Gibson Brands Forums

Why isn't there more awe of classical players?

heymisterk

Okay, I get that this is a Gibson forum and people love their Buckethead and Bonamassa. But to me, masters like Segovia, Bream, Williams, and a few others can move me like no other individual guitar player. Whenever I listen to a piece by Bach or Tarrega, I am so moved by the technique, skill, and sheer emotion these players can convey. Do you have favorite classical pieces? Post 'em! Here's one of my favorites, played by a true master...

I think it is because it sort of falls in the Classical Music section for a lot of folks. I also think that Spanish guitar music is viewed as foreign music by folks in the US.

Plus Classical Music is not widely listened to.

Personally I love a touch of classical music integrated with rock, reason why Ritchie Blackmore is my favorite guitar player and Yngwie is my favorite shredder.

I agree with you though, there was a thread about the most influential player of all time or something along those lines and after 4 pages nobody had mentioned Segovia.

Just my perspective.

I think the word "classical" has a stigma attached to it (old, stuffy, formal, etc.). Maybe not enough people are exposed to classical guitar players enough to be given the chance to appreciate their talent and passion.

In that respect, I think you have done this forum a great service in what you've posted. Bravo![thumbup]

Pictures at an Exhibition, arranged for guitar and performed by Kazuhito Yamashita.

Its about 35 minutes long. Here's one piece of it.

Not a good recording, but they are few and far between.

Check out the incredible volume and tone and amazing technique at 3:55.

It's a question of popularity imo, if you're a fan, then you more than likely, respect great classical players highly. Sadly, in today's society they are often ignored by the popular media. Yo-Yo Ma is one of the few I can think of who have achieved some sort of notoriety that reaches into being "well known".

This is known as one of the most challenging violin pieces, and yet I sure as heck couldn't tell you the first time I listened. It takes thoughtful listening (not hearing :P) to appreciate it sometimes. It doesn't punch you in the jaw like Zeppelin, it flits about your ear lightly sometimes.

I for one love "classical" music immensely, I find it is in many cases (particularly Baroque period onward) the most emotionally beautiful, and enrapturing musical form. I am one of the mass who are quite enamored with Chopin's second Nocturne. It is incredibly beautiful music

(I know the videos aren't guitar-based... I got carried away, but I hope you understand my point)

Why isn't there more awe?

Because he needs to turn the gain up. [biggrin]

In my opinion, anything other than flesh, finger nails, nylon strings, and pure talent would ruin most classical guitar pieces. Similarly, I don't think "Welcome to the Jungle" should be played on a classical guitar.

Without classical there would be no metal. I am personally in awe with any person who even comes close to playing classical. We have one guy here (Matt) who blows the door off 95% of the people I have listen to either locally or recorded national artists. He has his own UTube and his videos are out of this world.

Matts UTube....

Just a sample

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPUPfYSihHo

+1000

I'm in awe of Matt.

In my opinion, anything other than flesh, finger nails, nylon strings, and pure talent would ruin most classical guitar pieces. Similarly, I don't think "Welcome to the Jungle" should be played on a classical guitar.

There are just a few exceptions which spring to mind. The Doors doing a nice take-off of Albeniz' 'Asturias' on their track 'Spanish Caravan' for example. I don't think it was an improvement on the original; just an interesting variation.

Mind you, as that piece was originally written for piano perhaps that doesn't count?

P.

Without classical there would be no metal. I am personally in awe with any person who even comes close to playing classical. We have one guy here (Matt) who blows the door off 95% of the people I have listen to either locally or recorded national artists. He has his own UTube and his videos are out of this world.

Matts UTube....

Just a sample

I certainly agree with this sentiment.

While there IS a lot of classical influence in the Metal genre, I think that also in contrast is that classical as a whole is a very DIFFERENT type of music. In a sense, while a classical guitar is still a guitar and shares 6 strings and the same tuning, for most of the music the average "guitar player" plays we may have more in common with the banjo.

And, by that I mean the skills of execution and expression, as well as the type of music and audience.

As far as the subject with this particular "guy", what I am impressed with is the fact he is able to play much more than you standard "classical" regardless of the guitar used or the setting. There are lots of guys that play other things on a classical guitar, or versions of rock songs and such. But unlike most, he pulls off some genuine sounding materiel of other types of music that work in other settings besides being a "classical" rendition.

A lot of people equate classical guitar and classical music in general as boring and snobbish and aimed at the rich ballet and opera loving crowd and figure that it would be too boring to play.That couldn't be further from the truth.Classical music and especially guitar is absolutely exciting.I have a pretty large assortment of classical guitar recordings including quite a bit of Eliot Fisk,John Williams and Julian Bream,both together and separately and many others .It would behoove anyone to pick a copy of Eliot Fisk playing Paganini's 24 Caprices or Pepe Romero doing Boccherini's Guitar Quintets and Giuliani's Complete Guitar concertos both backed by The Academy Of St. Martin In The Field with Sir Neville Mariner conducting.I have music for the guitar from its inception to present day and even back during The Rennaisance and earlier guitar/lute pieces could be just as tecnically difficult as what any shredder is doing today-I often scratch and wonder"How did he/she do that?"

I'd advise anyone who hasn't heard any amount of classical guitar pick up any of the works that I or others have recommended.I especially endorse Eliot Fisk doing Paganini's 24 Caprices.It's just incredible beyond words how he could take complicated compositions meant for violin and transpose them for guitar-it's simply "Brilliant"as is his playing,it's mind boggling what this guy can do with a guitar in his hands-I doubt that Malmsteen could out-riff him.

Okay, I get that this is a Gibson forum and people love their Buckethead and Bonamassa. But to me, masters like Segovia, Bream, Williams, and a few others can move me like no other individual guitar player. Whenever I listen to a piece by Bach or Tarrega,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLHR8zaEsA8&list=FLVIe-72fM_NI3CIO-WzKU1A&index=36&feature=plpp_video

If a Tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it does it make a sound that anyone would be in awe of? Sorry but no.

I'm a classically trained pianist so I can certainly appreciate classical music. I played all the Chopin Nocturnes and many others in my youth. A great piece that would be a shredder's tune of today is Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C sharp minor, Op.3 No.2 (check out 1:55 and 2:30).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKYkssqyYkc

RS, great to meet another classical guitarist and lovely playing too! Was that a house concert you were giving? (Jocko, as always - thanks for the support!)

What I feel sad is there is still such a classical 'back log'. I sincerely hope by the time this century is out, people will have moved onto the music of the 20th century! Don't get me wrong; I love all the previous periods, but so often when people do delve into 'classical', it is so often all 'mainstream' stuff; Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Tchaikovosky's Nut Cracker suite, Bach Air On a G String etc

These pieces and composers are all great :) - but there are loads of weird and wonderful pieces IMHO

Matt

Archived