Gibson Brands Forums

Which browser do you use?

LarryUK

I've got a Dell laptop and I've always used IE. I've recently upped it to IE8 and find it 'buggy'.

So, my son told me to use Google Chrome. What a difference! So quick! Is anything better?

Is there anything else I can do to speed up my laptop?

I do all the normal stuff, disc cleanup etc.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always used IE, and I have finally got used to the new version (IE9). I have tried Firefox, but it has some annoying features such as the download manager, so I will stick with IE.

Google's chrome is said to be quite fast, but it has had some security issues compared to Firefox and IE. I believe, however, that most of these problems have been solved in the newest version.

Chrome, it's the lightest weight browser I can find (probably is some open source project out there that beats it). It has everything I need, space for tabs, and some saved link space. Makes IE look like a drunken turtle.

Opera actually runs flash graphics quite well in my experience. But still chrome wins.

I use IE, Firefox or Chrome depending on what mood I'm in. Hell, sometimes I use AOL browser just for the heck of it.

Firefox is good, but it seems to take a long time to open. Chrome is fast, but is maybe a little too "lite" for me. For example, unless I'm missing something, there is no way to pull down your history in the address bar :-k

IE is the only browser that I ever have issues like "Not Responding" with. And that damn dumprep and ccSVChst! Something always mkes them start to hog my processor when using IE [cursing] I've noticed I have way less problems with dumprep since I changed the setting to not report errors though.

Firefox is good, but it seems to take a long time to open. Chrome is fast, but is maybe a little too "lite" for me. For example, unless I'm missing something, there is no way to pull down your history in the address bar :-k

I'm not sure if I'm answering right, but the wrench in the top right corner'll bring you to your history. Also you can right click on the back arrow for your most recent pages.

I've been using Chrome today. I've put another bar with all my favourites on. It's easy. I found that IE9 moved the favourites to the right side of the page. The only way to get it back is to lock it open. Losing a bit of page. I'm happy with Chrome. I'll try Firefox though. I've downloaded it.

I use them all - Firefox, IE8/9, Chrome, and Safari for Windows. Firefox is the primary although there are a number of websites that don't run properly on it (Citi Bank for example). Chrome is fast, but I don't like the fact that it collects information for Google with no way to turn all of the snooper stuff off. IE is just slow. Safari is kind of interesting, but since I'm not really a big Mac/Apple user the form looks too different for me.

For everyday surfing/working on the web I use Chrome. It is the fastest browser I have found. However there are a few web sites that don't like Chrome.

Whenever I build a web site I use Firefox because it will show W3C errors and/or warnings in the code. Then I double check the web pages in both Explorer and Chrome.

I don't use MSIE because it is the big target of most malware hackers. That makes it riskier than the others.

I don't use Chrome because Google is the king of on-line advertising and they already have enough personal information about me (I wouldn't mind them selling my info if they would give me a cut of the profits though).

I tried Opera but didn't like it.

I use FireFox because it works well, is more secure than MSIE, and is not connected with an on-line advertising company.

I actually liked FF3 better than FF4, but I keep up with the updates because many of them are security fixes.

Notes ♫

Is there anything else I can do to speed up my laptop?

I do all the normal stuff, disc cleanup etc.

Memory is the quickest and easiest upgrade to do - specifically RAM type memory.

Check out the Crucial Memory link to see if you are able to buy and install new memory (and what type you need). Their scanner tool is easy and safe.

Archived