Gibson Brands Forums

What songs are you working on?

Silenced Fred

Other than two originals I'm writing now, working on learning "Hey Johnny Park" by the Foos, and some random songs from bands nobody here has heard of

Go ahead, tell us who they are. We're only ignorant 'till we know.

On Topic: In preparation for some out of town gigs (not to mention the spring and summer season in general)the band is working on;

Janis Joplin - Move Over

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Change It

Jethro Tull - Cross Eyed Mary

Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls

Fleetwood Mac- Rhiannon

while the Drummer gets up to speed on;

Led Zeppelin - Black Dog

Whitesnake - Still of the Night

on a personal level I'm just figuring out Leon Russel's "Rip Van Winkle".

thanks for asking!! hahaha

actually me and the two guys i've been jamming with for the last few weeks are gonna get some more people together and play our school's Battle of the Bands at the beginning of May.

As of now, we pretty much got Sunshine of Your Love down; just gotta incorporate the drums and any other people we add to the band.

Tomorrow we're gonna start working on Revolution by the Beatles.

I think we gotta have 3 songs for Battle, so who knows what else we'll do? We'll come up with something... we might do Knockin' on Heaven's Door cuz we all know that, or we may write our own song, or maybe we'll find something else that works!!

---

In addition, my friend and I are gonna go into a recording studio to record some (mostly) acoustic stuff with me playing guitar and her singing. For that, we wrote a couple originals and are in the processs of writing a few more, as well as some covers. I gotta learn "Wonderwall" by Oasis, and I personally wanna do "Deja Vu All Over Again" by John Fogerty, "Fine" or "Dead on the Floor" by Alkaline Trio, and "Mighty to Save" by Hillsong cuz I love playing all those acoustically, but it's really mostly up to her on what she wants to sing since I can't really sing and her parents are paying for the recording session... [blush]

But no matter what we actually end up doing, it doesn't really matter to me because it's gonna be my first time professionally recording and I'm not planning/trying to get famous from this or anything.... for me, it's all about the experience and the fun!! [biggrin][thumbup]

I'm learning Buffalo Springfield's "Broken Arrow" and Moby Grape's "Someday." They're not so hard. I'm also working on Morbid Angel's "The Ancient Ones." That one is a challenge.

In addition to that I've been writing a lot of songs that I'll record once I get back to my dorm and set up my equipment (by which I mean a really sh*tty microphone, a cheapo drum machine and Audacity,) with the hopes of putting out a demo EP. So far, the songs sort of have a blackened deathgrind feel, except for one song which, IMO, has a real Suicidal Tendencies-style groove going on, and one song which is sort of a thrash/death piece, a little bit like early Possessed but with (slightly) cleaner vocals. I don't mean to brag, but I am really, really proud of the lyrics for these songs--the riffs are pretty solid, if not just a little predictable or cliched (although I can always pass them off as "classic" or "old school,") but my excuse for slightly uninspired music is inexperience. This is, after all, my first demo. Also, if I can't find a bass to record with (I'm trying to borrow my friend's bass,) I'll add bass lines by playing them on guitar and digitally lowering the pitch--it's not as much fun and it doesn't sound great, but it'll do in a pinch. The drum machine also doesn't sound great, but it works just fine for the blast beat and d-beat stuff I do.

A solo acoustic set for my next trip to Birmingham.

Toes- Zach Brown Band

Crow and the Butterfly- Shinedown

Hero- Nickleback

Trees- Rush

Margaritaville- Jimmy Buffet

Blackbird- Beatles

I'm Your Captain- Grand Funk Railroad

Chevy Van- My rendition of the Sammy Johns tune

Southern Cross- Crosby, Stills and Nash

Turn the Page- Bob Seger

And some others... not necessarily in the order listed.

i'm going to be doing some "alternative" comedy first, why is it alternative? because it's not funny! [cool] then i've got a good choice of my tunes but i hope to get better at recording as the last lot had their flaws... [huh]

anyway i have a song called "delusion of love" dedicated to richard dawkins or "curse of superman" mostly about me and any blonde lady...

I was asked to learn 3 Live (the band) songs. Not songs that would be in my priority list but if you want to play with other guys you have to be flexible.

Pain Lies on the Riverside

Selling the Drama

Lightning Crashes

Just got the play list for the 1st set of the new Big Band show (performance date April 27).

Here's the highlights:

Take The "A" Train - Duke Ellington (really Billy Strayhorn)

Walk Between The Raindrops - Donald Fagan

In Walked Bud - Thelonious Monk

I Won't Dance - Jerome Kern

In A Mellow Tone - Duke Ellington

Wind Machine - Sammy Nestico

Love For Sale - Cole Porter

Spain - Chick Corea

Chick Corea's "Spain" is going to be the most challenging (for me), and fun. For the melody parts the guitar mimics the horn leads, and it's got a rippin' guitar solo.

Here's a YouTube of the arrangement we're doing, except we open it with a piano solo instead of the horns.

I love the strange little F# to G chord shift in that one. Very Atypical Blues for Zep. [thumbup]

LarryL5 - That's a great set list, makes me wish I'd stuck with the trumpet [thumbup]

Tea for one and Since I've been loving you, are both " grail " like covers for me. There's just something about the feel of these two songs that just seems to grind raw emotion out of Pages axe.

Archived