Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD

chipwich

I had been lurking here for a while... not that I didn't want a Sherry2, but didn't want to yet again argue my case before the finance manager. She's getting very axe wise these days. "You didn't have a Fender Strat dear. What happened to the G&L Legacy?" Fogettabout a blinged-out semi hollow body. Anyway, when this one came up on ebay, any hope of resistance was futile. What we have here is a pretty flawless, well sorted out 2008 Sheraton II, in which the previous owner installed some pretty righteous pickups. A Classic '57 at the bridge and some sort of wonderful hand wound dude in the neck. Basically a nice tablespoon of warm butter. What a simply awesome playing guitar these Sheratons are.

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1450.JPG

You better hide that guit quick. Send it to me for safe keeping. [thumbup]

Beautiful Sheri. I just bought one a few weeks ago, Korean beauty with Dream 180's and a Bigsby. I love the bling because it's not gaudy, just classy.

ENJOY.......You can come over and play yours anytime.

p1010006fs.jpg

Wrap them in Christmas paper...........Decide either to give them to her, and then borrow them....Or,

mark one as a gift to you from your brother, and one as a gift to you from dear 'ol mom and dad.......

Very nice! Congrats!

My advice is to buy a bunch of beater guitars for super cheap, disassemble most of them and leave the parts laying around to the point where she cant tell how many gits you actually have or what they are. Then sneak in a new guitar every once in awhile. [biggrin]

Very nice! Congrats!

My advice is to buy a bunch of beater guitars for super cheap, disassemble most of them and leave the parts laying around to the point where she cant tell how many gits you actually have or what they are. Then sneak in a new guitar every once in awhile. [biggrin]

LOL! Good one. I suppose that along those lines the Pawn Shop series from Fender might confuse her as well.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Great humorous article, although in the defense of deceptive fund allocation, I think that some of us are subject to other "socially acceptable" forms of this practice without realizing it, like that monthly trip to the hair dresser, which costs as much an Epi LP. Or that seemingly bottomless pit of shoes on her side of the closet. I don't venture over there much, but maybe I should start counting shoe boxes. [mellow]

Beautiful guitar! I think it would look even better with some new knobs, but that is a subjective thing.

Regarding the shoes, my strategy is to compliment her on them. "You look really hot in those boots! [which she did] Are they new?" I think it is a much better approach than, "Another new pair of shoes? How many dang pairs do you need?"

Same goes for the trips to get her hair done. Most of us guys would rather not draw attention to our latest purchase, but I think our wives want to be noticed and appreciated.

Congrats-she's a beauty.Some day I'll have my own one of these beauties.When I was living at home I'd hide any new guitars I bought at my buddy's house,he didn't mind because he gott to play some cool guitars.Gradually I'd sneak them in the house.The secret is to have so many that the Missus can't tell one from the other.

Absolute beauty. I was playing my sheraton ii the other day and came to the realization I probably won't ever buy another humbucking guitar, because I've found the one for me.

As for your better half, don't bring up the shoes or hairdressings. compliment her, don't be hypocritical if she buys stuff, and keep all things in moderation. Don't go crazy, and if you do, show her the gibson version of whatever epi you bought and the diff in price.

and whatever you do, if she's mad at you, don't tell her a bunch of random dudes on the epi forum convinced you it was a good idea!

So here's the scene last night...

It's about 11:56PM, and about an hour past my wife's bedtime. I'm downstairs in my study, happily noodling along. I'm plugged into a PODHD, which is connected via USB to my iMac. My headphones are plugged into the POD, and I'm using the POD as the sound input/output device on my iMac. That way I've got Spotify up and I'm running through my playlist called "What I'm playing". On the POD, I've got the Bassman model loaded and have added about 30% spring reverb, which sounds amazing. I've been through the Eric and BB version of "3 O'Clock Blues", then BB's "Sweet Sixteen", then hit a Freddie King version of "Ain't Nobody's Business". There is no way that I'm keeping up with Freddie, but the Sherry sounds so good, that in my fantasy world which is being augmented by a 3rd adult beverage (Full Sail IPA), that I am motivated to play rhythm for him and embellish it a bit, hoping that Freddie won't mind. Basically, I am in heaven.

Through the HD280s, I think that I hear a very faint bump, or was I just imagining that. Self preservation instinct takes over, and I lift an earpiece. Sh.... That is her coming down the stairs! I frantically hang the Sherry on the wall, grab my well worn and now somewhat neglected Strat, and almost get my headphones back on straight. She is now standing at the door, asking me when am I coming to bed, and reminding me to be careful about ruining my hearing (love her for that). I am sweating bullets hoping that her gaze won't move to were the Epi is hanging. It doesn't, but she does stare inquisitively at the big black open case on the floor that is labeled Epiphone. She looks at that a very long time but doesn't say anything. Finally, she says good night, turns, and I take a big breath.

I wait a bit until I hear her foot steps overhead reach the bed, and then a little while longer before laying down the Strat and plugging in the Sheraton. Time for a change. On the POD I load another patch with a bunch of delay, then look for the U2 Playlist. The playing leaves a lot to be desired, but I get through "Pride" and "Sunday Bloody..." simply loving the tone. Lastly, go back to a clean sound and try little finger picking on Green Day's "Wake me up when...". Looking at the clock, it's going to be another sleepy day at work tomorrow, but I am amazed at the versatility of this new axe.

Later... it's Friday, and after a tall cup of java I'm whistling "In the name of love...". All is right with the world. I'm going to tell her. I promise. Just need to be strategic about it. Better to ask for forgiveness, than. No wait, overtly sell some gear on ebay. Yeah, that's the ticket.

It's about 11:56PM, and about an hour past my wife's bedtime. I'm downstairs in my study, happily noodling along. I'm plugged into a PODHD, which is connected via USB to my iMac. My headphones are plugged into the POD, and I'm using the POD as the sound input/output device on my iMac. That way I've got Spotify up and I'm running through my playlist called "What I'm playing". On the POD, I've got the Bassman model loaded and have added about 30% spring reverb, which sounds amazing. I've been through the Eric and BB version of "3 O'Clock Blues", then BB's "Sweet Sixteen", then hit a Freddie King version of "Ain't Nobody's Business". There is no way that I'm keeping up with Freddie, but the Sherry sounds so good, that in my fantasy world which is being augmented by a 3rd adult beverage (Full Sail IPA), that I am motivated to play rhythm for him and embellish it a bit, hoping that Freddie won't mind. Basically, I am in heaven.

Through the HD280s, I think that I hear a very faint bump, or was I just imagining that. Self preservation instinct takes over, and I lift an earpiece. Sh.... That is her coming down the stairs! I frantically hang the Sherry on the wall, grab my well worn and now somewhat neglected Strat, and almost get my headphones back on straight. She is now standing at the door, asking me when am I coming to bed, and reminding me to be careful about ruining my hearing (love her for that). I am sweating bullets hoping that her gaze won't move to were the Epi is hanging. It doesn't, but she does stare inquisitively at the big black open case on the floor that is labeled Epiphone. She looks at that a very long time but doesn't say anything. Finally, she says good night, turns, and I take a big breath.

I wait a bit until I hear her foot steps overhead reach the bed, and then a little while longer before laying down the Strat and plugging in the Sheraton. Time for a change. On the POD I load another patch with a bunch of delay, then look for the U2 Playlist. The playing leaves a lot to be desired, but I get through "Pride" and "Sunday Bloody..." simply loving the tone. Lastly, go back to a clean sound and try little finger picking on Green Day's "Wake me up when...". Looking at the clock, it's going to be another sleepy day at work tomorrow, but I am amazed at the versatility of this new axe.

Later... it's Friday, and after a tall cup of java I'm whistling "In the name of love...". All is right with the world. I'm going to tell her. I promise. Just need to be strategic about it. Better to ask for forgiveness, than. No wait, overtly sell some gear on ebay. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Very funny!!! Thats what I do to appease my lady, sell or trade something and do a turnaround. Shes good with that. Its not that she doesn't like my gear, it has to do with space in the house. How could your wife not like the Sherry. :rolleyes:

Very funny!!! Thats what I do to appease my lady, sell or trade something and do a turnaround. Shes good with that. Its not that she doesn't like my gear, it has to do with space in the house. How could your wife not like the Sherry. :rolleyes:

That's exactly the conclusion I've come to and is the reason my Epi LP Standard Plus is for sale after buying my new Ibanez Prestige. My wife was actually fine about the Ibby because I put my LP up for sale before the Ibby arrived so she knows I'm intending to sell it.

Alan

It's about 11:56PM, and about an hour past my wife's bedtime....

That's hilarious (and well written)! I've been married for 28 1/2 years and I still put myself through things like this periodically. I have what I would consider a well paying job but my wife is an ex-personal banker and very conservative with spending. I finally came to the conclusion that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. I do hate the time between when I buy something and she finds out about it though, I always intend to tell her but it seems as though there is always a good reason not to tell her ( why ruin her weekend?). And then she does the check book and I feel like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. It's ridiculous, I'm 51 years old!

HNGD, that is a beautiful guitar!

My wife was actually fine about the Ibby because I put my LP up for sale before the Ibby arrived so she knows I'm intending to sell it.

Soooooo... if I did 30 day eBay listings on ALL my geets, with absolutely outrageous BIN prices, I could actually go out & buy another 8 geets right now??? :-k

Those 'eBay dreamers' we regularly have a laugh about here might actually be ahead of the game #-o

Lovely Sheri chipwich... & your writing style is well funny also [thumbup]

Welcome aboard!

Great looking Sherri. Future congratulations when you fully get to

enjoy it and bring her into public view.

GC's catalogue just showed up yesterday and was waiting for me on the

kitchen counter. My wife is watching me go through it and comments,

"you don't need anoter guitar, do you"? I can see she's positioning

me. This happens a lot. Or course, I simply respond, "it's fun to

look". So, I didn't answer her question. I'm actully considering a

new amp.

It's funny, it seems wives are as worried about husbands buying guitars,

as husbands are about explaining why they bought another one. Why is that?

Soooooo... if I did 30 day eBay listings on ALL my geets, with absolutely outrageous BIN prices, I could actually go out & buy another 8 geets right now??? :-k

Worth a try! Put them up for a couple of grand each. :blink:

Archived