Gibson Brands Forums

Musician

Flight959

At what point is a guitar player considered a musician..?

I play a little acoustic and a bit more electric but I wouldnt consider myself a musician just a weekend warrior!!

Do you consider yourself a musician??

Regards

Flight959 [thumbup]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I am a musician. I play music. You're a musician too.

Certain axe-grinders (who will remain nameless) like to "redefine" words so they can make a point or a statement or b*tch about the people who have screwed them over or certain people they dislike so they can de-legitimize them. Others without confidence in themselves like to make sure they don't seem too pompous. Don't worry, nobody will think less of you if you call yourself a musician.

I think the difference between a musician and someone who is an instrumentalist, is that a musician thinks about the music as a whole - and not just from his/her instruments point of view. A musician can be a complete beginner to music, but his/her attitude more than anything defines them as a musician. It is about musically considering the other instruments (and people you are playing with)

I know loosely speaking anyone who plays an instrument, is a musician, but in the true sense IMHO it means serving music and in this case, not just serving the guitar.

Matt

Words actually come with definitions already guys. They're handy too! [thumbup]

mu·si·cian   /myuˈzɪʃən/ Show Spelled

[myoo-zish-uhn] Show IPA

noun

1. a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.

2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

This one has been run more than once.

I'm with Searcy this time out.

Words actually come with definitions already guys. They're handy too! [thumbup]

mu·si·cian   /myuˈzɪʃən/ Show Spelled

[myoo-zish-uhn] Show IPA

–noun

1. a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.

2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

I'm a musician......I was born holding a pick, demanded my first drink, fired the doc, hired a pharmacist,

grabbed the nurses, and left the building........Couple years later, I discovered guitar.......

I really love Cookie and Damian et al; but to me saying someone is automatically a musician, because they play an instrument, is like saying someone who attends church is automatically compassionate because they own a bible. Sure the two are related (and one hopes that encourages the other) but in my opinion, one doesn't automatically create the other. It is an awareness of outside 'the self' that is necessary for being a musician and also being compassionate.

Matt

if you play a musical instrument your a musician that includes guitar

I agree that you are indeed a musician in a general sense if you play any instrument.

Matt

p.s Fred used the Jean Luc Picard picture to say 'not this again', but if it makes people argue their points and gets the old grey matter questioning the why's and where's of others' arguments, then it all adds extra fun in my opinion to an interesting topic. [thumbup]

I agree that you are indeed a musician in a general sense if you play any instrument.

Matt

p.s Fred used the Jean Luc Picard picture to say 'not this again', but if it makes people argue their points and gets the old grey matter questioning the why's and where's of others' arguments, then it all adds extra fun in my opinion to an interesting topic. [thumbup]

Thanks ***lord!! [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

Archived