Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on Marshall Amps

Aster1

Hi Ya'll,

I'm thinking about a Marshall amp to add to the mix. I'd like some opinions/advice on which one may fit my needs best (if any even). I play at home, no gigging, have Ric's Gretsch's & Gibson's, and a Tele & Strat. For amps I have a Vox AC15C1 & Fender Blues Deluxe. I like much of the 60's & 70's rock & will someday start to dip my toe into the blues (more Memphis style) & after I eat Ribs & Brisket!! Will wash up good first so's I don't ruin the stings. [biggrin]

I read and hear people talk about "that Marshall sound" and am asking which Marshall amp I should look into? Class 5, MA series or something else? I want to keep under $800 for the new amp I guess. Anything that makes sense or am I just about as well off with what I've got unless I'd get into the higher dollar Marshall's?

If you have any opinions on this you'd like to share I'm listening. Combo or Half stack either way's fine. Just would like to hear others thoughts on benefits or sound quality differences vs what I've got. Will keep my other 2 amps too BTW.

Thanks for the advice in advance! [thumbup]

Aster

Depends on what you want. There is not really one Marshall sound. There are many.

That said, here is my .02...

The Class 5 is a great little amp. I have the head version. My favorite amp is the 18 watt (EL84) Marshall circuit (there is a 20 watt circuit that is very similar). There are also new "Haze" models in 15 or 40 watts. I have not heard those. None of these though have the thump of the 50 or 100 watt head versions that set the standard for classic heavy rock tones. These are pretty loud for at home use, but they will make your innards move! I avoid the models that are solid state or are enhanced with digital effects and shoot for just tubes and one or two channels, but that's me. Some like the more modern, hybrid versions.

Go try some out and have fun. Bring home the one that moves you the most. [thumbup]

Yeah, those little 1 watter's look cool. I have a Class 5 (Red) with a Jackhammer peddle it has great tone but as far as using it in my bedroom it kinda sucks as I can't open up the amp. I haven't been able to try it out in a bigger room but it may just be perfect for a medium sized club gig. I don't think I'd want to use it in a small bar or pool hall type setting as it scream's with the peddle engaged and the amp set at low volume. Maybe if I had a Hot-plate or Power-Break set-up it would be better, perhaps a good rack processor with a multi function foot board would work. I would not want to get rid of it as it's probably the best sounding amp I've owned, I just think it wants to be in a larger room than the 12X10 space I'm in now.

Frankly, you're good with what you have. Wait til you're ready to play in a band to buy any other amps.

And when you are ready to play in a band: Absolutely do not get a half stack. You'd never get a proper Marshall half stack for $800, but that's beside the point. A half stack is a waste of cargo space. If your band takes the act on the road, you will curse the day you chose a half stack over a combo.

Depends on what you want. There is not really one Marshall sound. There are many.

There are also new "Haze" models in 15 or 40 watts.

I had the Haze combo, it sounded great but broke down after 2 days. The Haze line are now discontinued. I got the Dsl 401 combo in return for the haze, great amp with a bit more modern sound. But it needs 3 upgrades to be good.A New speaker(vintage 30), some jj tubes and a decent cable from the amp to reverb tank

Hey Aster, my current amp is a Marshall mg100hdfx,its appx a $600 package.It's my 1st Marshall as ive played years through Crate amps,the amps gain has plenty of balls and the clean channel has just as good a quality sound.The built in effects are ok but i dont use them excluding some reverb now and again.Over the years gigging,ive had 2 diff. band members play thru a tech 21 amp,you should,if possible,hook into one and see if its something fit for your stable,its very compact w/ a range of diff sounds via the switches on the amp,and it does not lack in power despite its size.Good luck with your shopping,be sure to post pics when u make your decision.Heres the model i mentioned http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tech-21-Trademark-60-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-107750945-i1145280.gc

I had the Haze combo, it sounded great but broke down after 2 days. The Haze line are now discontinued. I got the Dsl 401 combo in return for the haze, great amp with a bit more modern sound.

Ironically enough, my Marshall DSL 401 broke died on me. I took it back to the store I bought it from (which closed shortly after) and they had got rid of some of their guys. The guy who had a look at it was baffled and couldn't fix it. Then tried to charge me for it. [cursing] Managed to get out of that one. Only because one of the salesman recognized that I was a frequent customer.

I then gave it to a friend who is far better with that kind of thing than me. He was baffled too. Eventually he passed it on to his friend who is a very good electrician (he normally repairs everything from guitars to betamax vcrs) and his diagnosis was very bleak. Can't remember for the life of me what the problem was now. Wish I'd sent it back to Marshall, but by that point, I'd already moved on to Peavey Amps and just considered it a write off.

I'll buy another Marshall at some point, but was hoping mine was just a freak occurrence.

I disagree with the comment about half stacks. I don't even have a car, but managed to cart my 100w peavey head and 4x12 cab when I needed to. It was too loud for some gigs, but was fine for others. I find that combos are usually back breakingly heavy, whereas cabs (almost) always have wheels. As a matter of fact, my peavey head was heavier than the cab. It might seem strange, but that peavey was very easy to get about.

I have the Class 5 and it's a great amp with a very distinctive tone. I always have the attenuator switch on because I live in a condo building. I can't imagine what it would be like wide open. Even with this setting at around 12 o'clock it starts to get this great warm crunch transplanted from 1969. My Les Paul with those '57s plugged into this thing makes me feel like starting a power-trio. It's a simple and pure set up: guitar and amp and nothing else for distinctive tone. At some point I'd like to add some reverb to approximate a bigger room. Also, the tone can be a bit bass-y so I usually crank up the treble and keep the bass and mid around 0. It's a bit of a one-act amp; it can go clean with the attenuator off and on a lower volume setting, it just seems like it doesn't want to! My other amp is a Mustang I which can sound like anything since it's solid state, but none of its tones feel as authentic as the Marshall's.

The Vintage Modern has that classic Marshall tone but is above your price, you may fine one used. Checkout the JMD the 50 watters they have El34's in the power amp and a digital preamp that can get many of the marshall sounds, they are being sold at great discounts by many of the big chains, within you range.

Thanks for the info. I won't be playing in any bands as I play for me and just enjoyment/relaxation. I'll look at the Class 5 maybe in a combo. When I had a Vox AC4TV10 I liked the sound but didn't like the "no spring reverb" and very limited tone controls and sold it for an AC15. Also, I'd read about them crapping out soon after the warranty and being totaled. Maybe that's been fixed by now I hope. Love the AC15 with the feature improvements and sound too. I'm not scared of the 5watt output from a Class 5 as the little AC4 would blow me out of the living room. Guess I'll try one out to see if I notice much difference in voices from the Vox or the Fender I have.

Thanks again.

Aster

I have a SS marshall and don't get me wrong it's a good amp but I also am looking around for a good tube amp......in the Marshall line if you can afford it I would suggest the Vintage Modern 50 watt head..( I think someone else also mentioned that one)...it's in a decent price range( seen them for 700 used) and it's a good all around amp for sounds...can go from Son House to AC/DC sounds....and 50 watt can more than keep up to a band setting and small clubs.

I think there IS such a thing as the "Marshall sound", but what is it in YOUR head?

In MY head, there is the Clapton style JTM sound, or the classic crunch and roar of AC/DC or Van Halen sound, (JMP?) or the searing metal sound of Priest or Maiden with a JCM.

Most of this comes from what I have heard (or think I hear) on records or at concerts. AND, these are all amps of at least 50 watts. El-34 tubes into Celestian speakers. And, the "tone" comes from cranking them up LOUD. I have owned some of these Marshalls, and they DO sound like that. Only problem is, to MY ears, they don't sound good at what I would call sensible sound levels. They don't do that "thang". Some of it is also the sound of the cab, and that bottom end and chug of real air being moved.

Short pause to remember that Jim Marshall IS (RIP) the father of loud, and also to note that many enthusiast and tone masters use attenuators and such to good effect to get a lot of it.

Thats sort of the bad news part. The good news part is that there are a lot of replications, and even Marshall themselves do some pretty convincing replications for that "sound". You can get it in a pedal, or even a SS device. They are only replications, but that don't mean it can't still be fun or enjoyable. And sometimes, what is on a recording is actually a replication as well.

am I just about as well off with what I've got unless I'd get into the higher dollar Marshall's?

Aster

I admit to being an "amp snob", but the truth is you really only get what you pay for. There is a big difference between a high quality amp and a cheaper amp. I think that for the most part, buying a lot of cheaper amps to get a lot of different sounds is mostly a step sideways, and doesn't really improve things. If you have some high dollar guitars, you don't get to hear but a taste of what they REALLY can sound like.

A Blues Deluxe is pretty good amp for the money. The cheaper Vox's and Fenders reissues get some of what the real ones get. But they fall short of a lot of tones the real ones get. In a lot of cases, sometimes a high quality reproduction of something like a Tweed Fender or a Vintage Deluxe Reverb, or a so-called "boutique" design will allow you to get MORE sounds and tones than a bunch of budget type amps.

I say try out the Class 5. For what you're up to, I think you'll find it very satisfying (and I think it is more versatile than it gets credit for here or elsewhere on the web, but then with so many disagreeing with me, it might just be me...).

Of course there's still the lack of spring reverb. I just ordered a cheap Chinese reverb pedal I am hoping will make up for that with my Class 5 and my AC4 TV's (I have the new Mini, as well as the 8 and 10 inch models). At least it'll hopefully do when I'm not using the Blues Deluxe and the 65 DRRI.

I admit to being an "amp snob", but the truth is you really only get what you pay for. There is a big difference between a high quality amp and a cheaper amp. I think that for the most part, buying a lot of cheaper amps to get a lot of different sounds is mostly a step sideways, and doesn't really improve things. If you have some high dollar guitars, you don't get to hear but a taste of what they REALLY can sound like.

A Blues Deluxe is pretty good amp for the money. The cheaper Vox's and Fenders reissues get some of what the real ones get. But they fall short of a lot of tones the real ones get. In a lot of cases, sometimes a high quality reproduction of something like a Tweed Fender or a Vintage Deluxe Reverb, or a so-called "boutique" design will allow you to get MORE sounds and tones than a bunch of budget type amps.

Do you mean that a Vox AC15 is a "cheaper" Vox? I didn't really hear much difference in the AC15 and the AC30 except I almost couldn't handle the 30 as it was too dang loud & heavy too. I know my AC15C1 is not exactly like the same 15 that the Beatles played, but isn't it really pretty close in sound? The Blues Deluxe was over $800 discounted. How much do you need to spend on an amp for it not to be a budget amp? Not arguing, just axing!

Also the sound I'm thinking of would be older British invasion stuff and maybe the Pretenders or Blondie for newer (still old) music. Weren't they Marshall users?

Aster

The Haze Combo is a greaat amp,one of my jamming buddies has one and I`ve played through it and was really very impressed by the lush blues tones that I could coax from it.For blues,clean playing and classic rock it`s the cat`s meow but if you want the fire-breathing metal tones you`ll have to either go to another amp or buy a good metal pedal.

If I were in the market for a Marshall amp these days,I`d give used JCM 8-900s a good looking at.The JCM 800 series were great for classic and 70s and early 80s style rock music and blues whereas the 900s are better suited for really raunchy metal tones.You can get some JCM 800 50 and 100W combos for pretty reasonable costs these days and the heads are cheaper still but need a suitable cabinet to use with the head.

A word of caution about the 100W amps:Marshall 100W amps are very hard to get distortion and overdriven tones out of because they have to be cranked up to almost the pain threshold before they start to break up unless you pick a Master Volume like the 2203 or a Split Channel such as the 2210 with reverb and

"Boost" both activated by a footswitch.A 40 or 50 W Marshall should be plenty loud except for the absolutely huge venues.

I wouldn't have any apprehensions about buying a used Marshall that was made in the U.K. because they are pretty well bullet-proof and none of my 3 have given a minute's worth of trouble,yet one of them dates back to 1971 and is still being used by my nephew gigging every week.Happy Hunting and I hope that you find a beauty.

Do you mean that a Vox AC15 is a "cheaper" Vox? I didn't really hear much difference in the AC15 and the AC30 except I almost couldn't handle the 30 as it was too dang loud & heavy too. I know my AC15C1 is not exactly like the same 15 that the Beatles played, but isn't it really pretty close in sound? The Blues Deluxe was over $800 discounted. How much do you need to spend on an amp for it not to be a budget amp? Not arguing, just axing!

Also the sound I'm thinking of would be older British invasion stuff and maybe the Pretenders or Blondie for newer (still old) music. Weren't they Marshall users?

Aster

I think most of the BEST of the best amps in quality peak out at 2300-3200$ roughly. Victoria, Carr, Kendrick, stuff like that.

It seems kinda spendy at first to dip your foot in the water, but the irony is that a lot of people will easily spend that on a guitar, or multiple guitars, but spend a fraction of the money on an amp or amps. And the other thing is that the limit on the BEST of the best guitars can get REALLY expensive, but the best amps don't seem to do that.

You really have to play some...that can be a problem, because the big box stores like Guitar Center just don't have amps like these. And it is very much like a guitar, that you have to PLAY the amp to know if it gets to you. But rather than it being a case of an individual guitar, it more has to do with the amp circuit, wattage, speakers, etc.

Once you find a local source that stocks the GOOD stuff, you can shoot for the moon, because like I say over and over, the efferts to get the BEST will only cost so much.

In regards to the VOX stuff, I am not an expert. It isn't really a AC15 vs AC30 issue, it is a an amp construction issue. More like the handwired vs regular production issue. I think you understand a lot of it: the production models (or "budget" if you prefer) are not built to the same QUALITY as the origonals that the Beatles used, but the are meant to have the same overall tone and sound. Same thing with the Fender Amps. You problably have an idea that the reissue DELUXE REVERB does not sound as good as the origonals...it isn't really just the circuit design, it is the quality and effort that goes into it. Most of it isn't an old vs new thing, it is a cost thing. There are many reproductions that sound as good as the old ones, it just has to do with the effort and the COST to build them as well.

In the end it comes down to the sound your looking for, try out the Class 5 or the new 1 watter model in the Marshall line.

You did say in your OP that you wanted the "Marshall sound", try a Marshall in the store and if you like it then you keep it, if not try another model Marshall.

Go to a Guitar Center or a Sam Ash where they have lot's of stuff to try out, and take your guitar when you do.

If your the adventurous type I would recommend a "Clone" kit of a classic Marshall circuit. The 18 Watt is very cool. I built a metro amp JTM 45 clone and absolutely love it. You could also start with a Class 5 and use it as a base to modify it into other MArshall circuit designs and see what you like. I used to change out all my 6550's and change the bias circuit to support EL34's on all my 50 and !00 watt JMP's. Now I prefer the 6550's and Love the KT66's with a Tube rectifier and lower plate voltage....

Anyhow... The class 5 is cool and I have one I noodle around with. I wouldn't say it is a "Classic" Marshall tone but as stated above it is a "Marshall" tone. It is single ended Class A ( more like a Vox ) Not much similar in the preamp or Poweramp of the classic circuit. Like I said it could be a starting point to modding! msp_biggrin.gif

Andy

Archived