Gibson Brands Forums

How anal are you about tuning?

Silenced Fred

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted "I tune after every song", since that was the closest choice to my reality, I had to pick it. In reality, if my guitar sounds out of tune, I tune it. It usually stays in pretty well.

I'm with you... I voted after every song...but in reality, I tune before starting, and unless something weird happens, I generally don't need to re-tune for that session.

If I hear something that doesn't sound right, I tune at the first opportunity.

People are blowing this way out of proportion. I'm talking a matter of 10-20 cents, not half steps out. notes might sound a little off, but not completely different tunings.

Geez...

10% to 20% out of tune is too much for me.

20% up with the guitar, 20% down with the vocals, and then, well, you'll start sounding like Neil Young.

I suppose that's ok if that's what you like.

I like my tuning right on the money, including intonation up and down the neck as close as possible. You get 2 or more guitars playing at the same time on stage and if one is out of tune; it greatly deteriorates the quality of the music in my opinion. Same thing when listening to Youtube demos and some guy is demoing a pedal. If his guitar is out of tune and he doesn't fix it, I stop listening and don't really take him or the pedal he's demoing seriously; it just sounds unprofessional. Any real musician would tune up before shooting the video anyway.

^^I luv my little Snark tuner :) But the TU-3 only @ gigs.

Not too worried, as long as its close (5 votes [27.78%])

WHAT is "close"? Lol, G# is pretty close to A, so a tone between the two is very close to both.[rolleyes]

as 1 of those votes, i attest that i based my answer on relative tuning versus perfect "A=440" tuning. in other words, if my guitar's strings are in tune with each other, i don't sweat if my A=440... [biggrin]

however, i DO sweat this when i am recording, if only so that when i go back later i can more easily match what's already been tracked...

-Don

If I have a tuner around I'll use that, but unless I'm way off for some reason I usually just adjust by ear. When playing with others it always helps to have a reference though, so a tuner really helps there, same with recording.

As for the accuracy of the tuner used and the OPs story about the guitar store dude favouring the Boss over the Polytune, well... What's the difference between the two? A fraction of a cent? I don't know. I doubt it would be anything I'd worry about when it comes to tuning just to play. I totally understand the idea of wanting to have an accurate reference to tune to, and trying to be as precise as possible. The guitar is using equal temperament and the more accurate the tuner is, the closer you will be to the equal temperament system. But. Unless I'm totally mistaken, (and I might be. It happens!) in the equal temperament system used the most correct intervals are Fourths and Fifths, and they are about 2 cents off. The worst would be the Minor 7th which is over 31 cents off! At least that's what I can make of it. Correct me if I'm wrong! If this compromise has sounded ok to us for a few centuries, I'm not sure a tiny difference in accuracy in 21st century technology will make or break it for me.

Still, it's always best to try to be as accurate to the system as possible as that system is what we have to work with. But when it comes down to tiny differences I think I'd go for ease of use as far as tuners go. So, if I were to purchase a new tuner I'd probably go with the Polytune over the Boss.

So how anal am I about tuning? I don't know. I don't feel any of the poll alternatives really apply to me.

Even a perfect guitar is almost impossible to be tuned perfectly....The inherent design is imperfect....Each musician / guitarest chooses what level of perfection is tolerable to him / her...And we each choose which imperfection fits our playing best...Myself, the G and B strings are the ones I tune 'my way' ever so slightly...And there is the Buzstien something tuning system, which is interesting...

I'm working on a C.D. with just a gal on piano and me on guitar and other instuments; Playing guitar with a perfectly tuned piano really shows how difficult keeping a guitar tuned is....

( Off hand, the C.D. will be released early fall. )

glad someone notices. guitar and piano presents inherent challenges, and i think many players don't pay attention to this. especially blues and music with altered chords. firstly, keyboard players have a tendancy to play chords structured 135 where guitarist play chords structured mostly 153. this plases the notes in odd places, but then when you add the 7th or the 6th, the two together can be absolutely and actually a wrong chord collectively.

when i play with a keys player, i tend to lay of playing full chords and/or play chords with a 135 structure while i see where the other player wants to go. this gives him/her more space, and i think they have more fun playing with me. when my slot is in the same place as the keys this gives some real power to what we are playing together (god i miss playing). when the tune calls for certain riffs on the guitar, i do the opposite, i lay down the riff and i own it, and i leave a little space in between for the keys to find the slot.

anyway, back down to earth, interestingly, the piano is not tuned to a perfect pitch either. there are different tunings for a piano, the strings are purposly tuned slighty different to each other in some cases. it is that micro difference in the tuning that gives a piano that full, chorusing effect. on the one hand, certain things played on the guitar with a piano always just sound sick, but on the other, sometimes the combo together is huge and beautiful. sometimes finding that slots humbles me letting me know how much i can suck at playing the chords right.

I'm with Kimba - see below...

I didn't see an option in the poll that works for me.

I do the strum test, just to challenge my now-lazy ears.

If something seems a bit off, I try to predict what my Boss TU-2 is gonna tell me.

I step on the pedal, check the lights (output is muted) and make needed adjustments BEFORE I play.

Play to my heart's content until my ear tells me something may be a bit off.

I waste no time messing around with it - if I even think something's off I step on the tuner.

My ears have gotten more keen to it, but my tuning skills (by ear) are very rusty.

More of a patience thing I guess, I won't play The Tune-Up Song when I ALWAYS have a tuner.

(except for the drummer, he can be out of tune).

I remember the "Eureka" moment when I discovered drums are tuned as well. [scared][woot]

I was talking to some guys I played with about Kiss Alive II and the tone on that.

Some cool guitar stuff on that album, but every now and then the drums seemed a bit - dissonant?

Shock Me I believe - the tom is sorta off and it was grating on me.

Made the joke about needing to "tune" it and my drummer friend agreed.... [rolleyes]

Huh?

B)

Archived