Gibson Brands Forums

Prom

dem00n

I did not go to MY Prom, but I took my GF to hers the year after I graduated. I wasn't dating her before then.

I don't think going to your Prom is mandatory for the High School experience, but if you have the opportunity, I think it is good to take up on it.

It's mostly for the girls. If you have a GF or a girl you are dating, THEY want you to take them. If you have a friend who wants to go, and it would mean something to her, you do her good by asking her. If you can hang, it is a step toward being a man. Or should I say 'man skills"? [thumbup]

The worst that can happen is you have a terrible time. But these things happen. The best that can happen is you have the time of your life and some great memories, and maybe do the same for someone else.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the Prom both my Jr. and Sr. years. Had a great time... different girl to each; both were very beautiful young ladies. I had a blast both times, and they were both very different dates.

Of course... we didn't have crappy bands... we always had a local band comprised of students from our school, so the music was really excellent.

I was too cool for school. There's no way I would have went to anything as preppy, mall boy, establishment as a prom! DAMN THE MAN! I dropped out before I ever got to a Senior year let alone a prom. The goal was to stop wasting time in school and focus on getting my metal band signed to a label. The problem was we sucked. I spent most of my time working, supporting my loser friends, cruising the Ft. Lauderdale strip and getting stoned and drunk.

I was keeping it real!

I was a moron. ](*,)

Well, I bet you have some cool campfire stories, IF YOU CAN REMEMBER THEM!!! lol.

After reading your experiences I now consider you a real rocker as legitimate as any rock star!

Well, I bet you have some cool campfire stories, IF YOU CAN REMEMBER THEM!!! lol.

After reading your experiences I now consider you a real rocker as legitimate as any rock star!

Ha! Buddy.... if you only knew. [crying]

I never attended any of the dances at my own school and that included the "prom",we didn't call it prom back then because at the time prom was only a big thing in the U.S. and has only been big here and refered to as "prom" in the past 15-20 years.When I was in high school we had a denominational school system with a Catholic School Board,a Protestant and largely interdenominational school board,a Seventh Day Adventist School Board and a Pentacostal school Board. I went to a "protestant" school but when I was in high school all my girlfriends with the exception of one were Catholic so I just attended dances and played out at Catholic schools.

I didn't regret missing out on my "prom" one bit because on our prom night I was playing at a dance at one of the "Catholic" high schools and getting paid what was good money at the time.

None of that matters to me. I really couldn't care less. I'm a straight guy if that's what you're getting at, but I'm not interested in the drama or the stupidity that goes along with being in a relationship.

It's cool; I was being inclusive, not insinuating anything.

Regarding relationships, you are still in high school. Way too young to have a steady. You should be playing the field. That still doesn't mean you can't take a girl out for a night and have a good time.

Regarding relationships, you are still in high school. Way too young to have a steady. You should be playing the field. That still doesn't mean you can't take a girl out for a night and have a good time.

Hes right, go out there and get some beaver. Play it safe...then ******* run for the hills!

You could say that I'm not exactly the ladies first choice when they're looking for a prom date. I'm your typical geek that cares more about his computer/guitars than any girl. I've got a great track record too: Number of girls dated during my 4 years of high school - 0; number of books read, guitars acquired, science documentaries watched, and computers built - too many to count. msp_cool.gif

I care far more about getting sh!t done and learning new things, than wasting time hanging out with some girl that I may or may not even like.

Sure did went to Junior and Senior Proms - the Senior prom I ended up going twice - At two schools because i was dating a girl from another school thankfully they were a week apart and we had a total blast at all three proms especially the two as a senior. I was actually more looking forward to my girlfriends prom just because she was so excited. it turned out very surreal though because she was selected as Homecoming Queen at her prom and I was chosen as part of the homecoming court at mine (never understood what it was myself maybe tied for King or first runner up or something, It was such a large class they had a court of three guys and three girls and they treated us all exactly the same. we still joke about it at reunions even after 30 years arguing about who was the King and Queen and who were the runner-ups ) so it got fairly confusing but it was still a blast and the parties were pretty wild with two of them at two school (her school just happened to be our biggest rival in football) it was a busy week and being a guy luckily I only needed one tux just changed between a vest and a cumber-bun in colors to match her dresses. My poor date had to get two dresses she was not about to wear the same dress to two different proms i guess in girl world that just can't be allowed to happen.

I know some people hated high school but I actually enjoyed it a lot. I was living on my own by my junior year I played football, Baseball and guitar and got good enough grades that by my senior year it was mostly art classes so it was a lot of fun. I could have graduated early but it would have messed up my scholarship so I still went almost full time glad i did.

Pretty much the only regrets I have in life are the things I passed on and didn't try!

You could say that I'm not exactly the ladies first choice when they're looking for a prom date. I'm your typical geek that cares more about his computer/guitars than any girl. I've got a great track record too: Number of girls dated during my 4 years of high school - 0; number of books read, guitars acquired, science documentaries watched, and computers built - too many to count. msp_cool.gif

I care far more about getting sh!t done and learning new things, than wasting time hanging out with some girl that I may or may not even like.

I'm a geek as well, my 4 computers keep me company a lot. Yet, I'm not afraid. Come on, you're giving us a bad name by proving a stereotype.

I almost didn't bother to open this thread up...but wow...it's actually a pretty good thread.....

I did not go to my prom, (we had Junior Prom and Senior Ball), but I didn't go to either.

I went to a LOT of Proms/Balls as a member of the band....and I did take my GF to her Senior Ball, (GF = Groupie), as she lived in a different city.

Speaking of records..... I was caught "breaking & entering" as a kid..... was TOTALLY innocent, but it did give me a "record" which was expunged when I hit 18...

but I was arrested for "assault with a deadly weapon" for flipping open a switchblade in a guy's face who was going the hit me because I had long hair, (this was in 1966).

Got cornered by 5 football players in Alameda at a frat dance, and they backed me up against a wall..... one guy said, "I'm going to count to three then hit you in the face as hard as I can." and then another

guy said, "And then I'M going to hit you right after." (all because I had long hair).

When he got to "two" I reached in my Levi's jacket pocket and pulled out a switchblade and flicked it open in his face....they decided that this little hippy guy wasn't a good target for their drunken pranks!

But I did end up spending the rest of the evening in the Alameda City jail.

Actually I think the point about the prom thing as contributing to growing up - at least for us guys - likely is correct.

My last two years of high school were in an all-boy boarding school, and as I noted before, we pretty much voted with our feet against having a prom my senior year.

I think that the good thing from that school was a great batch of classes and great opportunities for sports and unofficial activities such as playing music. The less good thing was that there was for me functionally no interaction with girls my own age.

Regardless of the other comments above about where one's compass might point, boys and girls have to live in variations of close proximity for the rest of their lives, and school experiences should play a major role in that.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty certain I would have gone to a prom were I to have been still back on the Northern Plains and that it would have contributed to "growing up."

m

Spent my senior year in Military School... Junior year hi-jinks and my Dad took a job overseas.

My girlfriend was 75 miles away so I didn't go. Girlfriend's Mom broke us up that summer.

No switchblades were involved in this prom.

I was too cool for school. There's no way I would have went to anything as preppy, mall boy, establishment as a prom! DAMN THE MAN! I dropped out before I ever got to a Senior year let alone a prom. The goal was to stop wasting time in school and focus on getting my metal band signed to a label. The problem was we sucked. I spent most of my time working, supporting my loser friends, cruising the Ft. Lauderdale strip and getting stoned and drunk.

I was keeping it real!

I was a moron. ](*,)

My Brotha from Anotha Motha B)

Did. No regrets. Glad I got a date to go. Wanted the experience of going to prom. Her? Probably. She broke up with me that summer. I was brokenhearted. Not any more. Glad I'm not with her. She turned, uh, "loose". Cool story, huh? [smile]

Now, I'm a teacher. Would be creepy if I went [unsure]

Too bad you didn't find out she was "loose" before she broke up with you. [tongue]

Sorry my friend, I couldn't help myself. [blush]

Too bad you didn't find out she was "loose" before she broke up with you. [tongue]

Sorry my friend, I couldn't help myself. [blush]

haha, right after we broke up she went wild.... Her best friend told me she broke up with me because I wouldn't make a move on her [confused]. Lies! As I recall, she's the one that asked me out in the first place. And then she asked to go "steady", and I was fine with it. We stayed together for 6 months until I went to college, and then she broke it off. She knew I wasn't going to be going out with a high school chick (she was going to be in 11th grade) when I was in a college full of women, so she did me in before she got hurt. I cried, but SOON got over it, lol.

I think prom is a contest to see who has the richest parents.

It's a congregation of people who lack the ability to think for themselves, as far as I'm concerned.

It's about who's the prettiest, who spends the most money. It's totally superficial. There's nothing swell about it.

I didn't go, nor did I attend a single high school dance.

The reason being, well, frankly I can think of far more interesting things I'd rather do with my time.

I think prom is a contest to see who has the richest parents.

It's a congregation of people who lack the ability to think for themselves, as far as I'm concerned.

It's totally superficial. There's nothing admirable about it. It's about who's the prettiest, who's the handsomest, who spends the most money, and the latter is the only reason it exists as a cultural norm. People make money off of it.

I didn't go, nor did I attend a single high school dance.

The reason being, well I can think of far more interesting things I can do with my time.

Wow that's a jaded view. What can I expect? You didn't go.

Here is how I viewed going and enjoyed the experience. Gather round the fire.

So my prom was actually last year and man it feels like yesterday.

I had been with my girlfriend of the time for almost three years at this point and for her it was special so why not go if it meant something to someone I cared about? All in all it was almost a salute to my little gang more than it was the girl. Yes I centered my night around making sure she had the best time of her life and she did however the time with my brothers will always mean more. (Seeing as though she and I are no longer together.) From the time we went and got the tuxes fitted, laughing at one of our guys because of the pink he had to match looked hilarious on him. To one of the others dancing like nobody was watching. To looking at each other at the end of the night, knowing no one of us were seeing any action and going "Guys this just puts a stamp on our time together in high school." And it was awesome.

We never liked our high school and most of the people pissed us off. However after a while we realized that we were no better, just different. It seems like some on here real look down upon those around them. That doesn't make you any better than them. Remember that.

IF you spent your high school years behind a computer and around a guitar, that's awesome and I applaud you for doing what you want to do.

However, if you enjoyed your time with your friends and around the high school, then by all means go. It was a blast and something I won't ever forget.

A lot of you have a really jaded view. I am not saying I am right and you are wrong but what I am saying is that not everyone has the same experience. For the most part, if you somewhat enjoyed your time in high school then go. If you hate it and all it stands for, than maybe not so much.

Its not about looking good or spending a lot of money. Its about having a great time with your friends and maybe a date.

Archived