Gibson Brands Forums

Walk the walk and talk the talk...

Flight959

Has anybody here done musical collaborations over the internet/email? Some years ago a guy named "realdrummer" had a number of tracks of a real drummer that you could then import to your home studio, edit, and lay down some stuff on top of. An example of that collaboration is "Track 4" on my soundcloud page: soundcloud.com/dccougar. Threw a few instruments into that mix...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anybody here done musical collaborations over the internet/email? Some years ago a guy named "realdrummer" had a number of tracks of a real drummer that you could then import to your home studio, edit, and lay down some stuff on top of. An example of such a collaboration is "Track 4" on my soundcloud page: soundcloud.com/dccougar. Maybe kind of busy, but hey, it was fun.

About 4 years ago a bunch of guy's & Gal's & I from a My-Space group we had did a compilation where we all covered some one else's original song in the group. I did one from one of the other member's but no one did one of mine, I have to admit that was when I first started doing internet up-loads and stuff, I only had one very old recording from my youth that was on My-Space/Youtube at that time so that maybe why.

I am almost embarrassed to post this as I do not gig or anything.

I use to play a lot when I was in high school, and then after I got married I sold off all of my equipment by '86.

I just got back into playing again May of 2012 when I got my SG.

I just noodle in my living room and out on my porch only.

Anyways, this tune came to me one day for some reason, so I have been working on the chords, and later on will add a second track over the rhythm.

I am using my new PRS 408 MT into a Blackstar HT5R-H head into an Orange cab with a Celestion Vintage 30.

Recorded this with my Zoom R24, and I am still getting use to it, I had the final mix down volume to low.

The unit has drums built into which is pretty cool, and I had it set to default, 120 BPM.

Anyways, I hope to do more with this song below, this is just a rough track.

@ DCCougar

Track 4 seems like something I'd be hearing on the easy listening station or at a fancy bar done by a small band. I really like that all the instruments mix well together.

Did the guitar..I mean was it a guitar or was it the guitar in the keyboard. It sounded almost synthetic? Very cool relaxing easy listening stuff. I liked it alot. I bet you could make cash off stuff like that...elevator music stuff, in a good way!

@ Corey

The song itself...more like a jam sesion captured, was fun. I like the WHAAAAAAAA thing you do with the guitar, not a wha peddal...you know what I mean. The rythmness of it makes me think of 80s rock! Tired and true rythm. Kept expecting a lead to bust in...do it man!

As for the recording itself, I do suggest you compress it a bit or something to make it stand out more, make it louder. I am not familiar with the methods you're using to record, but once you've got it in the computer you can do that stuff easy with a DAW.

@ badblues

Dude, what the fk are you doing not in Vegas! You'd be an awesome Vegas performer. You have a great voice and charisma. I'd be happy to listen to you between going broke at the poker table.

@ sellen

you made a really hard core cover...or was it your voice? you make it sound more rock than the original. the enthusiasm is what did it, I think. the guitar is dead on but the singing stands out.

@ childhood entertainer

where were the rockers when I was in middle school?! this is so unfair. <_<

very cohesive, ya'll. no hickups, well done.....how long ya'll practice that song?

Thanks Izzy.

Here is the R24 I used.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/r24

item_feature_18_2411.jpg

24 track recorder with two built in mics, and several drum kits.

I used a Shure Beta 57 mic though instead of the built in mics.

It came with Cubase to load on the PC, and the software can control the R24 when hooked to a PC via its USB cable, or you can control the software via the R24 too.

Runs on 110v, 6 AA batteries, or USB power which makes it perfect if going to a jam session.

I had the red master slider down to far for the final mix, and if I try the recording again this coming Saturday and make a new one.

That should make it much louder during playback.

What is cool is I can add as many tracks I want, so if I had a bass guitar, or want to put in a melody on top of the rhythm I can.

I run a pair of Rokit 5 G2 monitors plugged into the rear of the unit so I can hear the drums and jam along with it.

Ohhhh, I have heard your tunes too, and you play well and have a great voice!

PS, you can also plug a bass or guitar directly into the unit and use built in modeling.

Have not tried that yet.

The DSP effects, which include 150 types and 390 patches, can be used for recording, mixing and mastering. Three types of effectsーーhe insert effect and the two send-return effectsーーan all be used at the same time. You can achieve a powerful amp sound just by connecting a guitar or bass directly to the R24 and using one of the 18 types of guitar amp models or 6 types of bass amp models that have been brought straight from our best-selling G2nu effects unit. You can also use the 8xCOMP EQ effect, which lets you apply compression and EQ to eight channels simultaneously.

Experimenting today with ampsettings and the maestro vibrola on the gibson sg original.

Cranking the clean channel on the marshall jcm 2000 401 combo+clean boost, to get a nasty AC-DC sound. Might have overdone it [biggrin] . And trying to use the maestro vibrola on the sg to get those Angus bending vibrato. Cheating i know, and it kinda did't sound right but the Maestro vibrola is pretty cool to use, and my stays in tune perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs7W9v_SQzM

Track 4 seems like something I'd be hearing on the easy listening station or at a fancy bar done by a small band. I really like that all the instruments mix well together.

Did the guitar..I mean was it a guitar or was it the guitar in the keyboard. It sounded almost synthetic? Very cool relaxing easy listening stuff. I liked it alot. I bet you could make cash off stuff like that...elevator music stuff, in a good way!

Thanks for listening, and your comments, Izz. Yeah, the guitar was an SY77, which I've since traded in on a Motif XS. So all instrumental - check. No dissonance - check. I guess that's easy listening. Still, I'd say it's a bit toward the hard side of easy listening. O:)

Cranking the clean channel on the marshall jcm 2000 401 combo+clean boost, to get a nasty AC-DC sound.

That's a great sound.

I should probably start a new thread on this, but what program do you use to make your videos? That's something I haven't looked into at all....

That's a great sound.

I should probably start a new thread on this, but what program do you use to make your videos? That's something I haven't looked into at all....

Thanx Cougar

I use Windows moviemaker, it was standard in the pc . Import media to Moviemaker, and drag it down to the timeline. Very easy, when you done it a couple of times. Fun thing to do, when you have nothin' better to do.

Give it a try [thumbup]

Experimenting today with ampsettings and the maestro vibrola on the gibson sg original.

Cranking the clean channel on the marshall jcm 2000 401 combo+clean boost, to get a nasty AC-DC sound. Might have overdone it [biggrin] . And trying to use the maestro vibrola on the sg to get those Angus bending vibrato. Cheating i know, and it kinda did't sound right but the Maestro vibrola is pretty cool to use, and my stays in tune perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs7W9v_SQzM

Is that you singing as well?

I am new to this recorder and thought I'd give it a shot. I mixed all the instruments on each track and this is how it came out. Guitars used - Takamine acoustic/electric, Fender American Lonestar Strat, Gibson SG raw power, Yamaha bass and a boss dr5 drum machine. Sorry if it's unbearable.

I am new to this recorder and thought I'd give it a shot. I mixed all the instruments on each track and this is how it came out.

For starters, the sound of the guitars are good but BUT the drums seem off-time...or is it the guitars. Somethign sounds off-timed.

For starters, the sound of the guitars are good but BUT the drums seem off-time...or is it the guitars. Somethign sounds off-timed.

Unfortunately, I just cannot get the dr5 drum machine to get to the proper tempo. It's got small pads and are just very hard to use. [confused]

Thanks for the input.

Erwin

Archived