Gibson Brands Forums

National Anthem

NeoConMan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn! I'd "+1" you, bud, but I've already expended my allowance for the current 24-hour period.

I owe you one.

(Actually, I DO think Cyndi is talented, but your response to Neo is LOL funny.)

That pic Neo posted is Fergie urinating herself at a concert [scared]

So Christina Aguilera sings the National Anthem.

It wasn't as bad as some in recent years, but I still have to ask;

Why can't they just fxcking SING it?

I'm sick and tired of a national icon being "interpreted" as some teeny-bopper bubble-gum Top 40 hit.

$.02 from some guy on the Internet.

Everyone at the party where I was had the same question. Answer: Ego

So Christina Aguilera sings the National Anthem.

It wasn't as bad as some in recent years, but I still have to ask;

Why can't they just fxcking SING it?

I'm sick and tired of a national icon being "interpreted" as some teeny-bopper bubble-gum Top 40 hit.

$.02 from some guy on the Internet.

I said the same thing while watching it tonight. Nobody sings the melody any more. They throw in all these "blues" notes to disguise the fact that they can't hit the right ones.

Way to many people singing the National Anthem these days noodle it because they can't sing in the first place. It is a rare treat when an artist sings the notes the way it was written. It's not only the Anthem, noodleing seems to be a style of singing these days by talentless artist and people trying out for American Idol.

I think all this nonsense started back several years ago when Whitney Houston sang the anthem and got tons of press for her 'arrangement and performance' of it. There were radio stations that were actually playing it back in regular rotation. Since then, it seems like every time the song is sung, its by someone trying to show off their chops instead of respect.

I wonder if our northern friends have the same problems with 'Oh Canada'.

They should dispense with it entirely.

I also wonder why it became mandatory to have a fat guy in a funny hat sing "God Bless America" like he's opera-man during the seventh inning stretch at baseball games.

That kind of pseudo-patriotism gives me the creeps.

Amen, brother!!

Neo is right. You don't "tart up" the National Anthem. Bad taste and all too common these days.

Agreed. Leave it alone. It's the National F'n Anthem!!!!!!!!!

I said the same thing while watching it tonight. Nobody sings the melody any more. They throw in all these "blues" notes to disguise the fact that they can't hit the right ones.

Worse yet. Watch the beginning of any "NAPCAR" race and listen to some 'o them Country warblers bang out a creative rendition or two!! [thumbdn]

On the other end of the entertainment delivery system.

Folks,

The National Anthem does not end with the word 'Free'. \:D/

It ends with 'Brave'. Please try to contain your enthusiasm for the impending game by waiting until the 'fat lady' has finished the song.

please?

Truth be told, I'd rather some high school music teacher start us all off by walking in from the end zone to center field, then blowing one of them round harmonica like pitch pipes, then WE ALL sing the anthem in unison, no matter how badly. It's obvious the 'pros' are not up to the task.

There is nothing more hair on the back of the head raising than hearing 80,000 voices singing the National Anthem A capella.

They should dispense with it entirely.

I also wonder why it became mandatory to have a fat guy in a funny hat sing "God Bless America" like he's opera-man during the seventh inning stretch at baseball games.

That kind of pseudo-patriotism gives me the creeps.

Amen!

Amen!

Thanks for the acknowledgment.

There were a couple here who felt the need to allot their daily negatives to my comment, but didn't feel the need to identify themselves. That's OK, though, because they are the true patriots.

I'm sure that they realize that the national anthem is a hymn, and that it's not appropriate to clap or cheer after a hymn... but that's another thread entirely.

This is for them - I suppose that they'll get all yummy inside just from watching.

Archived