Gibson Brands Forums

Ghosts

zigzag

Caliman posted about UFOs, and it made me think about the possibilities of other weird phenomena. We haven't had this topic in a few years.

Watched an interview with Andea Perron, the author of a book that the movie, "The Conjuring," was based on. I love freaky movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiL6IU5oZFM

Whenever I heard a ghost story as a kid, I was always told that it was a true story to make it scarier. I have never seen a ghost, don't know anyone who has, and I don't know if I believe in them. I suspect that if I ever saw one, everybody I know would know about it (after I removed the excrement from my britches).

Things disappear in my house for no reason. My wife has been woken by what she thought was someone sitting on the end of the bed. I literally have heard someone coughing down one of the copper pipes in my place, only to discover that 50 years back, someone died of TB in my house. I don't give a cr*p that they are here, only wish they wouldn't move my stuff.

I believe in ghosts, but not the sort that float around like in cartoons and movies...

I think, in some instances, some people's energy is left behind. "Cold spots", etc. I believe that there are some souls that can't "cross-over" for whatever reason.

I have no proof, and I have never witnessed anything myself. But I've been told stories by some very down-to-earth and believable people that have left me to conclude that there are, in fact, "ghosts".

"Any such thing?"

Perhaps, but they kinda freak me out so I tend to block them.

But seriously. I think there is something going on there that has to do with the potential of that whole afterlife thing.

I'm not religious, but I am spiritual.

I think there may be an afterlife of some sorts,, and we are accountable for our actions somehow.

I just don't believe it is defined in any one religion.

Ghosts, angels, spirits,, I think perhaps it is possible.

And I think you have to want to allow them into your life before they make any sort of contact.

But they freak me out, so I don't want contact. So I block them.

So for that reason I have never experienced them in any way.

I will just wait and see when it's my turn

[wink]

I'm not religious. But I was an undertaker for 8 years and I really believe that something leaves the body when you die. I believe that ghosts are energy, just as we are. Like radio waves. our energy just moves about. I don't think they are conscious things. Just a sort of photo in time.

You have to remember. In the past we believed that the Earth was flat. That if you went over 30mph you'd suffocate. Lots of things that we believe have been disproven/proven over time. So if we believe in God (which there is less proof of than ghosts) we have to have an open mind over other things.

Somepeople say that dogs don't understand words. I disagree. It's also just been proven that dogs see in colour too.

Explain 'deja vu'. I've had it many times. I also saw 9/11 before it happened. But lucky for me I told someone. So, my proof is there.

There are things that we'll never know. So don't shun them just because we don't understand them.

I find it peculiar that some people believe in God/heaven/hell/the afterlife but do not believe in ghosts. Anyways, yes, they exist. One of my old high school friends had a haunted house. Lights would turn on/off, they would hear noises / a man talking, see a person's shadow every once in a while. They had one black cat but would also see it running around with a second black cat in the house. I would experience some of those things when I was over. His dad did some research and found that an old man had died of a heart attack something like 40/60 years (I can't remember now) in the house before they bought it. The article said the man's body wasn't discovered for a while and that his cat also died from starvation.

That's what I'm talking about, Tim!

That is also kinda where I was going with this thread. I think it is kinda contradictory to believe in ghosts without believing in God, or God without believing in ghosts. I did not want to steer this thread into a discussion about religion. (I was gonna leave that up to Caliman. [thumbup])

I also wanted someone to tell me: Yes, there are ghosts. I've seen them many times! (And not be yanking my chain.)

I generally don't believe in ghosts, spirits, afterlife etc. But I do have a part of me that keeps an opening for the possibility of such things. I know there some real life occurrences which do seem hard to explain. IF there are spirits, I would have a few questions I'd like answered;

1. Is a "ghost" the representation of some past life as they were at the moment they died? I mean, if some 90 year old, senile man dies, does his ghost remain the same but in spirit, or does he somehow regain the qualities he had as a younger man or even a child? If there is a ghost of Elvis, is it the fat Elvis that died in 1977 or a young, handsome man that the world saw in the 1950s?

2. When someone sees an apparition, (for example people claim to see images of Confederate or Union soldiers walking the fields of Gettysburg), how does the non animate accessories like uniforms, rifles, canteens etc. manifest themselves for our world to see? These things were never alive.

3. Some people make comments that their dead relatives are "watching over" them. OK. So eternity is a long time compared to our time here on Earth. So when my grandmother died in 1998, she began her time in the afterlife by keeping an eye on my mother and me. Then in 2003 my mom died, so my grandmother didn't have to "watch over" her in this life any longer. I'm still kicking, but I guess my grandmother still has enough interest in this world to keep an eye on me. Eventually myself and anyone else my grandmother cared about while she was here, will also be dead. So then can she finally start to ignore this world and get on with enjoying the afterlife for eternity, or does she still have to "watch over" this world? None of it makes sense to me. so I just figure when we are gone we are gone and that's it. I know it sounds kinda "bah humbug" but I can't see it being any other way.

Another thing I think happens, is some weird, improbable event happens and rather than attributing it to sheer coincidence, it gets classified as something spooky or supernatural. :-k

Take dreams for example. The odds that a dream I have today, actually coming true in real like are astronomical. But, with 7 billion people on Earth all having dreams every day, eventually someone somewhere will have a dream that by chance mimics an event in real life. To that person it seems like it was prophetic. I've had it occur to me, but I resist the urge to call it supernatural.

Here's a funny (kinda long) story that happened to me years ago, but to me it just points out how seemingly statistically impossible events do happen: Back in the 90s when my kids were still kids, I was with them in our house. They were watching some kids show on TV and I was on the phone with someone important. They were playing and being rowdy while I was trying to hear what the person on the phone was saying. I was getting angry because they wouldn't settle down and in a very exaggerated way I mouthed the words "I"M ON THE PHONE!"... well at that exact same moment a character on TV (I think it was a commercial) said the words "I'm on the phone" and the sound from the TV perfectly matched the movement of my lips. It could not have been lip synced any better. Both my kids eyes got so wide as they looked at me and then the TV and they just busted out laughing in disbelief. Of course this made me angrier until after I got off the phone and thought about the probability of those two things matching up at the exact same time in the exact same place. The odds are incalculable, but yet they happened by sheer chance. No supernatural force would waste it's time to effect such a meaningless coincidence.

Now I'm sure other strange, chance things occur that seem to have more effect on our lives, so the natural reaction is to believe it is something mystical when in fact it is sheer luck (or un-luck).

There are some pretty strange things that go on that defy logical explanation in terms of so-called ghosts etc. I think that there is something beyond our physical being that can remain after death,be it a soul or whatever you call it.A lot of parapsychological researchers think that there is something intangible that is part of people's make-up and there are many instances of people communicating with loved ones after their deaths.I have a very interesting book that takes a very objective look at the possibility of a spirit world as such and even divine intervention called "The Third Man Factor" by John Geiger and published by Penguin Books.One story recounted in the book is about the South Pole expedition in the early 20th century by Ernest Shackleton and his crew who were marooned on ice for months and finally Shackleton and 2 other crewmen took to a small rowboat and struck out for a whaling station hundreds of miles away for help as that was their only hope.All 3 of the men insisted that they felt a benevolent presence was with them during their most difficult and seemingly impossible situations and it wasn`t until years after that they all finally discussed it among themselves because each man felt that he was the only one that felt it and that the others may have thought that he was hallucinating.

There was another instance about a well known marine biologist who died in a diving accident and whose wife carried on his work.One day she was diving in a cave system and had lost the rope trail that she had towed behind her so that she could find her way back as there were about a half dozen submarine tunnels that branched out from the main cave that she was in but only one led back to the surface.She was very low on oxygen and didn`t have enough to get out of the cave if she made a wrong turn.All of a sudden her panic left her and she was filled with a calm feeling and she actually heard her husband`s voice as clearly as if he was right there and his voice guided her back to the surface when she was almost certainly could`ve been drowned herself.

This book contains many such instances that really defy explanation and really give you pause for thought about the existence of a "spirit world" or other astral plain or parallel universe or whatever you chose to call it.There will always be things that we will never find an answer to in this life and maybe in the next one-if there is such a thing- all our questions will be answered.

Have you guys ever seen that TV show where they don't find Big Foot? Every week they run through the woods or the swap and don't take pictures of Big Foot. That's a great show. PT Barnum would be proud. [thumbup]

Be carefull with this thread!!! I started one just like this about some ghost cats we had in CT that came with us when we moved to GA.The post got to around 4 or 5 pages but some members started getting into heaven and hell discusions and it was shut down.I guess that was why but I was never told if that was the reason. I found it very interesting while it lasted and yes we still have ghost cats in the house.

My Aunt's house had "Spirits!" My Mom even saw one, one night, when we

were visiting. It was a "misty," male "human" form, that was at the end

of her bed, looking at her. It then turned, and walked (not floated)

away. It was the only time, that she ever actually saw one. And she

swore, to the day she died, that it was NOT a "dream!" That house, has

a history of incidents, cold spots, footsteps heard (upstairs), when there

was no one, in the house, but my Aunt. Even I have heard those, and they

(seemingly) walked down the hall, toward the bathroom, flushed the toilet,

and walkd back to one of the bedrooms. I went upstairs, to see "who" was

there...and there was NO one. Although I've always wondered, about

ghosts, or "lost souls," that was the first time I'd actually experienced

an incident, that my Aunt and her friends had all experienced, many times,

before. All the incidents were benign, not harmful, or violent. Sometimes

oddly funny, or mischievous. But never harmful, towards anyone.

We all found out, later, that my Aunt's house, and the rest of her neighborhood,

is on an old "Indian Burial Ground!" OOOOEEEEEOOOO! [unsure] :unsure: [biggrin]

CB

I have a friend who rented a house he swore was haunted. He tells a very compelling story of how the ghost pushed him down the stairs once. Since I didn't experience it, I'm a bit skeptical, but I won't say it didn't happen. It's very real to him. I guess if I had to sum it up I'd say that I'd like to experience a ghost event first hand, but heretofore have not.

Dead, toilet flushing Indians... giving me goose bumps!

LOL...well, I don't know "who or what" it was, "Indian" or just

some previous tenant, in that house. But, it was really interesting,

to say the least! My Aunt said she came home, from work, several

times, and heard what she thought was a "party" going on, in her

house, and the minute she opened the door, all that "noise" stopped.

But, she found things out of place, and lights on, that weren't

when she left. Etc. Her neighbor, next door to the West, had so

many of those kinds of incidents, that they went to the trouble and

expense, to have their house "exorcised!" "Who You Gonna Call?!" [biggrin]

And, it worked!

Might be hard for some to believe, but it's a fact! Almost everyone in

that immediate area in question, has had some kind of incident, or "haunting."

Some, more than other's.

So...???

CB

Archived