Gibson Brands Forums

shaving

Silenced Fred

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... I've used about everything at one time or another.

Started shaving in high school with a Gillette blue blade (I'll bet Grampa remembers that one too, even if he is just a kid <grin>) then a single blade Schick that had a little metal box that dispensed blades into the razor when you needed a switch.

I tried a bunch of different electrics, then a buddy I played in a country band with suggested I try the Norelco. Been using it ever since.

I'm kinda like Grampa with the snow white beard, but I think the face looks bristly if I go more than a day without shaving.

When I traveled a lot in the 80s and early 90s, any cheapie would do 'cuz they were lighter than an electric and overseas they'd work regardless what country. I think it probably was Bics. Yup, soap up well and even without a "foam," it's no problem.

Most fun... Yeah, I had a barber shave once - and my face was red for a week as if I had road rash. Never again. My barber knows how, but says the idea is to get sooooo close that you're taking off more layers of skin than a safety razor - and it takes the face quite a while to get used to it.

On the other hand, the straight razor isn't bad if you treat it right. For years doing 19th Century reenacting I used a straight razor, but no attempt to be as close as the barber had been. I'd learned my lesson. Then a splash of Bay Rum and all was well. If it wasn't a perfect shave... hey, it's 1867, what's the problem?

<grin> My first high school football coach used a straight razor when he was playing college ball before WWII. Told the tale of shaving on a moving train. That experience gave him a strong suggestion that he switch to a "safety razor" like the Gillette.

m

I mostly use an Atra twin-blade razor.

However from time to time I break out the Wahl beard trimmer and go electric.

One thing I always do is never allow the whiskers to go down the drain. I shave in a bowl and then dump it down the toilet. So longer whiskers, when I use the Wahl, go into a newspaper. Short shavings get flushed away. That way there's no later sink back up.

I mostly use an Atra twin-blade razor.

However from time to time I break out the Wahl beard trimmer and go electric.

One thing I always do is never allow the whiskers to go down the drain. I shave in a bowl and then dump it down the toilet. So longer whiskers, when I use the Wahl, go into a newspaper. Short shavings get flushed away. That way there's no later sink back up.

i just drape a towel across the sink and let it all go into there.

when i grow out the beard, i trim it with an electric hair trimmer

I shave in the shower. I find it less irritating on the neck. Only with a blade though. Using an electric razor in the shower could be an electrifying experience! [tongue]

I do too. I strongly recommend getting a fogless shave mirror. The constant hot water and steam really soften the skin.

WRT being shaved by a barber with a straight razor...Yep, you will be a little raw, but it's a GOOD raw! The best shave I ever got was from a Turkish guy at a little shop in NYC...apparently, getting a shave in Turkey is as common as buying milk.

I think a razor is a far closer shave than an electric shaver. However, some guys prefer the feel of the electric, and that's cool too. Come to think of it, I've never heard of a guy cutting his own throat while shaving if he sneezes while using an electric. :blink:

I agree, but in my youth, I was so mean when I did shave with a razor I had to hold a gun to my head to keep from cutting my own throat. msp_unsure.gif

i completely shaved it all off... i look like i'm 12 again [scared]

When you get to about 25+ you'll have more than enough facial hair and they grow back within hours practically. At age 40, you will notice hairs at areas that you never though they would grow( using razors not recommended in these areas [biggrin]) and you loose hairs at areas where you want hairs to be [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

When you get to about 25+ you'll have more than enough facial hair and they grow back within hours practically. At age 40, you will notice hairs at areas that you never though they would grow( using razors not recommended in these areas [biggrin]) and you loose hairs at areas where you want hairs to be [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

I wouldn't bet on it, I'm 26 and Sidney Crosby can grow a better beard than I can. [unsure]

I wouldn't bet on it, I'm 26 and Sidney Crosby can grow a better beard than I can. [unsure]

Hey, I'm 48 and I can't grow a decent beard either. I'm not complaining though - no 5 o'clock shadow. Only takes a couple minutes to shave with an electric and it lasts all day. And the ladies love smooth cheeks. [flapper]

LOL!!! Didn't Fred say he was 19? If he as that much hair at 19, then he maybe as hairy as Eddie Munster [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

I didn't shave for four months and my facial hair was like 2-3 inches. it was mainly a neck beard thing, but meh. i think i'm gonna let it grow in thicker but shorter

Years ago, I tried an electric (got one for Christmas), it never did shave nearly as close. I started out on one of those razors with a ribbon of blade that you advanced every so often. Then went to the Atra 2 blade system. Used it for year, it worked great. My Atra handle is probably 30 years old and going strong. It is one of the early all metal ones. On a trip I was forced to purchase a 4 blade throw-away. I rather like that one. It will supplant my Atra when it gives up the ghost or Gillette quits making the heads for it. I've tried knock-off brand replacements, but used hack saw blades would probably work better. [scared]

Archived