Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Epiphone ES-355

StompIt

Hey Guys!

Epiphone seems to have really hit a home run with this one. Its so beautiful and plays great.

The factory setup was good other than being a little high. I did have to hit the frets with some 0000 wool to get rid of a little roughness.

Overall the fit and finish is fantastic and will stand up to any Gibsons I've checked out lately.

DSC03957.JPG

DSC03983.JPG

DSC03974.JPG

DSC03962.JPG

DSC03969.JPG

DSC03959.JPG

DSC04000.JPG

A real Beauty! Congratulations! How does it sound/how are the pickups,

body (unplugged) resonance, etc.?

CB

In terms of sound, I only have my Ibanez Artcore Semis to compare and I actually prefer the Epi pickups.. they are a little warmer. I wish I could give you a comparison to the Classic 57 sound.

Overall, Im really impressed with the range of tones available between the two pickups. Rolling off the highs on the bridge give a very nice jazzy tone. If this sounds good to me, I cant imagine how good the 57s would sound!

Beautiful, and thanks for the photo of the pick guard.

That clinched it for me.

I just ordered one from GC only in white.

I have been eyeing the older Korean Sheratons in white for a while.

I think the tortoise shell guard will look great on the all white.

Would have gone with Cherry, but I have a korean Riviera with minis in cherry.

Enjoy yours and play it often.

Mark

Beautiful, and thanks for the photo of the pick guard.

That clinched it for me.

I just ordered one from GC only in white.

I have been eyeing the older Korean Sheratons in white for a while.

I think the tortoise shell guard will look great on the all white.

Would have gone with Cherry, but I have a korean Riviera with minis in cherry.

Enjoy yours and play it often.

Mark

Thank you Mark!

If you can, post some pics and your experience when you get it....

She's a keeper for sure and a real beauty.One thing puzzles me though I thought that 355s had the 6-way Varitone switch and that's what differentiated them from the 345s or have they discontinued it?

The ES-355 Stereo, had the Varitone. There was a mono wired option, as well.

The Standard ES-355 did not. The Gibson 355's have multi-ply binding,

on both the front and back, of the body, as well as a larger multi-bound headstock laminate, with the

"split diamond" inlay. The Gibson ES-345 stereo also has the Varitone, but only multi-ply binding, on the front,

of the body, the back has single ply binding, like a 335. Neck inlays are split parallelogram, on

the 345, and Block inlays, on the 355. They both came with the option, of Stop tail, or Vibrato

tail pieces (Maestro, or Bigsby, at various times)...and some years, had the trapeze tail piece, as

well. The ES-345 also has the "normal" Gibson headstock size, with "Crown" inlay.

Of the new Epiphones, the ES-355, is the closest, to the Gibson non-stereo ES-355. The new Epi ES-345, is (really) a Dot, with 345 fret

makers, an added Varitone/Stereo wiring, and crown inlay, in the headstock. It does not have multi-ply binding, on the front, as is

standard, with the Gibson version. Nice guitar, no doubt, just not completely accurate, to Gibson's spec's.

CB

Archived