Gibson Brands Forums

Oasis Humidifier Users.. Must Read!!!!!

Towzend

Interesting article. I've used Oasis in my guitars for over 5 years and never had a problem. At the end of the humidification season I flush out the humidifiers making sure there is no gel beads left inside and let them air dry for a few days before I store them. When I use the humidifiers I use distilled water and when placing them between the strings I make sure I don't rub the strings against the body of the humidifier.I also check them every 4 to 5 days to see if they need refill. I've read leakage stories about every kind of commercial humidifier out there, I'm sure there are some with defects but I also think it's how you use and take care of them. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sound hole humidifiers always make me nervous.

Yes, Rod, Guitar + Water = Bummer, but Non-distilled water + dark wooden box = invite for nasty stuff to grow.

Hey Paul; like the avatar, esp the Gibson smoke stack. Here's one from 1941 when things were more hoppin' at 225 Parsons St, Kalamazoo: Too bad the logo over the door eventually got painted over:

GibsonParsonsSt3_zps3bfd2378.jpg

Looked up those humidifiers from Crafter and they look real nice with hygrometer built in, but with 7 acoutics that would be pretty expensive. Nice picture of factory 62burst, might have to print a copy for guitar room.

I've been using Oasis Humidifiers for years now, long enough that I can't remember just how many years since I bought my first one. I've always used distilled water in mine and let them sit out for a while each time I refill them just to check for leaks, which has yet to happen. If you wait too long before replenishing the water and the humidifier body gets too bent/twisted/shriveled up then there is a chance that the body material can wrap too tightly around the hardened beads, potentially causing a leak in that spot. That's basically misuse of the product. I've let mine get pretty low at times and in that situation I've let them sit out for a good long while after re-filling to make extra sure that I have not compromised the body material. No problems thus far.

The other thing I noticed is the nature of the site linked to in the original post. I can't bring myself to get too worked up over anything the owner of that site gets bent out of shape about. (And I'm guessing that his Father-In-Law truly does hate him.)

My Oasis humidifiers will remain in my guitars and I'm not going to be losing any sleep over it.

Can you put the guitar cases in a rack with the Oasis in the guitar, or do they need to sit flat?

I have most of my guitar cases stored flat, but I do have one case upright, leaning against the wall, just like it would in a rack. I use one of the Oasis units in that guitar as well with no problems and just like the rest, it's the kind suspended from the strings in the soundhole of the guitar.

Just one guy's experience of course.

Haven't seen this problem in mine but I'm going to watch extra close for it.

I've been happy also with the planet waves version... just a thing that holds a sponge. But it dries out pretty quickly.

My old house I had a house humidity control and I just kept that at 40-50% and no worries.

But here in NC even in the winter humidity isn't a huge concern, lowest I've seen our house is 37% or so.

I've been using Oasis humidifiers for about 5 years and know others who use them. I'm not aware of anyone having a single problem. When it needs to be replenished, do it before you play.

Any problems would be obvious before you put it back in the sound hole. Best guitar humidifier I've used by a longshot.

Makes me shiver at the though of a little bit o kit worth 3 or 4 bucks, can distroy a guitar worth 3 or 4,000 bucks!!! [scared]

It's a scary thought indeed.

Of course, there are people out there that choose not to change the oil filter on their automobiles often enough. It's a cheap part to replace, but when misused or abused, is also capable of causing a lot of financial grief at some point down the road.

Dampits if used properly are safe..

Planet waves makes a reasonably safe one too.

but the article makes good points,, you should humidify the case, not just the sound-hole.

I have a soap travel box with a bunch of holes drilled in the top and sides. I cut a sponge to fit, and that sits in the case up under the headstock

the RH of the case is around 50%

I know a lot of you also put a humidifier in the case, which is good,but i think its a waist of time having one

near the headstock, because when the case is clipped tightly shut, the padding all around the neck seals off the

rest of the guitar! it does on mine anyway, its quite tightly compressed in that area!

I have one near the heel of the guitar, its the only other space in there really..

I know a lot of you also put a humidifier in the case, which is good,but i think its a waist of time having one

near the headstock, because when the case is clipped tightly shut, the padding all around the neck seals off the

rest of the guitar! it does on mine anyway...

In some cases I use my Oasis humidifiers behind the headstock and in other cases between the storage compartment and guitar heel. I also use hygrometers in the soundholes to monitor the RH, and both ways work just fine.

I have used the Planet Wave humidifiers that have the sponge on the inside and hang from the strings. The good thing about this humidifier is the top comes off, the sponge comes out and after you wet it, you squeeze out the water so the sponge is still very wet but not dripping. I don't see how you can go wrong. I have never had one drip and I store my guitars in the cases on their side, not flat laying down (they would be a 1999 Martin HD-28V, 2007 Gibson J-45 TV, a 1948 Gibson LG-2, a 1960 Gibson LG-2, 2011 Taylor Grand Concert Sinker Redwood, and a 1986 Alarez-Yairi DY-45N).

I know a lot of you also put a humidifier in the case, which is good,but i think its a waist of time having one near the headstock, because when the case is clipped tightly shut, the padding all around the neck seals off the rest of the guitar! it does on mine anyway, its quite tightly compressed in that area!

True enough, yet If I leave the hydrometer in the area of the case where the body lies when I'm playing it, it does drop a few increments, but it's still usually around 46/47% seems some of it is getting down there

Archived