Gibson Brands Forums

I am a Beatles fanatic; now I will list a few songs by them I DON'T like...

heymisterk

...and hope fellow fans will do the same.

To me, The Beatles will always be the best band ever, Alpha and Omega, lights out, the rest can pack 'em up and go home.

Still even they have some songs I don't like. For me, I avoid the following:

"Revolution 9" (the obvious choice; Lennon's biggest mistake, IHO)

"Hello, Goodbye" (Blecch...c'mon, Paul...)

"Baby You're a Rich Man" (Just plain don't like it.)

"Can't Buy Me Love" (Again, just don't dig it.)

I am obviously sticking to originals they wrote, but if you think they royally screwed up a good song written by someone else, by all means list it.

I have an odd perspective on the Beatles, especially thier early Pop stuff. My Mom and Dad never played Nursery Rhyme records or sang Itsy Bitsy Spider to us, they played Old Beatles, Doo Wop, and what was called "Oldies but Goodies" (Sea Cruise, Splish Splash, Chantilly Lace ect). So I can't really dislike any early Beatles, that would be like disliking Mother Goose or Uncle Remus.

As for Post 1966 Beatles, I tend to like their normal stuff. Abby Road and Sgt Peppers and the like.

Well as a Beatles Fanatic too....

Don't mind baby you're a rich man, actually like it.

Don't care for Sun King and, I want you (She's so heavy). Also some of the early Ringo and George stuff. Love everything else.

I can't say there's any Beatles song that I dislike except for the Ohhhohhh ahhh part at the s beginning of When I get Home and I'm just not overly fond of that but the rest of the song's O.K.Rev. No. 9 can hardly be called a song,I mostly regard it as an experiment in sounds,I do know one thing though,it's pretty hard to try and dance to.BTW Let It Be Naked is the only way that album should have been released as Phil Specter made it an over-produced self indulgent fiasco.

Don't get me started...

I hear that, but here I go anyway;

The covers they do of Chuck berry and any really are completely lackluster and don't make any sense to me. Why would you record and release a song that was nowhere near as good as the origional?

If you don't get why I would say that, listen to any beatle cover of Chuck Berry and the listen to the Beatles one.

I hear that, but here I go anyway;

The covers they do of Chuck berry and any really are completely lackluster and don't make any sense to me. Why would you record and release a song that was nowhere near as good as the origional?

If you don't get why I would say that, listen to any beatle cover of Chuck Berry and the listen to the Beatles one.

Interesting thoughts stiein. I think their versions of Rock And Roll Music and Twist and Shout blow away the originals.

George's cover Roll Over Beethoven is rather lame but it gave him a song on an album and when your doing 4 a year ya gotta have material.

McCartney tears it up on Little Richard's Long Tall Sally but in essence these were white British kids giving America back its music.

The sales generated by the Beatles versions were a nice financial gain for the originals

I love most Beatles songs. I don't own every album, so I'm sure there are some obscure songs that I might not like as much. Out of their well known songs, I think "Yesterday" is my least favorite. i know it's considered one of the most iconic songs and all that, but to me it sounds simple and amaturish compared to some of their other stuff. With all the easy rhyming... Day Play Way Me Be etc..

Ever notice that in all the video of The Beatles from live concerts, there is something missing? Something every band, every singer would take for granted today?

Monitor speakers! You try to play to a large crowd, live while they are shouting so loud you can't hear anything and do it without monitors, lets see how good you sound...Here are two clips of the same song from the same year...you will not see a monitor....they played with very crude and basic equipment...nothing like what we have today, or even a few years after they broke up. I think they did very well considering;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zH4WpCpAxY&feature=related

Ever notice that in all the video of The Beatles from live concerts, there is something missing? Something every band, every singer would take for granted today?

Monitor speakers! You try to play to a large crowd, live while they are shouting so loud you can't hear anything and do it without monitors, lets see how good you sound...Here are two clips of the same song from the same year...you will not see a monitor....they played with very crude and basic equipment...nothing like what we have today, or even a few years after they broke up. I think they did very well considering;

Beatles had a full blown monitor system when playing Shea Stadium

Beatles had a full blown monitor system when playing Shea Stadium

Yes they did. I also see that they had two mics on one stand on John's keyboard..but they didn't have monitors in many of the venues they played, even when they played Shea, you have to admit they had pretty crude equipment, one amp per player and their amps were mic'd into the stadium PA system, nothing like the walls of amps and stacked PA speakers that groups toured with just a few years later..

This is from 63' see any monitors? Two mics and three amps....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPJy05efcgE&feature=related

Archived