Gibson Brands Forums

Do you like Fenders?

Geert1976

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably going to get linched for this but.......

I traded a Gibson Swampash Studio Les Paul back in January for a 2010 American Special Strat with Texas Special pickups and with a two tone sunburst body and maple neck. Then, very recently I spent the most money I've ever laid down for a Guitar on an American Deluxe Telecaster in Butterscotch Blonde and it's quite simply the finest guitar I've ever owned. I will invest in a Gibson again in the future but for a Guitar that can do all things, you cannot beat the Deluxe Tele, the S1 switching ties the two single coil noiseless pickups together with boost for an amazing humbucker sound. I loved the 50s neck on my studio Les Paul but the compound radius neck on the Tele is something else entirely. I'm looking to get a fender jaguar next to complete the fender set and then will start looking at a nice Les Paul, preferably a Standard.

DSC01086.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

Come on guys....

This is a Gibson forum, and the thread was titled P-90.

[glare][blink][bored] :angry:

Eh, what the hell... [woot]

Big single coils of every stripe and flavor are worth looking into.

I posted my Rickenbacker 381 earlier - with the Toaster-Top pickups.

DeArmond and others made some very cool stuff over the years.

I've owned plenty of them myself. [thumbup]

The P-90ish replacements in a humbucker size make a great alternative as well.

I've told people for years in various forums that there are WAY more single coil varieties than humbuckers.

Those threads NEVER lasted very long...

But think about it - the standard humbucker has only so many variations.

Magnet material and number of windings.

Covers on or off - don't get me started on THAT bullsh!t.... [-(

The different single coils came in so many shapes, sizes, materials - it's mind-boggling.

I admit I've never warmed up to the Fender bride's maids - Jaguar, Mustang, Jazzmaster, etc.

But I've always been intrigued by some of the pickups.

Those big single coils in the Jazzmasters MUST have something going for them, eh?

Maybe someday I'll build another Strat and drop in a pair... [cool]

I honestly dont have a Gibson or a Fender. The only guitar I have is a Schecter (hey I am 18 money isnt always bouncing my way) but I have always liked both. I like them both for different reasons but I cant imagine having both and having one that I love over the another. That is if they are the same in terms of playability.

I understand if one or the other just isn't one's cup of tea.

Individual preferences, influences, and early exposure to certain types of guitars - and what not.

But to disparage one or the other categorically?

There are many variables to consider...

I think Fenders are great. Always have. It's Gibsons I never could connect with, really, but I'm making another go of it.

I like the Fender neck radii a lot, I mainly chord, and it facilitates that well for me. The Gibsons I've owned always seemed to be useful for riffing to me, which I find a little clichè in the 21st century.

I also like single coils a lot more than humbuckers, I want an open and clean sound, not a mid-range heavy sound. The guitar is a great instrument, but for a lot of its range, most vocals and other instruments overlap. Humbuckers emphasize a lot of the range which is already overlapped... which can make the whole sound be "heavy", but I'm moving away from that sort of thing. If I ever really did it.

That being said, a lot of single coil instruments suffer from poor shielding and bad electronics, and are thus noisy. Play a top of the line Fender, and that's the sound you really should be hearing. A lot of folks play cheaper instruments, and confuse that with what a proper single coil guitar can sound like. Humbucker equipped guitars, even when they are crap, are inherently more forgiving.

Of course, what my opinion is means nothing really, get what you want.

But there are a lot of things to recommend about Fenders.

Sometimes the job calls for a Fender, everyone should have one.

And since the question was "do you like Fenders?", even though I'm probably one of the most dedicated Gibson Players here, I have a couple of Stratocasters that would be hard to part with.

A very wise man indeed.

Both Gibson and Fender are fantastic guitars. To play just the one is almost narrow minded. Every one should have a Fender, Gibson, Gretsch and you name it. No one guitar or company is better than the other

... a lot of single coil instruments suffer from poor shielding and bad electronics, and are thus noisy.

Play a top of the line Fender, and that's the sound you really should be hearing.

A lot of folks play cheaper instruments, and confuse that with what a proper...

.... with what a proper ANYTHING should sound like.

Thank you.

And welcome to the forum. [thumbup]

I recently picked up a Squier Affinity Telecaster in Butterscotch Blonde. I have to say my number one is still my Gibson SG Special,.....BUT......I picked this up for 70 buck and man this thing can wail! I think I will turn it into my first project guitar. I do not have much experience in soldering and changing out pickups, but I think this is a great time to start. For 70 bucks, hell why not. The only thing I have done to it so far is change out the pickup selector switch knob from that white one in the picture to a black tophat.

IMG_4773.jpg

.... with what a proper ANYTHING should sound like.

Thank you.

And welcome to the forum. [thumbup]

Why thank you. I'm digging it here, actually, even though right now I'm playing an American Standard Tele trying to get some skills with my b-bender... I suck at the b-bender, and I didn't leave it alone with that, I also put on a g-bender, which I also suck at. I am having technical issues with the benders, but this carpenter isn't blaming his tools. The issues will be resolved, and in time I might be good... either way, I love me a Tele.

I'm also waiting on a 2010 Gibson Firebird, which is how I come to be on this forum today. It was a huge purchase- only the second guitar I've ever bought new. I've never played one. I'm not a huge fan of the Les Pauls and SG that I've owned. But I'm putting together a guitar collection again after having had only my Jazzmaster for the last five years as my only electric. I love that Jazzmaster, but I needed some other sounds and inspiration. So I bought a Les Paul Studio used, and when I got a larger than expected tax return, I though, "What have I wanted for a really long time and never got around to getting? If I could have something with just one click... with money I never thought I'd have, what would that be?"

Gibson Firebird. I'm pretty excited. I don't get it until April, apparently. That's cool, I have other guitars. But I'm happy to be supporting American business and heritage with it, let's keep the money in the States, is what I thought.

Which brings me to this: Fender and Gibson are great, great instrument makers and something we can all be proud of. Plenty of missteps over the years with both company's products, but you try and keep up with the ever changing vagaries of musicians and at the same time satisfy your customer's needs for your classic designs. Some work better for others, but at the end of the day, isn't it great that they and others have been in great competition for our business? We've all made out great because of that.

And the fact is, Gibson and Fender are in tough spots, because their classic designs have nailed it. Teles, Strats (I guess- I'm lukewarm on them), Les Pauls, Firebirds, and of course I have to give a nod to my favorite Jazzmasters- they are all incredible designs. If you sat someone down and gave them parameters of what you expected a great guitar to be, that's what they would give you. Time and time again. You don't have to look any further than the Telecaster, a model which its own creator was happy to retire in favor of his next design, the Strat. Leo Fender thought he had worked out all the flaws of the Telecaster with the Strat, and was somewhat surprised to find that a lot of people thought it was great just how it was, and here we are in 2011, I'm having my beer and playing one.

These guys were flying by the seat of their pants... and they still nailed it!

I mean, for years, I've considered myself a Fender man, but I'd hate to think of a world without Gibson in it. I'm glad I don't have to think of that, and I hope I never do. I'm also a Saint Louis resident, and watching Anheuser-Busch end up in overseas hands really made me realize how much we need to cherish and support our legacy and products- although, on my part, I was drinking plenty of their beer.

I say Fender and Gibson all the way. Did I mention I'm drinking beer and playing guitar and getting sentimental while I write this? It's Busch beer, too, by the way. I still drink the stuff. I probably should buy something else.

Archived