Gibson Brands Forums

Any Old RoadHouse Rats Over 50 Out There??

bluezguy

Well...I'm definitely in the age group, but I don't think we need an exclusive catagory, on

this forum. The "kids" are fun, and funny...and have a lot to offer, quite often. Keeps

me on my toes, too! IF they have some postings, that aren't of my interest, or tastes,

I just don't go there, or feel the need to post. One of the things I like about this forum,

is the diversity of ages, experience levels, and backgrounds. Keeps things interesting... [biggrin]

IMHO.

CB

I am in that group also and agree with CB. The Old timers or what ever we are rated at today, should pass on our experience to those who will probably never have the opportunities we had to play live in so many different venues.

There does seam to be some resurgence for Acoustic and Blues in my area now.

I started playing in bar bands in 1963, when I was all of 15...slept through the last 2 years of high school. I went to college and found a good little blues band that needed a regular bass player/singer, and I did that rather than continue my education till I got drafted about 2 years later. Started back with that band later for a few more years, and one later band for a short time in Berkeley, CA in '75. My "career" ended then, but I'm not an old retired guy who spends much of his time playing guitar.

I spent about 15 years playing for money and working temp **** jobs in between gigs. I have been in some terrible bars and a few good places in the Philadelphia - South NJ - and New York State areas, and I respect anyone who has done that. I wonder how much of that world still exists...I am going in an "open mic" thing sometime this summer, just to see if I can still do it.

I will be 65 late this summer, and i'm right now starting the Ted Greene books to improve my understanding of chords. I play bass, guitar, and a little harmonica, and still sing a bit.

If this starts up, I'd like to be in it.

mark

Add me to the old list I'll be 53 in Aug (thanks I'm stopping for a moment to be depressed)It's not that I still cant play good enough to go out with a part time party band.It's just I dont think I could last all night with the bar girls I used to pick up (and my wife would get mad) :^o . I played in quite a few biker bar bands two to three times a week and even substituted playing guitar,or bass for a buddys wedding band in the late 70,s if I was needed.What the heck $75.00 for 4 hours work plus food doing a wedding wasnt bad cash in 1980 or so. Not that it's politically incorrect I really dont think we need a seperate page for us older guys/ladies there's still a lot of new things I haven't even figured out yet,guitar and guitar accessories change pretty quick.

I played in some places I wouldn't go near today. I had some scary gigs and some very good times. Played in Park City Utah during winter ski in a bar so old the floor would sway from the people dancing so much, I kept a pitcher of beer under my floor toms and the beer would be sloshing around wildly. Many well known artist would come and jam on Thursday night jams, it was a blast. I took a short gig in a C/W band for a few months, touring Nevada cowboy dives where we had to wear cowboy hats and keep or hair tucked in or get our butts kicked. Great times there was no speed limit on the freeways in Nevada then, I had a 63' Impala I can tell you those big old cars ride nice at 120+.

Played in many blues bands, one we had a sax player who thought he was a bad dude, until he burned a couple of dope dealers, they caught him after a gig one night held a knife to his throat while the rest of us were packing up our gear. It went on for a long time, him begging for another chance, finally the rest of us wanted to go home, so I told them he was a p_ssy who wasn't worth their time, they agreed and took off, he didn't know if he should thank me or hate me. He never played with us again, we didn't need that crap.

One winter night around 3 am we were driving back from a gig, our git picker was smashed and had to pee real bad, I told him to hold it till I got off the freeway, the next thing I knew he had the back door open, our bass player was holding his right arm, he had his left knee on the arm rest of the door facing the rear of the car peeing at 70mph...he was crazy, got himself shot in the back on night before a gig, the rest of us were set up, on stage, waiting for this fool when we got the word. That was the end of that band...It can be a rough business.

Any old, experienced, retired, once full-timer types out there??? If so, and there are enough of us, ya wanna see if we can get our own category in this forum OR is that too f__ng politically incorrect??? [tongue]

I think we should get matching socks and go on the road! [rolleyes]

Count me in. 60 years old here. Been playing on and off since age 12. Played in a few biker bars in the 80's (mostly Eagles and Skinner). I would put the guitar in the closet and get it out about every other year. Couple of years ago I got stressed out at work (flight or fight) and developed some health problems. Ever since I have been playing / practicing about 2 hours week days and 5 hours weekend days. Learning music theory and playing guitar is a great stress reliever.

I have an informal group called 'Markini and the Gerrys'. Guess what the word Gerrys stand for.

Any old, experienced, retired, once full-timer types out there??? If so, and there are enough of us, ya wanna see if we can get our own category in this forum OR is that too f__ng politically incorrect??? [tongue]

prior to getting married @19, was a friend/roadie with a local group! always wanted to play so got a cheap egmond 6str.which set for pretty much 30 yrs. but my youngest picked it up about 5yrs.ago got pretty darned good! [biggrin] so about 3 yrs. ago him and I bought a couple of electrics. his was a epi dot mine

LpPstdit :wub: ever since impressed myself on numerous occassions :rolleyes: wished i could have stayed with it the 1st 30 yrs. but house payments,kids, OT,home remodle,car repair just slowed me down a bit :unsure:

I never played full time, but a lot of weekend warrioring. I tend to agree with CB, though, even if I'm even older than Grampa. I think our tales of the old days offer something to the kids and the kids' input helps keep us from being truly old. Hell, I'm still a loose cannon at times and figure when I stop learning new stuff, it's time to study the posies from the root side.

m

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 56 and have been playing since 16, but I like the kids, they make me forget how much my joints hurt.

I saw a lot of rough and crazy stuff on the road, and have no desire to go back to gigging unless it's local, low-key and low drama.

Playing now is just therapy and an excuse to drink beer and swap stories with my friends.

Archived