Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

daveinspain

I got lucky, I think... I've been gassing for a Brain May guitar. I saw one at a local music store and liked it, played and sound pretty good. They were asking 690 euros for the guitar, got them down to 670 and told them I'd think about it. A couple days later, just for the hell of it I had a look on line to see if I could find one second hand. There it was a Antique Cherry Brain May, just like the one I played at the music store, asking price 400 euros. Called the guy and we agreed to meet so I could see the guitar. Guitars in very good shape, no dings, no scratches to speak of, slight belt or button marks on the back. I wouldn't even call it buckle rash. The only thing was the whammy bar was missing [confused] Tells me he thought is was in the case but he must have it a t home. Guitar seemed great aside from that. I offered him 300, he said 350, I said bring me the whammy bar and I'll give you some more cash. Done deal, I got it for 300. I get the guitar home and plug it in, quick tune and played around a bit, sounds great, gets lots of sound variations. I grabbed the whammy bar from my strat to see if it fit which it doesn't. Goes in the hole but it's too loose but I did a whammy action any way which threw the guitar way out of tune [scared]

I'm thinking he didn't bring the whammy bar because you can't use it. Anyway if it stays in tune without using the whammy I'm happy, it's a very cool guitar and I don't really use tremolo anyway. I'll get some better pics when it's cleaned up...

L1060916.jpg

That's a great buy, Dave!

I've always loved BM and his Red Special. It's the one guitar I'd love to try out over all others.

I believe Brian's original tremolo unit used springs which were originally valve-springs from a motorbike engine. Can't remember which make....

Perhaps if you swap the springs for something out of a Triumph Bonneville.....

For 300 Euros you can't really complain!

P.

That's a great buy, Dave!

I've always loved BM and his Red Special. It's the one guitar I'd love to try out over all others.

I believe Brian's original tremolo unit used springs which were originally valve-springs from a motorbike engine. Can't remember which make....

Perhaps if you swap the springs for something out of a Triumph Bonneville.....

For 300 Euros you can't really complain!

P.

Exactly... If I never use the tremolo I could care less. I can't really tinker with it too much this weekend but if it stays in tune I'm happy and if it doesn't I'd consider putting a stop bar on it... We'll see what happens.

Archived