Gibson Brands Forums

weird music facts

Silenced Fred

Christian guitarist/artist/worship leader Lincoln Brewster hit the big time when he landed the job as the guitarist for Steve Perry.

He left all of that behind to become a worship leader; all for Christ.

he is really good and we do some of his stuff sometimes in our worship service

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man oh man ... Anyway,

Coors, right now we're lacking musicians to have a full band, but a while back we did "Everlasting God" by L.B. So, I had the duty of playing thate solo, so I practiced it and got it. Then, the guys decided the song on the cd was a bit too slow and wanted to speed it up.

Yeah, I was like, excuse me, that means I have to play the solo faster (which has a fast riff in it at regular speed) . Long story short, I think I drank a few caffeine sodas those nights and pulled it off. I can still feel it, ouch! [biggrin] Great stuff L.B. puts out.

British singer Kenny Lynch was the first artist to cover a Beatles' song when he recorded "Misery" in early 1963, which failed to chart. Kenny also fancied himself as a songwriter and during a tour with Helen Shapiro, offered to help John and Paul with the writing of "From Me To You". When the song didn't seem to be going anywhere, Kenny walked away, declaring "Well, that's it. I am not going to write any more of that bloody rubbish with those idiots. They don't know music from their backsides."

James Taylor was the first non British artist signed to the Apple label by the Beatles, Peter Asher introduced James to the Fab Four, Taylor recorded his first album at the Trident Studios while the Beatles were recording The White Album.

When Taylor recorded "Carolina in My Mind" Paul played the drums and Harrison played guitar.

At a party in Los Angeles, comedian Groucho Marx jokingly pointed his index fingers at Elton John, as if holding a pair of six-shooters. Elton threw up his hands and said, "Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player," which inspired the title of his 1973, US number one album. As a sly tribute to Groucho, the LP's cover included a movie poster for The Marx Brothers' movie Go West.

During his Presidential campaign in 2000, George W. Bush was asked by Oprah Winfrey what his favorite song was. He replied "Wake Up Little Susie by Buddy Holly."

Jim Sundquist and Phil Humphrey, who had a #5 Billboard hit in 1960 with a novelty tune called "Mule Skinner Blues", called themselves The Fendermen because they both played Fender guitars and connected them to the same amplifier.

Before joining KISS in 1982, Vinnie Vincent was a staff songwriter for the TV programs Happy Days and Joanie Loves Chachi.

The backup vocal group on Paul Simon’s "Slip Slidin’ Away" was The Oak Ridge Boys.

Santana's 1970, Billboard #4 hit, "Black Magic Woman" was written by Peter Green and first appeared as a Fleetwood Mac single that rose to #37 in the UK in 1969.

The first week of February is a bad time to be a rocker, all of these artists passed away on the first week of Feb.

1959 - Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper were killed in a plane crash.

1960 - 20 year old Jesse Belvin, who scored a hit with "Goodnight, My Love", died in an auto accident.

1967 - Joe Meek, producer of the Tornadoes hit, "Telstar" committed suicide.

1976 - Rudy Pompilli, sax player for Bill Haley's Comets, passed away.

1981 - Rock and Roll pioneer Bill Haley died of a heart attack at the age of 55.

1981 - Hugo Montenegro, who is best remembered for "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly", died of emphysema.

1983 - Karen Carpenter died of heart irregularities caused by anorexia nervosa.

1990 - Del Shannon died of a self-inflicted gun shot wound. (Feb 8)

1998 - 51 year old Carl Wilson, lead guitarist of The Beach Boys, died of lung cancer.

1998 - Falco, who had a hit with "Rock Me Amadeus," was killed in a traffic accident.

Sam Cooke was shot dead and found at the scene semi naked. He was shot dead after making 'advances' towards the hotel's manageress. It was ruled as self defence.

William Walton failed the composition module of his degree twice; yet is regarded as one of the 20th centuries most important composers!

Joseph Haydn said of pupil Beethoven he didn't think he would amount to much.

Rock guitarist Randy Rhoads considered himself not a very good lead guitarist initially, saying that he was more of a rhythm guitarist when asked.

My post count on this thread is 1966 the beginning year of a 5 year period that I think is the greatest time in popular music, 1966 -1971 msp_thumbup.gif

The worlds longest song is Triangle Solo by Random Hobo. It lasted 3 days.

so basically, a hobo played a triangle for 3 days non stop

Longest song perhaps but as a musical work the John Cale piece "As Slow As Possible" has it beaten by a mere 638 years 362 days...

This from the BBC site:

"The first notes in the longest and slowest piece of music in history, designed to go on for 639 years, are being played on a German church organ on Wednesday. The three notes, which will last for a year-and-a-half, are just the start of the piece, called As Slow As Possible.

Composed by late avant-garde composer John Cage, who died in 1992, the performance has already been going for 17 months - although all that has been heard so far is the sound of the organ's bellows being inflated."

John Cale also composed, memorably, the three movement work entitled 4' 33" during which not even one note is played.

Wacky Guy, Huh?

P

Longest song perhaps but as a musical work the John Cale piece "As Slow As Possible" has it beaten by a mere 638 years 362 days...

This from the BBC site:

"The first notes in the longest and slowest piece of music in history, designed to go on for 639 years, are being played on a German church organ on Wednesday. The three notes, which will last for a year-and-a-half, are just the start of the piece, called As Slow As Possible.

Composed by late avant-garde composer John Cage, who died in 1992, the performance has already been going for 17 months - although all that has been heard so far is the sound of the organ's bellows being inflated."

John Cale also composed, memorably, the three movement work entitled 4' 33" during which not even one note is played.

Wacky Guy, Huh?

P

LMAO...that is a long piece, cheers!

Matt

Les Pauls' name was taken off guitars in 1962 for two reasons. Les was going through a divorce and Gibson didn't want the bad press, and Les didn't want the royalties, as he would have to split them with Mary, his ex.

Taylor Hawkins, drummer for the Foo Fighters, was originally with Alanis Morrisette.

Founding and former Jane's Addition bassist Eric Avery played with Alanis too.

Hey, everyone has to pay rent. Beats being a desk jockey.

Guest FarnsBarns

Catgut strings are not made of Catgut.

D'Adario can trace their string making heritage back to Salle (where the string industry really started). The D'adario history goes back to the 13th century.

During his Presidential campaign in 2000, George W. Bush was asked by Oprah Winfrey what his favorite song was. He replied "Wake Up Little Susie by Buddy Holly."

Everly Brothers, Mr President, that was the Everly Brothers ](*,)

Why couldn't he just be honest and say "Yellow Rose of Texas".

The Firebird X can destroy a six-story building.

The finish on a Firebird X is applied by laying it on the floor and then flooding the paint room.

The official nickname ( by me ) for the Firebird X is " Firebird Why "................[flapper][scared] :unsure: [sneaky][flapper]eusa_clap.gif[lol] .....

Archived