Gibson Brands Forums

Musicians and dancing...

Rabs

Theres something I have always wondered about so thought id ask you guys...

I have NEVER EVER been into dancing (apart from maybe a slow dance with a nice lady, or the odd mosh).. Most of my friends are into it and would go clubbing and such which I tried so I could be with my friends cos there was a time when thats all they did of a weekend, but I found it pointless (obvioulsy)..

Now ive found that out of all my friends, strangely enough all the ones who dont dance are guitarists.. Is this just a coincidence with the group of friends I have or is this normal?

I used to argue with my ex about it and she was like, but you love music how can you not dance. I have always thought that its because I am a musician and thats how I express myself musically.

Plus I think (if im really honest) that most people look really silly when they dance, which may be the reason alone lol.

So what about you folk? Do you dance? Do you think theres any merit in my theory ? :)

I was NEVER into dancing....('cept like you....the slow dance with a person with nice curves....but no mosh).

I'm very comfortable on stage 'dancin' with my guitar, but regular dancing just ain't me.

Yeah same here... im fine on a stage and I dont really care what people think, i just do my thing.. but just hate dancing..

Weird !! :)

I wish I could dance, but I can't. In my early 20s drinking days, I danced all the time, and I'm sure I looked like a stooge. When my son got married last summer, I hit the dance floor, and it wasn't pretty. I felt awkward. I always wind up thinking too much instead of just moving. It comes down to being uninhibited. Just not caring what you look like and just having fun. Women like men who can dance a hell of a lot more than guys who play a guitar. Some day, I'd like to take swing dance lessons with my wife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knW1hGwmEXQ

Dancing was how I kept my manly form back in the day [thumbup] every Fri. & Sat. night, drinking & dancing. Even had a couple of girls tell me I had been voted guy with the best buns [thumbup]. Unfortunately, one of them had glasses thicker than 2 pop bottles, and the other had a white cane and a service dog. But hey, being voted #1 was good for the ego. [flapper] Later yrs. while playing in a bluegrass band, I had a wireless setup on my bass so I could go out and hear the mix {was sound man too} and would do a little shuffling around with the ladies. always had a good time and didn't miss too many notes

TC

I've said it before...

1. It doesn't matter what you look like dancing, nobody's watching you.

2. Dancing is foreplay.

3. Women like to dance. That's why they dance with each other when you won't ask them.

4. See 1, 2, and 3 above. Get out there and dance and you may get lucky.

Mark me down as another guitarist who doesn't dance.It's not that I never dance or did dance its just that I have to be pretty full to get out on a dance floor and since I barely drink at all any more consequently I never dance.When we'd be playing a gig and I'd get real into a lead break I'd often boogie woogie across the dance floor and back for a few giggles.

When I was but a munchkin, I had a number of older friends who played in various sorts of dance bands - largely trios and quartets and largely with 20-30 something married couples making up the mix.

Granted, that's back in the dark ages, but... even as a 12-year-old trumpet player in the 1950s I kinda swore to myself I'd never go to a dance unless I was in the band. Darned near never did.

m

Maybe we are on to something here...musicians who cannot dance.

I cannot dance well and, as such, I do not enjoy dancing. If I'm dancing it's only because I hope to get horizontal with the victim of my ill timed spasms. In hindsight, this is something I wish I had learned to do well. Note to all of you young (or at least) single forum members: learn to dance now - even if you do not want to. It is like public speaking, not fun, but a good skill to have.

I have NEVER EVER been into dancing (apart from maybe a slow dance with a nice lady.. Most of my friends are into it and would go clubbing and such which I tried so I could be with my friends. but I found it pointless (obvioulsy)..

Now ive found that out of all my friends, strangely enough all the ones who dont dance are guitarists.. Is this just a coincidence with the group of friends I have or is this normal?

Plus I think (if im really honest) that most people look really silly when they dance, which may be the reason alone lol.

So what about you folk? Do you dance? Do you think theres any merit in my theory ? :)

man I think you hit the nail on the head! you said it all! =D>[wink] will attempt with copius amounts of strong drink!not so much, any more~ :blink:

As for dancing ability, or maybe, especially execution...

Girls/women, in general, look much better, dancing, than guys.

They seem to tend to work at it, a bit harder, and learn the steps.

Guys, just "wing it," as a "necessary evil." There are exceptions,

obviously (in Ballet, or professional dancing, where it's a bit more

equal), but...from my observations, that tends to be true. [biggrin]

CB

[thumbup] hahaha i havent seen that in ages.. I think when i was first shown that clip I probably watched it for like 6 months and it made me laugh every day when i was having a bad time at work that would always make me smile...

man that little dude can boogie. maybe if I could dance like that id be out clubbing it up :P :)

I have NEVER EVER been into dancing (apart from maybe a slow dance with a nice lady, or the odd mosh).. Most of my friends are into it and would go clubbing and such which I tried so I could be with my friends cos there was a time when thats all they did of a weekend, but I found it pointless (obvioulsy)..

I used to argue with my ex about it and she was like, but you love music how can you not dance. I have always thought that its because I am a musician and thats how I express myself musically.

you might have something there. ALL my friends dance, most deejay, some play instruments but none play electric guitar. i don't consider myself a natural by any stretch but i do have good rhythm, excellent timing and creativity. i had to seek out 'teachers' to learn the basics and then practice with others, just like learning an instrument. i lost a few toenails (they grow back) and it took a few years before i got really good. i plan to get into competitive ballroom dancing sometime in the distant future when i'm done with the club scene.

Since I was a young teen, I've always been on the other side of the microphone and therefore never learned to dance.

It's just not the way I express myself to music.

My partner Leilani, on the other hand, is a great dancer. So I get on the floor with her occasionally and she makes me look good ;)

Archived