Gibson Brands Forums

We Need Two Gibson Lounges

Rich W

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy Crap! I really hit a sore spot with some people by suggesting this.

I don’t really care what you boys want to talk about besides music.

I mentioned the idea, thinking it might make things more efficient ... but if the status quo is working well for everyone, then that’s fine too.

IMHO it seems like the Lounge should be for just any ol'thing you want to visit with with other people you enjoy in the other areas of the forum. I'm mean, don't we have enough "pigeon holes" to boil stuff down to with guitars, amps, this that & the other thing for technical help? [confused] If anything, I'd say people that are interested in performing, either for fun or pro, might need a heading for that. I can see how that, in the lounge, might get some sideways answers for some of us (me included) just having fun and blowing the stink & stress off from the grueling days work. :rolleyes: I'm not offended by the post question, just wondering if a different topic list that's more restricted to that would be better used?

Aster

Holy Crap! I really hit a sore spot with some people by suggesting this.

I don’t really care what you boys want to talk about besides music.

I mentioned the idea, thinking it might make things more efficient ... but if the status quo is working well for everyone, then that’s fine too.

I think what the deal is, is that many of us have been posting on Gibson Forums since 2008 or so. We've all seen the "What amp should I get?", "Should I leave my pick guard on?" "Is this a fake?" etc so many times. Plus many of the members start to feel a familiarity with each other and just start wanting to "shoot the st!t" so to speak. I can see how it appears to someone relatively new when they see all these oddball topics, but like others have said there are more focused areas of the Forum for specific information. Plus, you can find some music related stuff here too if you sift a little bit. [rolleyes]

Also, many of us remember the days when any post that wasn't specifically about Gibson got booted. Now if I could just figure out the mystery of this latest rash of disappearing threads in The Lounge. :-k

I see your point, however, "other" threads are what the lounge is all about. That's why it's called the lounge. Like the neighborhood tavern, it's where people get together and talk about whatever.

Personally, I ignore "what was your first motorcycle" threads, it's really easy for me not to click on that one. I ignore a lot of guitar-related threads that don't interest me as well.

Tolerance - we need more tolerance - as long as it isn't spam and a bona fide member wants to talk about it here, why not? Even if it is a dead horse issue to many of us. A newbie might really want to know what the difference between Gibson and Epiphone is, and somebody might care to help him/her, others choose to ignore it, and still others will post abusive remarks, (which is exactly the opposite of tolerance).

There was a time when this board did not allow off-topic threads, and that caused a lot more trouble than ignoring a few things you aren't interested in.

For me, if I have a vote, I would leave it like it is.

BTW, the weather is absolutely beautiful here today, high in the low 80s (F) and low in the mid 60s (a little chilly but not too bad), it's sunny and warm with a gentle breeze blowing from the Atlantic ocean through my small house.

Insights and incites by Notes

Dudes...seriously? You can't just not click on the threads you don't like? Someone has to create a new section just for you?

You know what would be great? If a forum had the option of entering your interests and stuff you don't want to read about and then it let you create your customized forum view where only threads started by people you want to read and about things you are interested on would show (I don't expect this one to do anything people ask them to do, mainly because the brand that's behind it hardly ever does something the customer asks for).

I don't know how to use the ignore function (can't even find it) but I just don't open threads started by 4 guys in here. Whenever I read the title and I see it's started by *****, **********, ******* or ******** I just don't even open it. But it would be great to have your customized forum show only threads about cars, or food, or guitars or traveling... and/or to have your customized view not show "is this a real gibson" or "scam" or "if you don't play historics you are an idiot".

You get the idea.

It's time for Gibson.com to create two separate "Lounge" boards

And another one for threads like "what was your first car?", "what kind of cigarettes do you smoke?", "what's your favorite color?"

I thought that this was why Facebook was created-

I get it, just because i use some curse words that makes me the bad guy here. Not the guy posting videos of mallcores band all day, but me...the bad guy.

Gotta blame someone.....J/K of course...

Yeah you're a Baaaaad dude...[flapper]

Well, to address the OP.

The idea itself is not without merit, I'd never say that it didn't. That being said, I don't think it's the way to go. The problem, as I see it, is rooted in the doldrums we've developed here recently. The forum has seen better days, but that's how this works. I see forums work in cycles often enough. I see loads of miscellaneous threads, which at one time bothered me. If someone wants to discuss something besides music, they can go right on ahead as far as I'm concerned (as has been pointed out, this is a "General Discussion" subforum). I'll admit I haven't been showing up so frequently of late because most of the threads don't interest me at all (not to say there isn't gold like the Walk the Walk Talk the Talk thread).

We've lost some old timers, cryin' shame (though two have recently rejoined our ranks!), we don't get any more Neo v Homz battles anymore... sometimes I think that's not a terribly good thing. Though they weren't civil, they were entertaining :P.

The way I see it, I'll stick around as long as something here interests me. That's how I function (I often think it's a good way of going about it). Why stick around if there's nothing keeping you here?

Archived