Gibson Brands Forums

First Zeppelin Song You Learned

BIGBENDS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kashmir and then probably Stairway

Ok, so here's a story for you. We're playing this big art festival a few years ago, and as I was coming down the stage steps after our set, the producer of the two music stages is waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs, and says "Are you going over to the other stage to see Ben Lacy?". I said "who is Ben Lacy?". When the guy that hires you says you ought to go over to the other stage to hear an artist, the best thing to do is just follow him over there.

So my wife and I spent the next hour standing in the wings listening to this guy and scratching our heads. In fact, after a few songs we went out and sat in the audience because I wanted a full frontal view on what the hell he was doing. We have gone out and seen him since, and his show is incredible. When ever I hear talk about Zep, this is what I think of. Here's his take on Kashmir.

Just look at the expressions on the faces of the rest of the players on that stage, priceless. He seems to play a lot of colleges and art festival type stuff. If you ever have a chance to see him, DO IT!

Oh, I forgot to add, he's one of the nicest and funniest guys you'll ever meet.

Ok' date=' so here's a story for you. We're playing this big art festival a few years ago, and as I was coming down the stage steps after our set, the producer of the two music stages is waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs, and says "Are you going over to the other stage to see Ben Lacy?". I said "who is Ben Lacy?". When the guy that hires you says you ought to go over to the other stage to hear an artist, the best thing to do is just follow him over there.

So my wife and I spent the next hour standing in the wings listening to this guy and scratching our heads. In fact, after a few songs we went out and sat in the audience because I wanted a full frontal view on what the hell he was doing. We have gone out and seen him since, and his show is incredible. When ever I hear talk about Zep, this is what I think of. Here's his take on Kashmir.

Just look at the expressions on the faces of the rest of the players on that stage, priceless. He seems to play a lot of colleges and art festival type stuff. If you ever have a chance to see him, DO IT!

Oh, I forgot to add, he's one of the nicest and funniest guys you'll ever meet.[/quote']

Wow, Larry... Thanks for that!! I felt like I was there and loving every minute of it!!

I think the first song I learned was actually Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, but I'd been playing riffs from other songs before that. My favorites are still Black Dog and Over the Hills and Far Away, and I think the intro section of Over the Hills was one of the first things I ever learned to play. I learned Over the Hills and Tangerine around the same time, but Babe I'm Gonna Leave You was definitely the first whole song I learned to play.

"Black Dog" on my Les Paul and then parts of "Stairway to Heaven" on my Takamine 12-string acoustic.

I'm hoping to learn:

"Bring It On Home"

"Living Loving Maid/Heartbreaker"

"D'Yer Mak'er"

"Going to California"

"Black Mountainside [Extended Instrumental]"

"How Many More Times"

...sometime in the near future.

I think their deep cuts are the best to be honest. My friend was kind enough to lend me his 10-disc studio BOX SET. If you haven't listened to it yet, GET IT. It's the one with the steel structure of the zeppelin pictured around the whole outside. These remasters are sonically FAR SUPERIOR to any mixing I have heard of the band. It was great discovering them, album after album, all the way through, the way it was *meant* to be heard.

At 23, I've pretty much given up on my generation's music, but the tide has been turning for the last 5 years or so. The melodic stuff is still being kept alive in Europe and Japan and kids are starting to pick up on it again!

Thanks for the replies everybody. Keep 'em coming. Firstly I have to thank L5Larry for the video link to Ben Lacy. That was absolutely mesmerizing. He's great! That's enough to make Page scratch his head. I had a feeling that a lot of us would have learned a variety of different Zeppelin songs. I'm glad it brought up some good memories for some of us older players. For you younger players just learning Zeppelin on the guitar or bass, keep learning it. It opened up a whole world of possibilities on guitar and bass for me and I think it will get your creative juices flowing.

PS: R9, You know. Fred Zeppelin. I have all his albums. By the way, which one's Pink?

Archived