Gibson Brands Forums

calling all gecko bursts! My peoples where you at?

justbass4

hello. I want to hear from people who actually own these. It's my dream guitar. that's right: I said it. the much disparaged gecko burst. I want one. where can I get one? Are there any old stocks still unsold in a warehouse or

in the back of a music store or perhaps hanging on a wall somewhere?

Oh well, I'd like to at least hear from those of you who own one, what you think about it. Especially those of you who have more than one lp and can compare the two ( a "normal" les paul vrs a gecko burst ).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw one on (L.A. or San Diego California) Craig's list a while ago' date=' if I'm not mistaken. It was pretty cheap too. Don't believe the hype; if it's your "dream guitar", follow that dream.[/quote']

absolutely. i was just messin about the finish. if its what you want, by all means go get it!

I think the gecko bursts are actually pretty cool in a funky kind of way. Okay' date=' you can pretend you're Jimmy Page while standing in front of a mirror with an R9 strapped on but you'll stand out from the crowd with a gecko.[/quote']

lol you make a very valid point. touche, sir.

here's the thing and I've said this before but, to me the gecko burst isn't really a loud finish. I think people see it and they think that it's for gauddy hair band types but to me it has a laid back finish. It's pastel-esque. it actually reminds me of carribean or Island fashion in general: yes it's loud but it's also laid back, like a parrot shirt--it says I'm here to chill out. honestly. It will be mine. it will.

Oh well' date=' I'd like to at least hear from those of you who own one, what you think about it. Especially those of you who have more than one lp and can compare the two ( a "normal" les paul vrs a gecko burst ).[/quote']

It's just a Standard, isn't it? So, why don't you ask ALL Standard owners how their Standard compares to others?

The colour won't make the guitar any better sounding than the next Standard.

I wouldn't buy one unless the price was right, real right!...but I do like them.

The good news for you is that they are generally not liked and might cost less than a Standard with a different colour.

honestly. It will be mine. it will.

justbass4' date=' that's sweet. Personally I don't love the gecko burst but I know what you mean about the "I'm here to chill" look it gives. If it's your dream guitar, THEN GO OUT AND GET IT! At the same time, don't be completely unwilling to compensate. I had always wanted a LP standard in Honey Burst and ended up getting an Ebony instead (see the "I Finally have a real Les Paul!" thread for details..."

It's just a Standard' date=' isn't it? So, why don't you ask ALL Standard owners how their Standard compares to others?[/quote']

Very true. go out and play as many standards as you can find to make sure you love every aspect of the guitar before you set about trying to find one in gecko burst. who knows, you might find a new one still sitting somewhere only to discover it plays like crap. My advice: if you can't find one, buy something in your 2nd favourite colour. (that's what I did.) you'll still love it, I can guarantee that.

• 5 months later...

Hey, if you really like the look of the Geckoburst then go get one!

I'm sure they can be just as good as any other LP anyhow.

IMG_1739.jpg

Oh My Lord!!! - retrosurfer1959 - I sincerely hope my 4 year-old daughter never ever sees this snap; she might get her fibre-tip pens out.........

Bad Post! BAD POST!!!!...........................

Archived