Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson Has Serious Quality Control Issues AGAIN ! - Gibson Brands Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Has Serious Quality Control Issues AGAIN !

#21 User is offline   Farnsbarns 

• Antelope
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationGodstone, Surrey, England

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:09 AM

View Postkidblast, on 14 June 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

are you always this bigtoed or do you just save it for this forum?

I'm bigtoed. I have 2!
I'm not drunk, you're blurry.

Farns

#22 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:23 AM

WHAT still no photos? [confused]

#23 User is offline   american cheez 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

View Postkidblast, on 14 June 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

are you always this bigoted or do you just save it for this forum?

if it's true (not saying it is or isn't) it's not bigotry to point out something factual

#24 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

View Postamerican cheez, on 16 June 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

if it's true (not saying it is or isn't) it's not bigotry to point out something factual

not the first time he's taken shots at America/Americans, and clearly, as stated, this one mans opinion. he has no idea on how they approach their work.

but nice trolling Cheese.
/Ray

#25 User is offline   Mr. Gibson 

• Remember misery loves company
  • LocationThe land that time forgot

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

We're not feeling the love LarryUK 😢

#26 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

View PostLarryUK, on 14 June 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

You only have to look at the factory tours on YouTube. Gibson staff look lethargic and full of "we're American, which makes us the best" attitude. Then look at the factory tours for ESP or Chapman guitars. Most are the same factory, but there is so much pride. Then there is the corporate greed. More and more profit for less product.

What do workers look like in English guitar factories? Oh wait, they don't make guitars there. Even Chapman imports his lineup.

#27 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:42 AM

We just love that you all think enough of us americans that you expect perfection from us, flattering really. Do you apply the same standard for your electrics? Case closed lets move on these are all good people here.

Yes it can always be more prefect we get it. WE LOVE YOU! Hey do you have the freaking photos of this LP or what? Im calling this BS. [biggrin]

#28 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:56 AM

A photo is required to rank on Gibson QC....like this....................

Posted Image

Posted Image

Theres a QC issue with the poker chip....in fact!

[scared]

#29 User is offline   american cheez 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

i have to say, w/o the poker chip, that guitar still looks amazing

#30 User is offline   cody78 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

England vs America? Oh dear [thumbdn] Both countries have good points and both have bad. I'm English, but don't feel the need to start posting dumb comments here about either country.

Back to the guitar. Interesting someone mentioned the grain on original bursts not being perfect sometimes. Those guitars were never seen as Gibson's top of the line models back in the 50's and not quite as much care was put into them as many would believe. For example, look at the positions of the silk screens on the headstocks back then and you'll see some were way off. Wood chosen could be average or spectacular in terms of figure and/ or blemishes. It's only collectors who turned them into the holy grail of guitars. Yes bursts were great, but at the time archtops like the L5 were still considered Gibson's flagship models.

#31 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:55 AM

View Postamerican cheez, on 17 June 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

i have to say, w/o the poker chip, that guitar still looks amazing

thanks [thumbup] Its been being played for sure.

You know thinking about the last post I agree the LPs by 59 with a figured top finally became an intention of matching tops. The lps from 57 to 58 were a change from Gold Tops to various degrees of the wood showing so this became an after thought. This ranged from plain top, slightly figured to the inevitable intentional nicely matched tops by late 59+ I assume. When you consider the small amount produced I believe a better focus of the variety comes into play with 59 for example. I would go out on a limb and suggest the highly figured and closely matched top you see plentiful today with LPs were a very small percent in 59. Even as this later became a price point today variance is still unavoidable.

In perspective playing a plain top 59 or so so figured 59 is still playing a 59 which you would have paid a similar price for. The aspect for sure changed. Just saying. More price point focused in relation to quality yet a variance is still unavoidable by necessity.

#32 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:58 AM

Oops DP... [unsure]

#33 User is offline   ikeus 

• LocationMarinette Wisconsin

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

View Postamerican cheez, on 09 June 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

that's such crock. not that he said it, but what he said, about being hand made and the need to choose one in person. they are made with as little handwork as possible, for one, and even those processes are refined down to a routine because after all, a gibson guitar is produced in a factory. they are not made one-at-a-time in a small workshop by some ancient luthier who looks like gepetto. it's a busy production facility that supplies the entire world with gibson guitars. they send hundreds and hundreds of them out the door every single day. that statement is henry using branding techniques in order to deceptively make people think of a gibson guitar as a boutique item that is rare and exclusive. the truth is, most of them are just like the rest. they are as ubiquitous to guitarists as potoato peelers are to a cook. you absolutely can buy them sight unseen and get a good guitar, and there is no valid excuse for not being able to do so. because even if henry had a factory full of santa's elves making the entire guitar by hand, there would still be no excuse for sending bad product out the door. especially when every single new guitar comes with a signed inspection card, and contains QC stampings in the body.

this type of branding isn't sustainable with the rest of gibson's marketing. stores are beginning to drop gibson due to the amount of guitars they are forced to carry, and the dealer price increases, as well as other rules for retailers. eventually, ordering them through online retailers will be the only way to get one for alot of people. here in delaware there is nowhere near the selection i am used to seeing in toronto. yet, i did buy mine there (toronto) sight unseen, and got a wonderful instrument.

edit: here is an article that sort of underscores my point about branding. the economics aside, what they have to say about gibson's branding is accurate:
https://reverb.com/n...sive-over-time?

#34 User is offline   ikeus 

• LocationMarinette Wisconsin

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Great review/economics history of the electric guitar industry. I agree and have often said that both Gibson and Fender are pricing themselves out of the competition.
I would LOVE to purchase American built products. Guitars included but as stated in the paper my of us
feel hesitant going above a certain dollar level.
Its a wonder that both companies have found justification (and buyers) for their products. Again, look at the prices for automobiles nowadays.. Way past the $ 1499.00 VW Bug.

#35 User is offline   IanHenry 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostMegafrog, on 16 June 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

What do workers look like in English guitar factories? Oh wait, they don't make guitars there. Even Chapman imports his lineup.

http://www.gordonsmi...guitars/gemini/

http://www.fyldeguitars.com/

Ian

#36 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:20 PM

View PostIanHenry, on 18 June 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

I saw a couple of Andertons videos on these today. The Fylde guitars seemed interesting to me. I stand corrected, they do build guitars there.

#37 User is offline   darling67 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:37 PM

I accept guitars as is... they're all unique, and they're all going to have their own finish characteristics, and other quirks that might be nothing to some, and something to others.

I've hardly ever purchased a guitar off the wall of a guitar shop. It's not all that important. I order them online or over the phone, as the models I want are never ones that are kept in-stock. Plus, I don't want to buy a guitar that's already been played by potentially a dozen people or more during its time in the shop before I could get to it.

Does it play well... does it sound good? That's all any of us should be concerned with.
RESIST

#38 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• I doubt I'm entitled to a title
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:35 AM

View PostIanHenry, on 18 June 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

I have a Fylde guitar. I bought it as a 2nd (cosmetic flaw - not for retail) from the original premises in Kirkham from Roger himself in the mid 70s.
I have never craved another steel strung acoustic since then.

There is now also Fibonacci, which are Peerless (Korean) "...The guitars are built in the far-East, and then the final assembly, painting, lacquering and hand finish is done in the UK."

https://guitarvillag...itars/fibonacci

and Bailey: https://shop.baileyguitars.co.uk/

not to mention that RabsWood geezer!
Hagstrom Deuce / Fylde Acoustic / Variax Standard / Gibson ES-339 / Gibson LP Less+ / PRS SE Custom24 / Hofner HCT-J17 / Camps Spanish / Jackson Soloist / Rickenbacker 650 /Squier Esprit
Miele S5 Power 2200w Vacuum Cleaner
Makita BO3710 Finishing Sander
Verdict 6" vernier scale calipers
Whittard of Chelsea Florence blue teapot
Spear & Jackson 1712PF/INS12 trenching fork

Posted Image put the kettle on
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#39 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:35 AM

"I've hardly ever purchased a guitar off the wall of a guitar shop."

I hear you but when I hit GPS here there are five, just Guitar Centers within 50 miles, let alone sam ash, ma and pa shops etc. To me it only makes sense in a case where I cant find what I'm looking for in person.

But your right on-line is a plus for sure. To me on line brings the biggest issue with weight though. Granted places like sweetwater resolve the issue but by large this point is avoided. As a result all my LP weight is in the 8.5 range and my Strats under 7.5. Also this varies with neck thickness first fret which Gibson is fairly accurate with but not Fender. To me the issue with thin/fat profiles resides in first position clean fretting. For example the 30-60 and 60 profile by large are a slight problem in this area for me with 4 finger chord fretting at times. The .900 plus are OK but slightly too thick.

Also places like MF etc, your not looking at the actual electric your buying unless its a scratch and dent. Your buying in the blind.

#40 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:35 AM

View Postdarling67, on 18 June 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

I accept guitars as is... they're all unique, and they're all going to have their own finish characteristics, and other quirks that might be nothing to some, and something to others.

I've hardly ever purchased a guitar off the wall of a guitar shop. It's not all that important. I order them online or over the phone, as the models I want are never ones that are kept in-stock. Plus, I don't want to buy a guitar that's already been played by potentially a dozen people or more during its time in the shop before I could get to it.

Does it play well... does it sound good? That's all any of us should be concerned with.

100% agreeing with this.
/Ray

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users