Gibson Brands Forums

Finally one of my long lost demo's is mine once again

duane v

This is a demo that was done for Atlantic Records back in 1984.... I'm also getting the masters back for 53 songs that have been in state of lock down with an AR Rep for 20 plus years.

But back to more important things, this song was written while the singer and drummer were still in high school, Actually myself and the bass player were the only members of legal age (18), which caused tons of other legal issues when two minors within the band were signed to a management contract without consent.... Basically it was a mess.

anywhoo without further ado (the extended guitar solo version uncut) Endless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFE0NnACWY

very nice and it does kind of bring back the eighties vibe although i'm not sure if thats good or not really? The eighties were pretty bizarre MembersOnly jackets and the Miami Vice look and angel flight? or something similar pants were all the rage for guys and gotta remember big hair for the girls

A good / great guitar solo is a good / great guitar solo.........That one is sweet Duane..................

I've been recording a lot these days..........And I did back then as well.......What really struck me was, the recording style;

I can almost hear the recording equipment being used, and the recording levels, etc etc............wow.....hmmmmmmm.....

I am glad that you finally resolved those legal issues.........I'll bet it's a wonderful feeling....

That's a lot of music that can be re-released, reworked, etc etc...............

Thank you for posting Duane.....and good for you........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ......

Duane, I'm curious as to why they kept the rights to those songs. I have friends on the semi-national circuit and hear horror stories of bands being signed to labels that, for one reason or another, decide not to market the music, but refuse to release the band from the contract, thus retaining the rights to the music. I'm not talking about established nationals unhappy with the label, but semis trying to break into the national circuit. Just morbid curiosity, I suppose.

Also, great solo and tone!

Duane, I'm curious as to why they kept the rights to those songs. I have friends on the semi-national circuit and hear horror stories of bands being signed to labels that, for one reason or another, decide not to market the music, but refuse to release the band from the contract, thus retaining the rights to the music. I'm not talking about established nationals unhappy with the label, but semis trying to break into the national circuit. Just morbid curiosity, I suppose.

Also, great solo and tone!

Basically the singer was signed to one management company, and I was signed to another ESP Management and Scotti Bros. The Bass player was on all copyrights (that's just the way we worked). Somehow Atlantic Records was involved and asked for all masters that were available. Next thing we knew we were at Capitol and somehow Toshiba was involved... We were considered an experiment of sorts.... At the end of it all I just left the band and the whole music industry by 1988 and everything I had invested. It was the easiest way for me to leave without getting slammed with a breach of contract.

The whole band didn't speak to me for ages, and I really couldnt blame them at the time, because I left them hangin in a bad way.... I wish I had been stronger mentally at that time, but I was spiritually and mentally washed up at the age of 23.

Archived