>

m

Yeah, Ashoken Farewell was the only music used in that series that wasn't actually from that time period.

When you say you wrote a memorial service, do you mean a song or speech? I've actually never been to Antietem even though I'm only about an hour or so away. Gotta see it some day before it gets developed.

The two guitar solos in this song. They're not fast, they're very slow with feel...

I've studied and adored Clapton, Page, Hendrix for 40 years, and I think this might be the most chilling solo I've ever heard ANYONE play.

"Theme from an Imaginary Western" by Mountain. The first is somewhere around 2:45, the second around 4:05. Leslie West. Some of his notes are played like syrup. Hardly any but a 300 pound man could play with this much gravity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l_x0xH9fLM&feature=fvst

The two guitar solos in this song. They're not fast, they're very slow with feel...

I've studied and adored Clapton, Page, Hendrix for 40 years, and I think this might be the most chilling solo I've ever heard ANYONE play.

"Theme from an Imaginary Western" by Mountain. The first is somewhere around 2:45, the second around 4:05. Leslie West. Some of his notes are played like syrup. Hardly any but a 300 pound man could play with this much gravity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l_x0xH9fLM&feature=fvst

Yes! One of the finest Masterpieces in rock history. RIP Felix Pappalardi

I've posted a version elsewhere, I think, but one that tightens my throat most every time I hear it is "Desperadoes waiting for a train." Jerry Jeff Walker has a good version on Youtube, but the "Highwaymen" (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Chris Christopherson) have one you might prefer. Look 'em up.

That's a great tune. I love Guy Clark's version (he did write it after all).

Though I have not heard all of the versions you mentioned. I've watched Guy

do that live in small settings and been seriously moved by it.

Man, a lot of great selections here, the Neil Young and Dire Straits certainly among them. Thanks guys.

I'll admit I'm someone who will sometimes tear up to a song on my iPod on the bus on the way home from work or on a plane, but here are a couple that come to mind right now that give me the shivers:

First, Steve Earle's tribute to Townes Van Zandt::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4WOys7sWvU

The other is this Jorma Kaukonen gem (it kills me when you see him play this live, his body language almost tries to downplay how beautiful this is, as he seems to do at the end of this performance):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXqiVFnbY8

Archived