Gibson Brands Forums

"The Beatles!"

MrNylon

I was 4 years old and was facinated by the fact that all my older girl cousins were squealing around the tv. I remember thinking Paul and George were the main singers because they were shown harmonizing together throughout most of All My Loving.

The next day my Father came home with Meet The Beatles and within a month I had a drum set.

They were so huge and such a large influence on me being a musician I can't imagine what life would have been like without them.

Every new song that came on the radio seemed to be better than the last and they were my music teachers so to speak. Thanks boys.

No boy band pop was manufactured with hired songwriters, musicians and producers. Beatles were a real band that worked their asses off to make it.

AMEN, to that! There's a book, out...that shows their "schedule" for the years they were touring!

"Eight Days A Week," Indeed! ("A Hard Days Night" as well)... [biggrin]

It's amazing, they stayed as sane, and down to earth as they did. Of course, that kind of success

creates it's own energy source, for the artist(s) and fans, alike. But still...you almost get worn

out, just reading what they did! Never mind, all the creativity they showed, behind the scenes, and

in their music/records. Truly Amazing Band, to this day! And, truly "one of a kind!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

And boy band pop was born!

Boy band pop is what we see today, commercial product. The Beatles were a departure from the corporate rock of the fifties and opened up the door for bands who wrote and performed their own material. Boy band pop came much later.

Boy band pop is what we see today, commercial product. The Beatles were a departure from the corporate rock of the fifties and opened up the door for bands who wrote and performed their own material. Boy band pop came much later.

Like in 1966 - Screen Gems' and Kirshner's. Monkees. . . . B)

. . .

And boy band pop was born!

The Beatles were a real band that worked their asses off to make it. They endured the clubs in Hamburg. Most bands nowadays would give up and go home.

Beatles songs are also very hard to play and sing (at least for me). The harmonies are very complex, and I can't play a lot of George Harrison solos.

Boy bands don't evolve after every album.

Tonight I have a gig, and my band does "Slow Down" (albeit a really heavy version with wild guitar solos)

This one's for John, Paul, George, Ringo, and Mr. Sullivan.

That's one of my favorite's of their "Covers!" I like "Bad Boy," too!

And, their version of "Twist and Shout," of course!

CB

That's one of my favorite's of their "Covers!" I like "Bad Boy," too!

And, their version of "Twist and Shout," of course!

CB

I always thought they did great covers.

Rush used to do "Bad Boy" (from their club days thru Neil's first tour with the band in support of the first album). Alex would do a solo right after (which I do right after "Slow Down"!), and they kinda did to that what we do to "Slow Down", so playing it makes it that more special to me.

I was 4 years old and was facinated by the fact that all my older girl cousins were squealing around the tv. I remember thinking Paul and George were the main singers because they were shown harmonizing together throughout most of All My Loving.

The next day my Father came home with Meet The Beatles and within a month I had a drum set.

They were so huge and such a large influence on me being a musician I can't imagine what life would have been like without them.

Every new song that came on the radio seemed to be better than the last and they were my music teachers so to speak. Thanks boys.

I was 4 too. (Cookieman you and I are the same age and isn't your birthday now or very close?)

My Mom - a French woman who lived through the war as a teenager said, "It's jungle music". My dad who was also watching said, "their hair is too long, but you kids like it so have fun". I can remember very few times at that age. That was a real biggie.

I just watched the screen say John, sorry girls, he's married. I totally forgot about that. How funny.

The first "boy band?" Based on what the screaming girls? Frank Sinatra was way ahead of the Fab Four for that. The whole screaming girl thing went way back.They knocked it out of the park that night! Tight harmonies, electric excitement , a fresh sound, and if you aren't old enough to remember that night, and the music we listened to before that night, you will never get it.There are few bands who made a debut that can actually be said to mark a change in pop music and culture, The Beatles are at the top of that list.

I'm not a big Beatles fan by any standard. I enjoy a lot of their songs, I think Rubber Soul and Revolver are pretty damn good, and I respect John Lennon as an idealist. I happen to look a little like him too, I'm told.

But what I really love about these guys is that they were so delightfully cheeky. They were the first "real" international super pop stars and they were punks [biggrin]

I was at a friends house (12 yrs old). His Italian Grandmother was visiting and she didn't speak much english. She was watching the Beatles on TV with the family and her son asked in Italian what she thought. She said the music was ok, but those were the ugliest girls she had ever seen. True story.

Comment: Big time Beatles fan here.

Beatles songs are also very hard to play and sing (at least for me). The harmonies are very complex, and I can't play a lot of George Harrison solos.

Amen to that. There was a thread on the Gretsch board months ago about Beatles songs and one guy pretty much nailed it when he said (paraphrasing) "Beatles songs only sound easy to play".

I watched this (and the other Sullivan shows) live with great interest. I was playing in a cover band at the time and we did all the Beatles stuff that was coming out.

Highlight of our "career" was when "Help" came out. Local theatre hired us to play cover songs from "Hard Day's Night" on stage before the Help film started. So, in a sense, you could say that we once opened for the Beatles LOL!

I have a old friend who actually did open for the Beatles! And they did a cover of one of his songs. Chan Romero had a hit in 1959 called Hippy Hippy Shake! Paul heard it while the guys were playing in Germany and covered it.Here is a link to Chan's website. A little known living rock and roll royalty, and a really good guy.http://www.rockabillyhall.com/ChanRomero1.html

Missed that night on American TV was living in Belgium at the time. Have a Beatles album cut before Ringo joined, and it is mostly covers. Had been hearing Beatles on the BBC since about '62 and when I returned to the US in '65 couldn't understand the big fuss about the Beatles. But reading the comments on this forum I realize better how they changed the music landscape. They were a hard working band - I saw them in a small club in Brussels, sweating out four sets. Writing their own lyrics and music was fairly groundbreaking as opposed to having professional tunesmiths write for them. Unfortunately they didn't have the staying power that the Stones or the Who had.

Archived