Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Going Public

I don't know what Fender did to go in the hole so bad. I'll say one thing, the quality of their American made instruments hasn't suffered, at all; and their Mexican line is also excellent. Maybe a little too excellent.

I don't know what Fender did to go in the hole so bad. I'll say one thing, the quality of their American made instruments hasn't suffered, at all; and their Mexican line is also excellent. Maybe a little too excellent.

Not much difference between the MIM and MIA line...like seriously. Your really just paying for the MIA when your buying a MIA Fender.

I can tell the difference and I did not have to pay much more for my American Stratocaster when I got it brand new.

Now if the difference is not discernible to you then by all means buy the cheaper one.

Having said that a lot of folks say there is no difference between the nicer Squiers and a MIM or MIJ sooo...

But on the subject, I am sure Fender is hurting because you can make a copy buying parts so easily, I always wondered how long before I caught up with them.

Example, (based on what I see, correct me if I am wrong)

La Cabronita came out as a Custom Shop model, "new" thing everybody wants one and they start making copies for cheap, there are a ton of guys with home-made Cabronitas out there...now a little later Fender is coming out with an affordable production model TV Jones pickups and all, not sure if made in Japan, Mexico or China. Is it too little too late for this model? we'll see.

Not much difference between the MIM and MIA line...like seriously. Your really just paying for the MIA when your buying a MIA Fender.

The rhythm guitarist in my band has a MIM Jazzmaster that is so awesome.. I'd think it was American if I didn't know it's MIM.

My Tele is an American Standard and I think it's kinda a cut above the MIM line in general, but I bought it used.

Ultimately I think there are good Fenders made in Mexico or Made in USA ... and average ones from each too. I have played great MIM Fenders and so-so MIM Fenders - same with the USA made ones. I don't think I have played any bad MIJ ones. My two oldest Fenders are Japanese and they are really quite good, but they don't do those anymore I think.

As for Fender stock - I might buy it, but I'll wait for the price to drop after the IPO. [biggrin]

Ultimately I think there are good Fenders made in Mexico or Made in USA ... and average ones from each too. I have played great MIM Fenders and so-so MIM Fenders - same with the USA made ones. I don't think I have played any bad MIJ ones. My two oldest Fenders are Japanese and they are really quite good, but they don't do those anymore I think.

As for Fender stock - I might buy it, but I'll wait for the price to drop after the IPO. [biggrin]

Although my MIM Strat is my baby (aside from my SG!), my favorite Fenders are the MIJ models. Fender would've went bankrupt in the 80s if it weren't for those guitars saving their ***** during what I like to call the "dark period": The period between the post-CBS years and the buyout that saved them (1980-1987). For a short time, the only Fenders you could buy new were MIJ.

Looks like Fender's going big money.

From what I understand the MIJ Fenders have gone up in value due to their craftsmanship. I too have a MIJ and it is one of the best Fenders I ever owned or played

There was a post in a similar thread here some months ago that described the difference between the two as so:

MIM Fender = Made in Mexico by Mexicans

MIA Fender = Made in California by Mexicans ...

Too funny!

Actually, isn't the biggest difference between a MIM and MIA a slight increase in the quality of the electronics/hardware used and the final QC inspection?

I have a hard time telling the difference in them as far as feel/tone go, but if you hand me an Epiphone and a Gibson, it's a lot easier to tell them apart.

I actually feel and hear a big difference between my MIM and MIA one. I don't know if the price difference is justified.

Just sayin'

Agreed. I've owned both and although my MIMs were fine guitars in their own right when compared to my 52 tele or my Clapton strat well they really don't measure up in any category.

Too funny!

Actually, isn't the biggest difference between a MIM and MIA a slight increase in the quality of the electronics/hardware used and the final QC inspection?

I have a hard time telling the difference in them as far as feel/tone go, but if you hand me an Epiphone and a Gibson, it's a lot easier to tell them apart.

Yeah, the hardware is crappier, the body is made up of more pieces, the polyester finish is much cheaper than the polyurethane finish found on Americans, etc.

After watching their tour, I was actually shocked that most of their hardware is in fact made in-factory.

Yeah, the hardware is crappier, the body is made up of more pieces, the polyester finish is much cheaper than the polyurethane finish found on Americans, etc.

After watching their tour, I was actually shocked that most of their hardware is in fact made in-factory.

Yes, yes, and yes........Good post......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ...My MIM Fenders are eye candy now....My MIA and MIC Fenders are played and actually used....

Interesting - according to the link, Fender depends on 'troubled retailer' Guitar Center for 16% of sales. That's a lot of guitars. I think the article has it about right - the stock will be priced too high for 'regular' investors, and people will become shareholders for other reasons - if you own a Fender guitar or amp, the whole thing has a very different significance than if you don't.

On the other hand we have sort of 'been here before', with CBS cutting Fender costs etc in the late 60s for the sake of their shareholder dividends.

Now if they put a few shares in with each new MIA Fender....

Yep, Fender should have extended the licensing for the MIJs (made in Japan). Frankly the MIjs are the best Fenders (Strat) I have ever played and I own a 1989. I have a MIA tele that is no slouch and a MIM Tele Thinline that is a great player too, but my MIJ Strat is noticably superior in tone.

There is a reason why it is difficult to buy a Japanese guitar straight from Japan at least for USA customers. Japanese workmanship and quality control is the best in the world IMHO.

The other major guitar manufactures do not want Japanese competition. Not too many MIjs found in guitar centers or Sam Ash and if you find one it is used.

Regarding Fender offering, timing couldn't be worse in current economic conditions, i see another facebook like debacle coming.

There is a reason why it is difficult to buy a Japanese guitar straight from Japan at least for USA customers. Japanese workmanship and quality control is the best in the world IMHO.

The other major guitar manufactures do not want Japanese competition. Not too many MIjs found in guitar centers or Sam Ash and if you find one it is used.

The Japanese guitars were made for one reason only, and that was to cannabilize the Asian counterfeit market, and no other reason. None of those guitars were to be sold here, just as Orville by Gibson is not sold here. The idea that there was some buncha suits clustered around onea the new Jap Strats all making pledges to keep them outta the US because they are "so GOOD!" is just myth. I played them then, I play them now whenever I see one. Same as Fedner ever was, some are great, and some are not-so-great.

rct

Guest farnsbarns

The Japanese guitars were made for one reason only, and that was to cannabilize the Asian counterfeit market, and no other reason. None of those guitars were to be sold here, just as Orville by Gibson is not sold here. The idea that there was some buncha suits clustered around onea the new Jap Strats all making pledges to keep them outta the US because they are "so GOOD!" is just myth. I played them then, I play them now whenever I see one. Same as Fedner ever was, some are great, and some are not-so-great.

rct

Ahh, reality, we meet again! Top post!

The reason Fenders were made in Japan for a few years, is they were under license by Fender to build guitars for them in the 80s because the quality went to hell under CBS. It has nothing to do with counterfeiting. After the old Fender management repurchased Fender from CBS they gradually stopped manufacturing in Japan and pulled the license.

Sure the Japanese could make an exact copy (if not better) than Fender, but the Fender logo was not on the headstock. Now China is a different story.The Chinese blatantly copy Gibsons, Martins, Fenders and put the American's company name on the headstock. I am sure you have seen alot of posts here on Chinese counterfeiting.

Japan cannot get away with what China can, they operate under different rules. Now I have seen and still see Yamahas for example that are based 99% on a Stratocaster, with a slight headstock modification, but Yamaha is on the headstock not Fender.

The reason Fenders were made in Japan for a few years, is they were under license by Fender to build guitars for them in the 80s because the quality went to hell under CBS. It has nothing to do with counterfeiting. After the old Fender management repurchased Fender from CBS they gradually stopped manufacturing in Japan and pulled the license.

Sorry Bro dude, I only want to argue to the point of history being accurate. The quality of american guitars made under Columbia management had absolutely nothing to do with guitars made in Japan. Fake Fenders made money over there, because real honest-to-goodness fenders cost too much to get in Asia. Fender took the problem of counterfeiting to their house and won, because suddenly they could get a Fender there for their kinda money and not for our money plus tariffs and taxes and trade stuff piled on it. So BAM! counterfeiting went down dramatically.

Nothing whatsoever to do with guitars here. I lived it, lots of people did, I remember what it was, and I don't care what the internet says it was.

And, it was to be Tokai that made them for Fender, but they changed their mind for whatever reason.

rct

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the MIM are very good. The Roger Waters Precision for one, is excellent. On the standard basses however, the American Standard Basses are finished a bit better than the MIM Standard Basses.

Archived