Gibson Brands Forums

Whos got the best tone and why?

cam011235

It's Larry LaLonde for me. He's got such a unique and interesting tone, and it really complements the rest of the band.

It's true that the fingers are part of the equation, but he couldn't get that tone without a few certain pieces of gear, mostly the Big Muff. Yeah, he could use any amp (he still sounds best through JCM 800s though) and any guitar (now, this really is true--he can get the same great tone from Strats, from Les Pauls, from PRS Double Cuts etc.,) because a Muff-style fuzz is the biggest part of his tone, but he couldn't get that tone without a Muff.

EDIT: I got rid of the political stuff.

just play the game man! :rolleyes:

Fair enough,

My favorite tone overall comes from Tony Iommi, initially a Gibson SG through a Laney amp.

I like that Tony has used a great palate of tones and sounds over the years and they all sound good not to mention his endless riff creativity.

WARREN HAYNES

It usually sounds so smooth, so deliciously creamy and warm. Even when he's blazing in the higher notes.

Allman Bros., Govt. Mule, Warren Haynes Band. Check out some of his stuff.

And in concert - he's the best I've ever seen.

I can not say anyone has the best tone to my ears.

For me it would range from Adam Jones of Tool, Billy Corgan, Mark Tremonti, Jimi Hendrix.....it all depends on the Genre.

They all have different things I like about their tones but never anything as a whole.

I can not say anyone has the best tone to my ears.

For me it would range from Adam Jones of Tool, Billy Corgan, Mark Tremonti, Jimi Hendrix.....it all depends on the Genre.

They all have different things I like about their tones but never anything as a whole.

yeah i like adam jones tone to hes using a SH-2 jb PUP on the bridge pup and combination of 70s JMP marshall superbass and diezel 4 stacks..he also says his 79 and 81 silverburst customs have their own tone that he likes but he always changes the pups to SH-4 and SH-2

All kidding aside, I think personally that "tone" has more to do with a specific concept for a specific piece.

Frankly I think one weakness to "band" guys is that there's often a tendency always to sound pretty much the same on everything. "Studio" guys, or people playing a wide range of styles, tend to figure out how to get different sorts of tone for different sorts of music.

So... my thought would be that it's more a matter of whether a sound from a guitar "fits" an overall arrangement or not. Unfortunately one often doesn't have the slightest idea about the potential a certain talented and skilled guitarist might have if he/she were put into another genre or were playing with another band. The "tone" might be quite different.

Even a classical guitar offers a wide range of tones depending on one's technique; the exceptional guitarist will match that tone and technique to the arrangement.

m

All kidding aside, I think personally that "tone" has more to do with a specific concept for a specific piece.

Frankly I think one weakness to "band" guys is that there's often a tendency always to sound pretty much the same on everything. "Studio" guys, or people playing a wide range of styles, tend to figure out how to get different sorts of tone for different sorts of music.

m

yeah absolutely the tone can change what you play so much..and your playing can affect the tone..a perfect example is the gary moore video posted first on this thread his dynamics are remarkable extracting so many tones from different playing styles also evoking great range of feeling to..

i have found since focusing on recording just how much more important the tone is..and how much is involved in getting it right how the playing style can affect the tone..it becomes much more of an issue and it seems a lot more premeditated, though a session player would know a lot more on this..i try to keep spontaneity but generally find it needs to be thought out when layering tracks

with bands it was usually an issue of getting enough cut and volume when soloing to get above the plethora of mids being pumped out..

getting quality tone can be such an involved process the level of skill and understanding from sound engineers and experienced players is significant...when you hear that high quality tone some have it is amazing

tone can totally change how you go about your playing..and your playing can totally change that tone to..some one said it earlier its in the fingers..a classical player would be taught a variety of methods to affect the tone and feeling..jazz blues rock metal all has differing techniques to extract the dynamic range of sounds

it is amazing how different one instrument can sound in different contexts

having the right rig and understanding it also.. to me is very important

Archived