Gibson Brands Forums

Critique this Picture

bluesguitar65

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your wife knows how to take a picture. A very good photo indeed. Nicely framed.

And your, laid-back look, while playing, gives the whole pic a sense of serenity and calmness. The b/w adds to all this.

Very, very cool.

And nice guitars and gear too!

Your wife knows how to take a picture. A very good photo indeed. Nicely framed.

And your, laid-back look, while playing, gives the whole pic a sense of serenity and calmness. The b/w adds to all this.

Very, very cool.

And nice guitars and gear too!

Thanks! I didn't even know my even know my Wife took the picture. She surprised me after dinner. Thinking of having it blown up and framing it.

Nice shot, good overall feel, about it.

If you frame it, I would (only suggest) crop it, for mostly you, and

the related musical equipment, without all the extra room "props."

Say, at the bookself edge, on the left side, and the outer edge of

the small floor amp, that way keeping some of the window, and "atmosphere"

feeling. But, it's ONLY a suggestion...

As Robert Capa, a famous photojournalist once said: "If you think you're

close enough (to the subject/action), get closer!" ;>)

Something like this, maybe?

pb0901902.jpg

CB

Nice shot, good overall feel, about it.

If you frame it, I would (only suggest) crop it, for mostly you, and

the related musical equipment, without all the extra room "props."

Say, at the bookself edge, on the left side, and the outer edge of

the small floor amp, that way keeping some of the window, and "atmosphere"

feeling. But, it's ONLY a suggestion...

As Robert Capa, a famous photojournalist once said: "If you think you're

close enough (to the subject/action), get closer!" ;>)

CB

Thanks CB for the tips,

I know I'm the only one who thinks this but I much prefer the shot as originally framed and would certainly not crop it. I'll explain why;

Once cropped the shot becomes merely a nice study of someone playing a guitar.

The shot as originally framed, however, tells a more complete story; and the air of serenity mentioned by brad1 comes, partly, through being able to understand the player in relation to his surroundings. There is much more interest in the peripheral detail and all of this makes the picture (IMHO, of course) fascinating. We can discover much more about the subject and his life through absorbing all these details. There is much more to see and the viewer can find out more about the subject each time the picture is studied.

As well as all that I find the original shot far more aesthetically pleasing.

It's a very fine photograph.

P.

I know I'm the only one who thinks this but I much prefer the shot as originally framed and would certainly not crop it. I'll explain why;

The shot as originally framed, however, tells a more complete story; and the air of serenity mentioned by brad1 comes, partly, through being able to understand the player in relation to his surroundings. There is much more interest in the peripheral detail and all of this makes the picture (IMHO, of course) fascinating. We can discover much more about the subject and his life through absorbing all these details. There is much more to see and the viewer can find out more about the subject each time the picture is studied.

P.

+1 for me, I prefer the original one, because of the light that give some spiritual thing to that scene.

Guest Farnsburger

CB is spot on, by cropping it has nicely implied some thirds (horizontal neck vs strap on the other guitar on the floor) the subject is better framed in that aspect ratio too. Nice subtle photoshop work! A very nice picture!

P.

Exactly!

I'm happy you noticed my post. Because as I stated, I too think it is nicely framed in the original photo.

For me, the original is much better. And for all the reasons stated above.

CB is spot on, by cropping it has nicely implied some thirds (horizontal neck vs strap on the other guitar on the floor) the subject is better framed in that aspect ratio too. Nice subtle photoshop work! A very nice picture!

Farns; I would agree with what you say if the intention was solely to show a portrait of Bluesguitar65. As an overall photograph, however, it lacks much in the way of interest..........no offence intended, BG65! But each to their own, of course!

[smile]

P.

Archived