Gibson Brands Forums

Rolling Stones all need to retire

swleary

I love The Rolling Stones, with the exception of Ronnie Wood.

I love Mick's voice and I love Keith's playing. And Charlie held it together.

Charlie Watt's had one of my favorite quotes ever:

"Being a Rolling Stone was great. It was one year of playing and 39 years of hanging around."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Mick's voice and I love Keith's playing. And Charlie held it together.

Charlie Watt's had one of my favorite quotes ever:

"Being a Rolling Stone was great. It was one year of playing and 39 years of hanging around."

Do you need a moment alone?lol

Took 3 pages for anybody to mention Ronnie and then it's this.

Ha, Ronnie has been carrying the Rolling Stones for a long time now, him and their bass player are the only working musicians in their line up.

I like what the Rolling Stones did and love Richards playing but it has been years since he sounded tight playing live.

Ron Wood is the unsung hero of the Stones IMO

His easy going, generous nature has probably held the band together in difficult times

And what a CV he has....early successful bands....

Working with Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck

Great guitarist and bass player

And a penchant for young Russian women

Quelle Dude....n'est ce pas?

V

:-({|=

Took 3 pages for anybody to mention Ronnie and then it's this.

Ha, Ronnie has been carrying the Rolling Stones for a long time now, him and their bass player are the only working musicians in their line up.

I like what the Rolling Stones did and love Richards playing but it has been years since he sounded tight playing live.

Hey, I am not saying you have to like him. Live and let live. But Ronnie carrying the Stones? Not bloody likely.

Hey, I am not saying you have to like him. Live and let live. But Ronnie carrying the Stones? Not bloody likely.

I actually said I like the Stones and I like them a lot and what they did years ago. I do think however they should retire by now.

Have you seen the Stones live lately? if Ron Wood is not playing the guitar who is then? sure as hell it ain't Richards.

He was so mad at that Scandinavian Newspaper that called him out. but hey they were right.

I hate to deviate from the "what substances are you using this weekend" direction this thread has taken, but to respond to the original comment of this thread:

No. The stones charge 5 large because they can, charity or not. If you are in your 70s and playing opening gigs for Rebbecca Black in Wyoming for gas money, than its time to think about hanging it up. If you can sell out Madison Square Garden in a few hours, than your probably doing okay, and you should play until your dying day.

People died from SARS in Canada? I'll bet more people die in Detroit after a Redwings loss. Maybe they just don't want to play another meaningless "benefit" concert.

the stones are/were so overated!, mick jagger can't sing to save his life and keith richards is a retarded moron who can barely put 3 chords together...talk about being in the right place at the right time [rolleyes]

both talentless hacks, as my old guitar teacher once said to me..."it's not what you know it's who you know" in the music biz [-(

Blasphemy!!!

I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but there are a lot of stories circulating here in the U.K that it is highly unlikely that the Stones will ever play together again because Mick is so hacked off about what Keef said about him in his autobiography (a very good read by the way).

It’s also rumoured that Jagger is forming his own “all star” band. I think we will have to wait and see.

Indecently Keef says in his book that he will never retire, he does it for the buzz, not the money (he’s probably got enough of that)

Ian.

RE: Ron Wood

A coworker of mine is a huge Stones fan and he continually gushes about the tasty interplay between Richards and Wood. I can hear it even if I haven't like anything the Stones have done in the last twenty years.

I think Wyman is a great bassist, and has a great and individual style that is a staple of the Stones. Which bass lines do you refer to as your favorites?

I had to go back and dig up the few Stones tracks I have to get some Wyman stuff. I honestly was not just talking out my ***, just not a big Stones fan so it is jogging my memory a good fifteen years. Then I remembered the breeziness of Under My Thumb. You can hear Wyman trying to lay back against Watts rushing. Street Fighting Man is pretty cool too.

As for Mr. Watts rushing the beat: no disrepect, but you might study Jazz rhythm and blues rhythm. His playing actually involves a lot of great shuffle, and if you break it down, you will find that it is KEEF who is many times playing with the rhythm against Watts.

You cannot compare blues and jazz drumming. It is apples and oranges. As you know, in blues and rock the drums are the meter. In jazz, drums are color and the bass is the meter. Watts wants to be a jazz guy. Fine. Just don't expect me to like it in the Stones.

IMO I think the Stones need to retire and stop being so greedy. Let me explain that one.

Mick Jaggar wanted $5 000 000 to do a benefit concert in Toronto ,Ontario, Canada because of people that died from an outbreak of Sars. Mich would not got on stage for a penny less. That's just greed because , hello..it's a benefit ...geez

What did look good on the Stones was AC/DC stole the show lmao

Apparently you do not know how charity events work do you? First off, the orginizers find a celebrity comic or musical group or talent of some kind to draw the people in for the big show. The celebrities get paid, the orginizers get paid, the mafia gets paid and then whatever else is left (usually from donations) is there for the actual charity.

All these big celebrities including bob hope would not show up until they were paid handsomely, whether you made good money for charity was not their concern. You would be shocked to learn how little of the profits of those events actually goes to charities they were intended for.

The Jimmy fund in Boston is widely suspected of giving extortion money to the mob.

... The stones charge 5 large because they can, charity or not... If you can sell out Madison Square Garden in a few hours, than your probably doing okay, and you should play until your dying day... People died from SARS in Canada? I'll bet more people die in Detroit after a Redwings loss. Maybe they just don't want to play another meaningless "benefit" concert.

+1 LOL! Great post!

The Stones are one of the most significant rock bands out of the '60/'70s, like 'em or not.

People died from SARS in Canada? I'll bet more people die in Detroit after a Redwings loss. Maybe they just don't want to play another meaningless "benefit" concert.

I hope I'm not taking this out of context but how is death meaningless? Mick Jaggar will always be a greedy sob IMO. Could have taken one or two million but his exact words were "I won't take anything less than 5 million". That's pure greed. Get over yourself Mick lol

Archived