Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall solid state?

LarryUK

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall S/S amps are much more tubelike in tone than a lot of their competitors yet they still sound somewhat clinical and too clean to be confused with tube amps.The Marshall Valvestate and modelling amps are closer to being tubelike in tone as they have a 12AX7 driving the preamp and that gives more of a tube warmth to the overall tone.

Some of the more expensive SS Marshalls, have some pretty good dirt tones....That's one thing I do like about some SS amps, but every SS Marshall I've played the clean's were just..yuck..But all in all I don't think there bad amps at all when it comes to playing with some dirt. But then there's others that sounds extremely fizzy and muddy, so its in the luck of the draw...

They aren't so bad. The higher-end, larger ones sound really pretty good for what they are--I'm talking the 50W and 100W ones. The lower-wattage ones sound good too, but once you hit the 10W one at the bottom of the line, they're really just slightly-better-than-average practice amps. The lower wattage ones are a little fizzy as far as distortion, but the cleans are not so awful, although I'll admit that they are somewhat sterile.

I have the MG10KK (the Kerry King signature) and, frankly, it's just "OK." The cleans sound pretty good and can get reasonably thick, but the distortion is extremely fizzy and the bottom end just isn't there at "bedroom levels," although I suppose that's to be expected. I can't comment on how they take pedals, unfortunately. But really, for how cheap the current line of Marshall SS amp are, you could do a lot worse.

I just threw up in mouth, twice.

Any amp you have to doctor the cleans with all of that digital chorus, and digital delay, and digital reverb are not worth it. Would like to see this guy plug his Les Paul directly in and see what he gets without doctoring the sound.

This one kid I know has the MG100 Half stack, made fun of my Sunn for being "small"...

IMO, they are some of the worst. For solid state, check out the Fender solid states, the 100watt one isn't that bad as cheap solid states, but my guess would be for the price, you could get a decent tube amp. He dropped like 800 on his for the head and cab, mine was 400 used

go figure

I've yet to see a solid state amp that gave me a convincing replication of tube tone. The Marshall ss amps might have a better dirty sound than most ss amps, but they have horrible clean sounds. Most solid state amps have a fizzy distortion and they're cleans usually decent, except that they usually don't do well when the volume turned up high at all. At least with tubes there is a point where it starts to sound warmer at higher volume.

I was a solid state guy for years and once I got my hands on a tube amp, there's no turning back now. Even the digital modeling amps, they're close, but not close enough.

I have the hybrid Line 6 with the Bogner tube design (MK112). It's perfect for home and church since it is miced. Super loud, volume set no more than 2 otherwise the house shakes and the neighbors might hear it. The SS I had before lacked balls no matter how I set it. Sold it.

I have this little tiny old solid state amp that I ******* love. Crank up the volume all the way and it gets a pretty cool, unique crunch. I definately plan on using it for some recording.

It lacks the depth of my ac30 though. It only has like a 5" speaker.

Kustom makes some sweet SS amps.

I'm with EVOL though. That Marshall is snasty.

my son and I have always sworn by 'tube' amps....but he fell in love with a vintage Randall 150W head (Laney 4x10 cabinet) last Saturday at a second-hand store and bought the set for $375. Clean is not quite 'clean'...but everything else sounds great. Need to reconsider my opinion of solid state amps...

I owned a Marshall valvestate 20...terrible amp.

I currently own a Bogner Alchemist 1x12...excellent amp.

Last year I lucked into an '82 Traynor TS-15 S/S amp that Pete Traynor spent 6 years developing.He wanted an amp that was S/S but performedd just like a tube amp.The TS series delivered the desired result in spades.Instead of a master volume it has a 3 position rocker switch that changes the wattage form 5-10-15 with incredibly tubelike overdrive.It's a pity that these amps didn't catch on as Traynor was really onto something with these amps.If you ever come across one,pick it up,you won't be disappointed.

So except for the few comments against the Marshall in this post it appears that SS amps have a few followers here. It just goes to prove that different amps fill different needs. I am surprised that no one has mentioned that Dime played a SS amp most of the time.

I found this quote on Guitar player under his equipment

RandallWarhead.jpg

Solid State is like active pickups. Great if you wanna play really clean or really dirty, but other than that, they kind of suck.

And its hard to find really good solid state amps because for high end stuff, everyone goes tube

just sayin

Archived